Melissa Harris-Perry | Mitt Romney | News

BigGayDeal.com

Melissa Harris-Perry Apologizes to Mitt Romney for Mocking 'Diverse' Family; Romney Accepts — VIDEO

Harrisperry

On Sunday, Mitt Romney accepted a tearful apology from , MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry for a New Year's segment that ran on her show in which panelists mocked a family photo in which Romney's adopted black infant grandson Kieran Romney appeared amid a sea of white faces.

RomneyfamilyIn the segment, actress Pia Glenn sang "One of these things is not like the other … and that little baby, front and center, would be the one," as panelists laughed.

Said Harris-Perry in her apology: "Whatever the intent was, the reality is that the segment proceeded in a way that was offensive, and showing the photo in that context, that segment, was poor judgment," she said. "So without reservation or qualification, I apologize to the Romney family....Also, allow me to apologize to other families formed through transracial adoption because I am deeply sorry that we suggested that interracial families are in any way funny or deserving of ridicule."

Said Romney in an appearance on FOX News Sunday this morning: "I recognize that people make mistakes, and the folks at MSNBC made a big mistake. They’ve apologized for it. That’s all can you ask for. I am going to mover on from that. I am sure they want to move on from it. Look, I’ve made plenty of mistakes myself. They’ve apologized for this. You know, I think we can go on from there.”

Watch both segments, AFTER THE JUMP...

Romney

Comments

1. What are these people at MSNBC thinking? Is this their answer to countering their arch rivals, Fox? Where can a sane person get some sensible, straight forward news and honest analysis? It's pathetic. And don't answer with PBS, BBC, CBC, etc., they are likewise pretty sad.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 5, 2014 10:56:34 AM

2. For straight forward news I go to BBC, France24, EURO News, even AlJazeera......they all give fact based news.

I didn't hear the original segment, I did see the apology.
    What struck me about the pic above was that all the boys were in blue , all the girls in pink.
    This is stereotyping with steroids. No one shall diverge from the imposed norm.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Jan 5, 2014 11:05:36 AM

3. How MAGNANIMOUS and WONDERFUL "Mitt the twit" is!
    Think that I am going to be totally nauseated . . .

News flash MSNBC he deservedly lost!

Posted by: Mike | Jan 5, 2014 11:11:52 AM

4. This was so horrible...why didn't they fire her like Alec Baldwin?....

Posted by: Ankerich | Jan 5, 2014 11:16:40 AM

5. Totally agree with rat bastard. They should SO fire her. Last I heard, MSNBC ratings were so bad that they REALLY can't afford a liability such as her (and she's supposed to be educated). Now, I'm a confessed/avowed/diehard/whatever liberal, and I DESPISE romney/paul/gingrich/o'reilly/hannity/limburger/all them other cats, but what Ms. Thing did on that panel TOTALLY smacked of what they're infamous for and I was SO upset and highly embarrassed when I read about her and her panel!

Posted by: H | Jan 5, 2014 11:32:13 AM

6. Why is it that the Fox crowd can ride roughshod, and Rush can go all ballistic on us.

But when we do it to them, we convene a firing squad and help the Fox crowd fire on our guy (or gal).

Why is this so?

Posted by: kdknyc | Jan 5, 2014 11:34:18 AM

7. I love MHP and saw the segment when it aired. It struck me as so not her and I was shocked. That said I could tell her apology was genuine and I know she's horrified that she put that photo up for mockery. Progressive liberals who accept everyone just don't do this kind of thing. I seriously teared up with her during her apology to the point my partner noticed. Guess I have a lot invested in MHP and I love her show, it's really great.

Posted by: jersey | Jan 5, 2014 12:02:16 PM

8. Ooooh brother, really?

What MHP guests said on her show wasn't so inaccurate. Insensitive and maybe poor judgement, yes. She apologized, (which FOX would never do), the idiot accepted. Time to move on.

How many offensive and insensitive comments has the right wing (FOX, Rush, Hannity, Coulter, etc... spouted and no one says a thing. Unbelievable.

Posted by: Will G. | Jan 5, 2014 12:31:49 PM

9. I just watched the original clip, and yes, the joke made by one of the guests "one of these things..." is a little insensitive, but c'mon, it was funny. The joke would not have been made if there were only, say, 4 grandchildren, one of whom was black. The humor comes from the overwhelming white majority in the picture. There was absolutely nothing racist about it.

