Big Brother | Boxing | Evander Holyfield | News

Boxing Champ Evander Holyfield: Being Gay 'is a Choice' and Gays are 'Handicapped': VIDEO

Holyfield

Former heavyweight champion boxer Evander Holyfield is making headlines in Britain for remarks he made on UK Celebrity Big Brother that being gay is being "handicapped" and "is a choice."

He added, "What would be good about it? That ain’t normal."

Holyfield was warned by the show's producers in a 'private' talk that his comments were "extremely offensive" and have caused outrage from viewers, including pop star Boy George, who tweeted, "Shame, I had such admiration for Mr Evander Holyfield, he seemed dignified and I was sure he was a cool, smart, giant!", later adding, "I think anyone visiting this country for any reason should be cautioned and forced to swear allegiance to 'Queens & country!!," before adding: "At customs there should be a huge sign! Welcome to Britain, racism, sexism, homophobia and bad hair are not tolerated!"

Watch Holyfield's remarks, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. The show also has on it this year a famously bi/gay star from the biggest relaity show in the uk, hopefully olly will teach him some Chelsea manners!!

Posted by: Arch | Jan 6, 2014 5:05:05 AM

2. Boxing is very much a sport involving domination of another person. I would not be surprised if due to his close bonds with other male boxers and athletes, paired with abstaining from sex during training, as some boxers do, he likely had thoughts of dominating his opponents in other ways. I don't think he's gay, I think he is 'top' minded, and when he talks about gay people he's talking about being a 'bottom'. I find a lot of straight people say "gay" or "fag", but really mean "bottom, catcher, submissive" when you look at the context with which they use it.

It's still abhorrent and based in ignorance, but you can't have a proper discussion or debate unless you know where your opposition is coming from.

Posted by: Bryan | Jan 6, 2014 5:53:04 AM

3. Another brain dead sports figure pontificating on things he doesn't begin to understand. Why bother?

Posted by: John Freeman | Jan 6, 2014 7:07:04 AM

4. he has a right to his opinion and u have a right to not like it otherwise stfu

Posted by: will | Jan 6, 2014 7:08:40 AM

5. not overly bright, is he?

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jan 6, 2014 7:31:22 AM

6. @Will
    Then why don't you follow your own advice and STFU.

Posted by: ELI | Jan 6, 2014 7:49:50 AM

7. Too many punches in the head.

And with his own life facts he is in no position to judge nobody

Posted by: jjose712 | Jan 6, 2014 7:57:11 AM

8. Don't his statements cancel one another out? If it's a "handicap," how can it also be a "choice"?

Posted by: Shelly | Jan 6, 2014 8:57:42 AM

9. Yeah, I chose to be gay so overblown, famous-in-their-own-mind "celebrities" could bash me at will. I don't think so, Mr Holyfield; I was born gay, just as you were born black. Same difference; it's in our genes. The sooner homophobes like you learn that the better off the country will be!

Posted by: DamSexy | Jan 6, 2014 9:17:13 AM

10. Oh please, it's Evander Holyfield. Why am I not surprised nor bothered by what he thinks? I mean...this is a guy who's ears were chewed off by Mike Tyson in the ring. Hard not seeing that everytime he talks about anything. All I see is his lack of ears.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jan 6, 2014 10:23:30 AM

11. People still watch BB?

Posted by: anon | Jan 6, 2014 10:36:02 AM

12. Why pay any attention to someone who has had all sanity knocked out of them years ago? Think of the visible effects of boxing on Mohamed Ali

Posted by: acde | Jan 6, 2014 10:42:15 AM

13. Instead of treating Holyfield with hatred, why not just understand that he's ignorant? Ignorance is not evil. The guy just needs to be educated.

Posted by: mark | Jan 6, 2014 11:21:44 AM

14. A professional boxer with no education from the Bible Belt. Also, with what? Fourteen children by 10 different women?

Why? Is Evander the answer to the Duck Dynasty Fool?

Andy, what was the purpose of putting this news story on your blog?

What the f.ck would Evander know about marriage equality for Gays. Hell, he doesn't know what Straight marriage is.

Andy, please.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 6, 2014 11:45:20 AM

15. This man is nothing more than a brain-dead neanderthal. Which means that many will be applauding his words.

Posted by: Reginald | Jan 6, 2014 11:53:52 AM

16. He knows it's a "choice" because he once was "gay" and then "chose" not to be? Or did he just fart out the answer after a bad batch of cheese nachos?

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jan 6, 2014 12:40:04 PM

17. He's evangelical scum. What else could we expect?

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 6, 2014 1:12:58 PM

18. Must have been punched in the head one too many times, or Mike Tyson sucked out some brains while he was chewing Evander's ear off.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Jan 6, 2014 3:51:22 PM

19. Too many blows to the head. That brain has bounced around against the skull a few too many times to make much sense of anything.

Posted by: reality | Jan 6, 2014 4:05:12 PM

20. Why the hell would anyone choose to be gay AND hated? He is a foolish has-been and chooses to be a homophobic bigot. THAT is what rises to the level of "handicapped".

Posted by: ToThePoint | Jan 6, 2014 4:32:24 PM

21. It is not a choice, but can you really say it is genetic? I am not sure. I can not say if I was born homo or hetero sexual. Didn't give much thought to sex until hormones kicked in. Would genetics determine what hormones and at what level they act? I do know when I made the comparison in college (Towson State) between homosexuality and being black I was criticized aggressively by the BSU, the BSA and more.

Posted by: taylor | Jan 6, 2014 5:36:35 PM

22. It is not a choice, but can you really say it is genetic? I am not sure. I can not say if I was born homo or hetero sexual. Didn't give much thought to sex until hormones kicked in. Would genetics determine what hormones and at what level they act? I do know when I made the comparison in college (Towson State) between homosexuality and being black I was criticized aggressively by the BSU, the BSA and more.

Posted by: taylor | Jan 6, 2014 5:36:35 PM

23. It is not a choice, but can you really say it is genetic? I am not sure. I can not say if I was born homo or hetero sexual. Didn't give much thought to sex until hormones kicked in. Would genetics determine what hormones and at what level they act? I do know when I made the comparison in college (Towson State) between homosexuality and being black I was criticized aggressively by the BSU, the BSA and more.

Posted by: taylor | Jan 6, 2014 5:36:36 PM

24. It is not a choice, but can you really say it is genetic? I am not sure. I can not say if I was born homo or hetero sexual. Didn't give much thought to sex until hormones kicked in. Would genetics determine what hormones and at what level they act? I do know when I made the comparison in college (Towson State) between homosexuality and being black I was criticized aggressively by the BSU, the BSA and more.

Posted by: taylor | Jan 6, 2014 5:36:36 PM

25. It is not a choice, but can you really say it is genetic? I am not sure. I can not say if I was born homo or hetero sexual. Didn't give much thought to sex until hormones kicked in. Would genetics determine what hormones and at what level they act? I do know when I made the comparison in college (Towson State) between homosexuality and being black I was criticized aggressively by the BSU, the BSA and more.

Posted by: taylor | Jan 6, 2014 5:36:40 PM