Jonathan Groff | Looking | News

Jonathan Groff is Wet and Buff and Looking: PHOTO

Groff

Jonathan Groff, who stars in the gay HBO drama Looking, which premieres this Sunday, talks about filming the show in a new OUT magazine interview:

For Groff, who first visited the city two years ago, San Francisco feels like “the gay Oz.” He says he was particularly struck by the legend that San Francisco became a gay haven for sailors returning from the Pacific after World War II: “It was the last port of call for all the guys in the Navy, and the ones who were gay just stayed there because they didn’t want to go back to their lives.” Groff adds that the show’s three-month shoot, which took the characters to well-known San Francisco haunts like the Stud, the Café, and El Rio, was like a dream. “The street where I was staying smelled like jasmine,” he says. “I rode my bike every day to set. I was in heaven.”

“Our show is less about people at the beginning in their twenties figuring out who they are,” says Groff, “and more about people stepping into their lives in their thirties and forties and finding their place in the world.”

More insight on the show from director Andrew Haigh and other members of the cast here.

For all of our updates on Looking, including behind-the-scenes videos, trailers, and more, click over HERE.

Comments

1. "It is refreshing to see a show set and filmed in a part of the world other than LA or New York."

Lol, what? San Francisco is the baby L.A. and New York gave up for adoption.

I mean, heaven forbid they set a show about gay life in, I don't know, Topeka. Or Des Moines.

Posted by: Mike B. | Jan 15, 2014 7:37:55 PM

2. Another show about white gays doing whatever it is white gays do in the whitest gayest part of the city.

Posted by: Derrick | Jan 15, 2014 7:57:41 PM

3. Also calling it Girls for gays is pretty accurate considering Girls is set in Brooklyn and has no POC despite that very sitting being the embodiment of a "melting pot".

Posted by: Derrick | Jan 15, 2014 7:58:17 PM

4. Also it's really messed up to say there are more white gays than any other race when there isn't much gay minority visibility anywhere. One of the major problems the gay rights movement has now and has always had is most people see it as a "white gay mans" problem, which given that there is little to no visibility in media of gay and lesbian people of color that aren't walking stereotypes it's to be expected.

Posted by: Derrick | Jan 15, 2014 8:02:01 PM

5. Topeka or Des Moines? Who wants to watch that? Not I. Anyway, Queer as Folk was set in Pittsburgh. So there's your so-called Middle America setting.

So now a gay show is going to be set in a city with one of the largest gay populations in America? The fourth largest. The horrors of it all.

LOL. Some people will find a reason to complain no matter what. Only someone who doesn't live in SF and who hasn't been to SF would call it the baby LA.

Posted by: Greg | Jan 15, 2014 8:02:30 PM

6. Calling it Queer As Folk with beards is selling point for me. The one thing QAF was missing was bears IMO. Gays are so damn judgmental about EVERYTHING. I'll check it out and save my judgements til then. I find our current pop culture so aggravating in that people don't even give things a chance. They just automatically jump to hating it based in most cases on the pilot/trailer.

Eh.

Posted by: TweedleV | Jan 15, 2014 8:12:46 PM

7. "White, urban gay men dealing with, wait for it, relationships."

Uh, yeh, except for the fact that Murray Bartlett's character is struggling with turning 40 yet he's still waiting tables, and Russel Tovey and Jonathan Groff's characters work together at a video game development company, and Frankie Alvarez is a promising artist... all of which you can tell from the 120-second preview.

But, ya know, focus on one aspect of the storyline because you're a judgmental shitstain.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 15, 2014 8:27:33 PM

8. ...still, what's the twist?

Posted by: Felix | Jan 15, 2014 8:43:50 PM

9. He looks good I guess. Bu tI will say one thing…I have NO interest in this show. None. You would think I'd be excited about a show that focuses on gay men in their 30's and 40's but no. I'm not the only one, right?

Posted by: Bostonbeat | Jan 15, 2014 11:39:34 PM

10. I saw the first two episodes in a sneak preview for this show and I was really impressed. Diverse characters, beautifully shot, excellent acting. Its amazing all the haters out there who want to bash something they havent seen. So what its about gay guys with gay urban problems. Should we no longer make tv shows about anything because everything has been done already?

Posted by: S123 | Jan 16, 2014 12:53:21 AM

11. I liked the episodes I saw. And I'm very, very confused how anyone can watch the series and not see any diversity. Am I the only one that counts the black main character (O. T. Fagbenle) as significant? Has no one noticed the awesome actors that happen to be Latino? And my boyfriend lived on Pond street for a while, where it smells like jasmine (and urine!). I was very skeptical before seeing any episodes, but I was won over.

Posted by: Mike in SF | Jan 16, 2014 1:51:42 AM

12. You mean the black character that fails to appear in any of the posters or billboards? aaaah that one!

Posted by: Felix | Jan 16, 2014 12:38:44 PM