Posted by: Chip | Jan 5, 2014 12:59:22 PM

10. Can we make fun of the color of Mitt's face instead?

Posted by: Jamey | Jan 5, 2014 1:25:13 PM

11. I kind of agree with Chip in that Romney is lily-white and so anti-everything diverse that the sight of him with a black grandchild is rather amusing, especially in the context of there being SO many other lily-white children. And not sure why she is apologizing for supposed racist language. Her joke was a jab at the juxtaposition of seeing something so incongruous with Romney's (and Mormon's) images. It was a j

Posted by: Macguffin54 | Jan 5, 2014 1:33:53 PM

12. (sorry, my phone posted my comment before I was done). It was a joke at Romney's expense not the baby's. Were it not for his image and the lily-white image of Mormons the comment never would have been made. If the photo was of a similar grouping of kids and Hillary Clinton or someone similar the comment would also not have been made. Romney has bred this monochromatic image of himself so he has only himself to blame.

Posted by: Macguffin54 | Jan 5, 2014 1:39:38 PM

13. @WILL G. completely agree. The root of the problem however is that the so called mainstream media spends the majority of their time with rumor mongering and idiotic divisive stories than doing any real journalism. Why are they spending time talking about that photo anyway... there is plenty of other real issues that need discussion. The reason of course is that the media is controlled by multinational corporations whose job is to distract people from any and all important issues. They do this by blanketing the airwaves with drivel and ridiculous apologies after the fact. Fox News and the conservative outlets of course just flat out lie, and if they do retract anything it is at 3 a.m. when no one is watching.

I urge all of you to watch TYT and Al Jazeera...even the BBC is tainted these days...

Posted by: Gerry | Jan 5, 2014 2:18:38 PM

14. It's not racist to say that the Romney family's adoption of a black child is ridiculous, revolting, hypocritical and quite honestly, very disgusting. They have championed EVERYTHING that goes against helping the black community, and then out-of-the-blue, the adopt a black girl?! It's literally a PR move to the extent I've not seen. It's like every German family post-WWII adopting a Jewish child; just makes no sense and you can see through it. The worst part?- they're playing with actual human beings now, these Romney's, not just laws and insane statements.

Posted by: Drew | Jan 5, 2014 2:50:09 PM

15. Of course shouldn't be fired and I don't think she should have apologized after the twitter sorry.

Has anyone at Fixed News ever apologized? Homophobic, racist, sexist stuff is the stock and trade over there.

Harris-Perry is a breath of fresh air on cable news, this segment was dumb but offensive? After all, Perry is herself a biracial person.

As with all cable programs I say stick to the facts (Perry, Maddow, Hayes) and a few laughs will follow.

By the way, I refuse to take the bait of every little media lead outrage story for this year.

I ask the rest of you to just say no.

Posted by: raul415 | Jan 5, 2014 2:51:40 PM

16. Is he going to apologize for marginalizing LGBT families?

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 5, 2014 3:02:07 PM

17. MHP appears of mixed race so I'm surprised that the whole thing happened. Her apology seems genuine & Romney's response is generous as well.

I think many of the commenters here should recognize that our own behavior stems from what we know is right, that from whether someone else's is appropriate or outrageous. It doesn't matter if others apologized when they erred. What matters is that you do.

Posted by: petensfo | Jan 5, 2014 3:07:14 PM

18. Once again another racist feminist gets away with it....

Posted by: Ankerich | Jan 5, 2014 3:16:43 PM

19. In other news, one of those kids will grow up gay.

Posted by: Fox | Jan 5, 2014 3:19:03 PM

20. Probably a couple of them will.

This controversy is trivial. Where are the apologies from Fox pundits for all the offensive, lying crap they've spewed over the years and recently ?

And ANKERICH, don't pretend you're SOOO offended. Liar.

Posted by: Wendie Oh | Jan 5, 2014 3:32:16 PM

21. I wonder how many ppl who call for MHP's firing defended the Duck Dynasty guy's racist comments or Rush Limbaugh's comments about Chelsea Clinton when she was a child, or suggested Trayvon Martin deserved to be killed?

Posted by: mark | Jan 5, 2014 3:49:35 PM

22. she saved her job. msnbc would have bashired her. bashier...it rhymes with fire.

Posted by: woody | Jan 5, 2014 4:24:07 PM

23. Mitt should apologize for being a loser....LOL

Posted by: steve | Jan 5, 2014 4:27:21 PM

24. Wonder why he has so many children and grandchildren already and cared to adopt.
    That means another one to be raised by nanny?
    His model of one man one woman for raising kids definitely failed here. That woman is not likely to be his wife or daughter-in-law.

Posted by: simon | Jan 5, 2014 4:28:59 PM

25. Put on your big boy pants and grow up.....it was inappropriate, she should have been fired. I don't care who or what you are. Don't go after someone's children. Or grand children. I don't care who they are.

Posted by: Ha! | Jan 5, 2014 4:35:32 PM