Looking | News | Tanner Cohen

BigGayDeal.com

'Looking' Actor Tanner Cohen Discusses His Threesome Scene [SPOILERS]

4_looking

Tanner Cohen (above, right), who plays Scotty, the third in the threesome between Agustin and Frank in the pilot episode of Looking, talked about filming the scene in a new interview with Gayletter:

The dynamic between a pre-existing couple is obviously something that is private, and I have had experiences where I’ve been the third party, so I tried to put myself in that position again. It’s actually a really safe position when it’s good, and it was really important for me that this story felt safe and authentic and that the emotions and the way we touched each other and moved around each other was the way real guys do. So I did draw a lot from personal experiences when we shot the scenes.

Cohen, who is gay in real-life (and not everyone in that scene is), also talks about his recommendations for meeting people:

Well, always say hi to someone that you think is cute. If you see someone around your neighborhood, always say hi to them, because there’s no harm in making a new friend. If you feel like s--t go out, don’t stay alone because you might meet somebody great. Let your friends be right in taking you out. That’s normally a time when I’m really primed to talk and meet someone is when I don’t think I am. I don’t know, as far as meeting people on the Internet, or in person, or at a bar or all that kind of thing, I have no idea. I think you need to do whatever the f--k you want. If you’re looking for sex, then look for sex. If you’re looking to find a boyfriend, then go for that. Everyone’s story is their own thing.

What did you think of Looking? Let us know in our Looking Back post HERE.

44_looking

Comments

1. Isn't the actor who plays Augustin the only straight one? i would be surprised if the actor who plays his boyfriend is also straight.

Posted by: John | Jan 20, 2014 11:48:45 AM

2. So ridiculous.

Posted by: Perry | Jan 20, 2014 12:12:32 PM

3. I thought this scene was one of the worst. It wasn't erotic because the characters weren't developed enough to have an emotionally involved interaction. It looked staged and choreographed, and came off as cold camp.

Posted by: will | Jan 20, 2014 12:16:00 PM

4. I watched the premiere episode last night and will just say it was not as bad as I expected. That is not to say that is was good--it seems that, as with Queer as Folk, the emphasis will be on sex and finding it, rather than on developing complex characters who happen to be gay. Surprise, surprise.

But at least the characters were not all a bunch of screaming queens or a bunch of gym bunnies with shaved chests.......lots of body hair on display, in fact, so maybe this is an indication that the hairless look is falling by the wayside.

Still, from the looks of the first episode, nothing groundbreaking and nothing to really get excited about.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 20, 2014 12:24:15 PM

5. Well, thank the gods Rick weighed in. I didn't know what to think until a rampant misogynistic, self-hating homophobic, racist, anti-fem, hypocritical fey vegan, humorless, gutless troll thought of it.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 20, 2014 12:40:28 PM

6. As someone who lives in San Francisco, "Looking" is about the worst representation of The City and its residents I've ever seen. My husband and I groaned throughout the entire show, and wondered what it was the writers were trying to convey. I agree with Rick, it wasn't groundbreaking and needs lots of work on its scripts if it wants to have a lasting influence and impact. We'll give it another try next week, but if it doesn't get any better, we will probably just DVR it and watch it later when nothing else is on.

Posted by: Keith | Jan 20, 2014 12:51:18 PM

7. In the first 20 minutes, there was public sex in a park, pot smoking, and a random 3 way. Yes, this is the way that I would like to be pictured by most of America. Personally, I would rather gay guys were represented by Will Truman on "Will & Grace."

And, living in SF, the thought that the hot Jonothan Groff, couldn't find
    a date was totally depressing. What luck do I have?

Posted by: Gr8guyca | Jan 20, 2014 1:33:10 PM

8. " I would rather gay guys were represented by Will Truman on "Will & Grace."

