Gay Couple Who Married at the Grammys Talks About Their Experience: VIDEO

Gossfield

Deondray and Quincy Gossfield spoke with HuffPost Live about participating in the wedding of 34 gay and straight couples at the Grammys during Macklemore's performance of the gay rights anthem "Same Love".

The couple lost it during the ceremony when they locked eyes with Katy Perry and Paul McCartney.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

If you missed the Grammys performance, check it out HERE.

Comments

1. They are both so beautiful, and very good film makers. But I'm not sure the last name is correct.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 27, 2014 2:30:07 PM

2. The host starts out saying "It was such a moving moment." Ummm...no it wasn't. It came across as silly and trite, actually. Queen Latifah telling the couples to exchange rings? And then pronouncing them married? There were really no vows, no families present, and you couldn't see most of the couples. It was a staged-production. It was not "moving." It was rushed, as they tried to cram it in to the last half of the "Same Love" song. I was shaking my head as I watched it.

Posted by: Jon | Jan 27, 2014 2:32:35 PM

3. It might not have been moving for you, but it certainly was for millions of other people. And, you know, the people who GOT MARRIED.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 27, 2014 2:37:26 PM

4. Sorry hater, it was moving. And also inspirational to the millions of gay kids out there that will see this and feel that there is hope and support for their futures.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jan 27, 2014 2:43:33 PM

5. BAWLED watching it last night, and my mum and dad called me after the performance; both of them in tears as well.

Millions of young people around the world just saw a massive joyous celebration of love and diversity and equality.

Only a bitter hater with no love in their own lives would find reason to complain.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 27, 2014 2:46:05 PM

6. How cute are the Gossfields? Hey, I enjoyed it and I'm glad they especially did. THAT is all that matters!

Posted by: Regan DuCasse | Jan 27, 2014 2:47:53 PM

7. I thought it was hugely moving! History in the making.

Posted by: Stephani | Jan 27, 2014 3:39:04 PM

8. It is sad that we are living in a world that people now want to make the most intimate and private moments of their lives a public spectacle. Too many people seeking some form of fame and notoriety.

Posted by: Perry | Jan 27, 2014 3:44:55 PM

9. I'm not a bitter hater with no love, but I sort of agree with the idea it was just too much of a gimmick. I am certainly happy for the couples who are now married. I'm just sorry they had to be part of what appeared to be a poorly put together production for ratings and day after commentary. If people were moved, great. It just didn't do much for me. I just didn't think it was very well done. Maybe there's just been SO MUCH hype over that song and I'm too close to the issue to understand how non-gay viewers may have perceived it. It just felt very contrived. But all the best to the couples who got married. I certainly wouldn't be upset having Madonna sing at my wedding.

Posted by: Sam | Jan 27, 2014 3:46:13 PM

10. I didn't see the show, only a poor quality video of this sequence, which did not impress me. However, this interview was wonderful and moving. Congratulations to the Gossfields and every other couple who married that day.

Posted by: John Freeman | Jan 27, 2014 4:04:39 PM

11. I don't see it as a gimmick at all. The gimmick at last night's show was Daft Punk aka R2D2/CP3O. The marriage ceremony was fine - we're talking 34 couples here - so there couldn't have been individual vows much less a single vow statement because not every couple would agree to that. I was absolutely choked up. I was dismayed that the ceremony wasn't conducted by NPH instead of the "am I or aren't I" Latifa and disgusted by Madonna and her one-act cane. I loved the Carol King/Sara Bareilles medley and it was an honor to see/hear McCartney and Ringo and Willie and Kristofferson. I lost it when the camera panned to Keith Urban and the guy was crying. It was all very moving and amazing.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jan 27, 2014 4:17:49 PM

12. BTW, correct me if I'm wrong here but I didn't see one couple kissing and that was a big omission from the show. Apparently CBS is too afraid to show something like two men or women kissing or even a heterosexual couple kissing. Grow up CBS.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jan 27, 2014 4:21:57 PM

13. I don't think I would want my marriage to be at the Grammys, but this was HUGE. And very moving. Hats off to Macklemore and Lewis, and all others involved, for making this happen. Marriage equality - for ALL - just moved a step closer to truly being what it needs to be - One Love.

Posted by: KC | Jan 27, 2014 4:39:35 PM

14. Nothing says a loving, intimate engagement like a mass wedding on television in front of no one you know then giving a press release afterwards.

Posted by: Garst | Jan 27, 2014 5:09:18 PM

15. Umm...the idea was to make a statement about marriage equality to maybe a billion people. It wasn't about intimacy.

Honey, there are some real b.tches on this blog today .

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 27, 2014 5:14:04 PM

16. The whole thing was a gimmick. Embarrassing.

The mass aspect of it was cultist. Shame on any gay person who took part in this stunt. You should be ashamed to call yourself a gay person.

Posted by: jason | Jan 27, 2014 5:17:34 PM

17. I thought it was going to be gimmicky too but when I watched it I was very moved. I thought it was actually very beautiful and I imagine the couples who got married had a fantastic experience. After all weddings are about broadcasting your love for each other and commitment to each other for the entire world to see. I now really like the idea and wouldn't mind having been one of the participants.

Posted by: Jersey | Jan 27, 2014 5:58:22 PM

18. If anyone knows about being ashamed of himself it's @JASON..

Posted by: ger | Jan 27, 2014 6:01:30 PM

19. The whole thing was an embarrassment to the GLBT community. The gay couples were used by Macklemore and by Madonna. Note that they were allowed to be there (in small numbers) and were not even shown to be kissing (which is normal for marriages).

Used, used, used. Do gay people enjoy being used so much? Is it because we like the punishment?

Epic fail on the part of the gay couples and epic fail on the part of Towleroad for failing to criticize the gimmicky nature of the mass wedding.

Posted by: jason | Jan 27, 2014 6:07:18 PM

20. Btw Deondray and Quincy make an adorable couple, congratulations guys!

Posted by: Jersey | Jan 27, 2014 6:14:30 PM

21. I would never partake on something like this, but good for them and I hope they got the most out of it.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 27, 2014 6:42:35 PM

22. "The whole thing was an embarrassment to the GLBT community."

Blah blah blah. First of all, you're constantly whining that the T is even included amongst L, G and B. Your lack of consistency proves how big of a concern troll you are.

Secondly, don't presume to speak for the LBGT community. I'm not convinced you are gay. Rather, I suspect you're just Maggie Gallagher rotating through a bumper crop of Krispy Kremes and common male screen names.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 27, 2014 6:45:45 PM

23. Jason, Sam and Jon are just aliases the same bitter troll who hates himself so much that he has to criticize any and all public demonstrations of homosexual affection. These kind of marriages draw his scorn because he knows he'll never get to be a part of one, or even invited to any weddings. Poor, sad troll.

Posted by: Tyler | Jan 27, 2014 6:46:49 PM

24. No different than the Moonie mass weddings.

Posted by: Marty | Jan 27, 2014 6:57:09 PM

25. It was an embarrassment.

Posted by: jason | Jan 27, 2014 6:58:03 PM