Chelsea Clinton | Chris Kluwe | Football (American) | Minneapolis | Minnesota | News | Sports

Former NFL Punter Chris Kluwe Says He Has Witnesses to Homophobia at the Vikings

Chris-kluweFormer Vikings punter Chris Kluwe says he has witnesses to his claims about homophobic behavior by officials with the Minnesota team, he tells USA Today:

"I'm glad they're taking it seriously. This is something I wrote down, because it's what happened to me, and I'm 100 percent confident in what I wrote, and there are witnesses that will back me up. Let the investigation begin."

In related news, Chelsea Clinton offered her support to Kluwe this morning, tweeting: "We should never punt when it comes to equality, @ChrisWarcraft is a great example."

Comments

1. I wonder how many of his witnesses value their jobs more than they value the truth. I hope he has courageous friends who will speak the truth, but money makes strange bedfellows. I wish him the best.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 4, 2014 6:34:10 PM

2. This reminds me of the retribution people faced for speaking out against the Viet Nam war. Those people paid the price for decades. Prime Examples: Eartha Kitt, Mohammed Ali, John Kerry, Dr. Benjamin Spock the list goes on. Their careers were nearly killed and then, of course, punishment from the IRS. After Andy Warhol made an unflattering portrait of that monster, Richard Nixon, he was audited and hounded by the IRS until the day he died.

Posted by: ricky rocky | Jan 4, 2014 6:35:56 PM

3. wonder what they will try and dig up on Chris. watch.

Posted by: ricky rocky | Jan 4, 2014 6:37:18 PM

4. I have no tolerance for homophobia in any context.

That being said the turnover rate for NFL athletes is astonishing...most of them are on and off a team pretty quickly. Only the greatest have real staying power. This guy may just be trying to rationalize his firing on this one thing. It could have just been regular turnover.

Posted by: AmericanDreamer | Jan 4, 2014 6:52:57 PM

5. He being released for his views is a secondary issue to he suffering workplace discrimination for his views.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 4, 2014 7:15:41 PM

6. I don't generally believe a disgruntled worker who was let go from his position because of performance.

Posted by: Perry | Jan 4, 2014 7:16:53 PM

7. @Ricky Rocky

Your first comment's a cringe-worthy sensationalist comparison.

I agree with your second comment though.

Posted by: Leo | Jan 4, 2014 8:06:23 PM

8. Perry: is that because you're a dirtbag, or just marginally retarded ?

Posted by: Buckie | Jan 4, 2014 8:14:30 PM

9. or both.

Posted by: simon | Jan 4, 2014 9:31:20 PM

10. Unless I am wrong, Kluwe is coming forward because this coach is going for another job somewhere else. This isn't an issue of a disgruntled fired employee, its of a man who has been an outspoken advocate of gay rights continuing his quest.

As for the witnesses, they're going to be under oath.

Posted by: michael | Jan 4, 2014 10:21:51 PM

11. Considering the former head coach of the Vikings is black, maybe Kluwe is just a big ole racist. Or maybe when this card doesn't work out for him, Kluwe can play the race one. Win Win!

Posted by: MIke | Jan 5, 2014 12:13:34 AM

12. anyone doubting kluwe's accusations:

name the top 5 nfl teams with the highest number of openly gay players...i'm waiting...

Posted by: northalabama | Jan 5, 2014 2:15:05 AM

13. Thank you so much for being an ally!!

Posted by: Tom | Jan 5, 2014 11:59:38 AM

14. After that huge clusterf*ck this year about the culture of bullying in the NFL and how basically everyone in the organization tried to spin it as something acceptable, I can only imagine what these teams are like behind closed doors when the gay element is inserted.

Posted by: JMC | Jan 5, 2014 1:52:41 PM

15. Well, last year I guess. Happy new years lol

Posted by: JMC | Jan 5, 2014 1:55:22 PM

16. @Perry: "I don't generally believe a disgruntled worker who was let go from his position because of performance."

Did you ever consider that his performance was affected by the hostile work environment?

Maybe you've been blessed to only work with people that like you. But, those of us who have had homophobic or generally nasty bosses can attest that it affects your job performance.

Posted by: alex | Jan 5, 2014 8:35:50 PM

17. When you have no intelligent argument to make, resort to name calling. Awesome.

And FYI, if you actually did your research and looked at his stats, they have been on a slow decline from his highs for the last 2 to 3 seasons.

I love how people will blindly accept his word without anything to substantiate it.

Once again, I usually don't believe a disgruntled former employee fired for performance. A man as outspoken as he is would have said something about this environment a LONG time ago. I think he is more interested in selling his planned memoir (why does he need to write a memoir?).

Posted by: Perry | Jan 6, 2014 10:42:49 AM