LMAO! Yeh, don't want anyone to think we might actually have sex... better to be depicted as sexless eunuchs.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 20, 2014 1:42:39 PM

9. I actually believe this scene was filmed quite effectively. When my partner and I watched this together last night, I could relate to that moment of hesitation when Agustin looked to his partner Frank with an almost "Is this okay?" look on his face as he started to initiate sex with Scotty. It was almost as if he was seeking permission before progressing. I believe this is the picture above of that precise moment in the scene. It implied to the viewers what many already know-- that opening a relationship up to multiple partners and even three- or more- partners at the same time has consequences that might be positive, negative, or both (and of course that depends on the couple and their own feelings towards being intimate with others). I felt that emotion inside me right when Agustin looked to Frank during that scene; and to me, that's what makes effective filmmaking.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Jan 20, 2014 2:25:48 PM

10. "CRISPY": He said he wasn't thrilled with the idea of gay men having sex in bushes, and that Will Truman would probably be a better representation. You immediately chime in with "eunuch", but there's no reason why a Will Truman-like character can't have gay sex -- without being in parks or public restrooms.

It's not the gay SEX people are objecting to, it's the park. (by the way, do people even HAVE sex in public parks anymore? I thought this was a relic of the pre-1980s). I don't mind a little sluttiness or sexual freedom, but a blowjob in a park doesn't ring true for the world I live in. The show isn't very imaginative, either. It's not going to explode any creative boundaries.

What's the deal with so many people finding Jonathan Groff "hot" and unrealistic, not able to get a date? He looks like what used to be called an "everyman" -- a typical ordinary enough guy who looks a bit like a mama's boy in his case. He's not un-hot, he's just your average late-20s joe.

Posted by: will | Jan 20, 2014 2:33:00 PM

11. Um, there was no blowjob in the park. He didn't have sex. It turned out the whole thing was a joke with his friends. And they even asked on the show the same thing you do... if that's still a thing?

The whole point of the opening scene was to contrast how gay men used to go "looking for sex" with the many options we have now of meeting people from online dating to simply meeting someone on the bus. The opening scene was a bait and switch.

Did you actually watch the show?

Posted by: crispy | Jan 20, 2014 2:51:42 PM

12. As long as this show doesn't depict gays as anything like the people who comment on this blog I'll enjoy it.

Posted by: KM | Jan 20, 2014 3:03:59 PM

13. You can obviously tell who didn't watch the whole episode all the way through.

Posted by: Derrick | Jan 20, 2014 3:30:36 PM

14. @KM ... Best comment in this thread! ;p

As for the threesome scene, I got the sense that it was wasn't intended to be particularly erotic. Instead, I felt a bit of foreshadowing that this would change the dynamics of Agustin and Frank's relationship - and not necessarily for the better.

Posted by: RJ | Jan 20, 2014 3:34:45 PM

15. LOL @ "As long as this show doesn't depict gays as anything like the people who comment on this blog I'll enjoy it."

LOL I really don't know what this discussion is about, but that line by KM is hiliours.

LOL ...and it includes ME.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 20, 2014 3:37:44 PM

16. LOL @ "As long as this show doesn't depict gays as anything like the people who comment on this blog I'll enjoy it."

LOL I really don't know what this discussion is about, but that line by KM is hilarious.

LOL ...and that line it includes ME.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 20, 2014 3:38:00 PM

17. Actually, some people do still have sex in public parks -- there has been a recent police crackdown in a large park near me -- but I'm not sure that it's really "a thing" the way it used to be.

Posted by: Neil | Jan 20, 2014 3:46:26 PM

18. I was really looking forward to this series as HBO usually does a great job, but the first episode seemed very awkward. While there were elements that would be recognizable to most of us, I think like so many other shows & series before, it highlights the stereotypes and was not an accurate representation of the world the majority of us live in. I groaned a bit when the show opened with the park encounter, but felt once they got that out of the way, it would move along better... which it did not. Even QAF, with it's stereotype driven script started out slow but eventually gave us some storylines worth watching, so I'll keep watching.

Posted by: azm | Jan 21, 2014 9:23:38 AM