John Grant’s ‘Glacier’ is a Stunning Collage of LGBT History: MUSIC VIDEO

I suggest you enlarge the screen.

Lyrics:

You just want to live your life
The best way you know how
But they keep on telling you
That you are not allowed

They say you are sick
That you should hang your head in shame
They are pointing fingers
And want you to take the blame

There are days when people are
So nasty and convincing
They say things beyond belief
That sting and leave you wincing

And to boot they say their words
Come straight down from above
And they really seem to think
That what they're doing counts as love

This pain
It is a glacier moving through you
And carving out deep valleys
And creating spectacular landscapes
And nourishing the ground
With precious minerals and other stuff
So, don't you become paralyzed with fear
When things seem particularly rough

Don't you pay them f–kers as they say no never mind
They don't give two sh–s about you. It's the blind leading the blind
What they want is commonly referred to as theocracy
And what that boils down to is referred as hypocrisy

Don't listen to anyone; get answers on your own
Even if it means that sometimes you feel quite alone
No one on this planet can tell you what to believe
People like to talk a lot, and they like to deceive

This pain

And carving out deep valleys
And creating spectacular landscapes
And nourishing the ground
With precious minerals and other stuff
So, don't you become paralyzed with fear
When things seem particularly rough

Comments

1. Zlick says

That was amazing. The glacial pace sure has picked up in recent years, eh? The video could barely capture the speed and intensity of the recent advances in marriage equality – but that’s a mere quibble. This is a fantastic pastiche of gay history that I hope every one of my Facebook friends will take 7 minutes to watch. It’s so rad.

2. Howard B says

Amazing! This is especially poignant to me since I have lived through, and experienced most the changes that were shown and have occurred in the modern gay rights movement.

3. Howard B says

4. CPT_Doom says

Amazing video – I just wished they’d been able to include some of the video of supporters in ME, MD, MN or WA getting the good news last November. However, it’s nice that there’s too much going on now to include even most of it in a video like this.

5. j says

Meh. Seems like lots of movie images –

So we have hitler and Woodrow Wilson & Robbie benson!
    But somehow he left out
    The list goes on –

HIV aids but no
    Keith herring or
    David Wojnarowicz
    It’s empty and ahistorical

6. says

In a few days I’ll be 77, and this is like seeing my life flash before my eyes. I have been in the front lines of the gay rights movement for over 40 years and knew many of our heroes as friends.I even have a few footnotes in our history. It’s been a great ride from out of the closet into the Pride mode and getting towards that day of equal rights in America. I may not get there for that day, just as thousands and thousands fellow marchers. However for you who may now have joined the march… now is the time to recognize and appreciate those who came before you,gays and non-gays,in all fields… who helped knock down barriers,and fought back…THANK YOU HERE,THERE AND EVERYWHERE.

7. Movies On A Plane says

Glad to see John Grant getting coverage here. Pale Green Ghosts was a late 2013 discovery for me and quickly vaulted into my top five albums for the year. Funny and emotional with some cool electronic embellishments.

This video for “Glacier” (the album closer) is quite a document.

8. Knock says

With the exception of the Pussy Riot references, this wasn’t nearly as international in scope as it should have been. The US mightbe making strides toward equality now, but equality was achieved in other countries 10+ years ago – those achievements are just as relevant and valid as any occurring in the US.

9. Connor says

Laughable…
    This passes for “deep lyrics”?

With precious minerals and other stuff
    So, don’t you become paralyzed with fear
    When things seem particularly rough

Stuff, rough… black black fluff.