Glee | New York | News

'Glee' Moving to NYC, Entirely

'Glee' is moving entirely to NYC for the remainder of the season, Fox entertainment's chairman confirmed on Monday, EW reports:

GLEE-NYCThe move has been rumored for a few months, but this marks the first confirmation from the network. Reilly also confirmed once again that next season, the show’s sixth, will be the last for the musical comedy.

He also said there would be shake-ups in the cast.

“Some are going to be graduating and moving; creatively, it would be ridiculous that everybody moves to New York,” he said. “There will be some that will graduate and move on and they’ll arc back in when we do special episodes. They’ll always be a part of it… But for this season, there will be a graduation, several of the cast members will move on and a few others will go to New York.”

There were rumors a few months back that the show would be moving Kurt Hummel to Russia. No further word on that.

Comments

1. Thats fine by me. The show needs to grow with the characters and the gang in high school are not compelling. Just don't move everyone to NYC. Focus on Rachel, Kurt, Santana, Blaine. That's all. Don't send Artie to NYC or Tina or anyone else. Sorry Marley and the rest, you had a good run.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Jan 14, 2014 12:11:10 PM

2. Like 2 seasons too late Murphy. At least he knows the show is over.

Posted by: Sam | Jan 14, 2014 12:13:01 PM

3. “Some are going to be graduating and moving; creatively, it would be ridiculous that everybody moves to New York,”

Yeah, we wouldn't want that 'cause GLEE has never ventured anywhere near the neighborhood of ridiculous.

Posted by: Bart | Jan 14, 2014 12:50:21 PM

4. Sadly, this show jumped the shark a long time ago.

Posted by: UGH | Jan 14, 2014 1:19:52 PM

5. I'm fine with this, as long as they keep Unique as part of the main NYC cast along with Kurt and Santana. If they dump Blaine and give Adam Lambert's character more screen time and singing parts, then I'd be behind that 100%.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jan 14, 2014 1:38:15 PM

6. Man, I used to love this show and judging by the ratings, a lot of others abandoned it as well. This change is a season and a half too late. I always felt like the show ended, quite naturally, when Rachel, the star graduated. After that, sure, start a spin-off focusing on Rachel in NYC. But no, we got this weird split show taking place in NYC with a character we care about, and Lima, OH with lesser characters and new characters we don't care about going through the same motions. The Finn/Cory Monteith tribute this season was pretty amazing stuff though and I hope the creative team is recognized for that but otherwise I'm done with the show. I'll just fondly watch the early episodes on Netflix.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jan 14, 2014 1:50:53 PM

7. I think this is a mistake. The only thing I like this season are the new kids at the high school. I find the New York sequences unbelievable (even by Glee standards-- and some things just absurd) and boring. The show has never worked for me when they go outside tthe high school-- it's a show about high school kids in glee chorus after all.

Posted by: Robert | Jan 14, 2014 4:52:15 PM

8. Is this still on?

Posted by: Ha! | Jan 14, 2014 5:03:08 PM

9. Is this still on?

Posted by: Ha! | Jan 14, 2014 5:03:09 PM

10. This may help, but it won't matter if they continue to write a show about songs available for purchase on itunes, with the characters and their stories as an afterthought. They need to write good drama about these characters with the songs thrown in as a twist. I've never seen a show that cares less about its characters. They set up major plot arcs, only to drop them completely or wrap them up in a single episode. Characters can go for months with no dialogue and then suddenly appear and then disappear.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 14, 2014 5:03:53 PM

11. But the 2012-13 school years is STILL going on since we found out at the end of last season, it was not even close to the end of the school year.
    This better NOT mean no more Blake Jenner this year! And he is only a junior...does this mean he is not back next year?

Posted by: Bobby | Jan 14, 2014 8:58:12 PM

12. I loved the show for the first 3 seasons.
    I understand why they wanted to keep so many of the original cast, but I think they should have kept the premise of the show as a HS Glee Club. The old stars could come back for visits and catch us up on their lives.
    With proper casting and better writing this show could have remained fresh, clever and groundbreaking. As it is, it's just too scattered, ridiculous and blah....
    Or perhaps they could have just ended the show and do a spin-off with the favorite characters outside of HS. Either way, they lost me in season 4...it had a very few good episodes and story-lines, but overall it just sucks now. Not to mention the trans kid didn't get a single solo, even though "she" had the best new voice IMO.

Posted by: John | Jan 18, 2014 1:26:53 PM