News: Armistead Maupin, Jerry Smith, Lou Pearlman, 'YMCA'

RoadStudy: Gay-Straight Alliances work in reducing suicide, discrimination.

RoadDon't miss the NFL segment on gay football player Jerry Smith featuring Towleroad's David Mixner from last night's 'A Football Life'.

PearlmanRoadBoyband Ponzi schemer Lou Pearlman gives interview from prison. Lance Bass: "He'd always grab our arms and feel our muscles and go: 'Hey boys, you workin' out? Yeahhhh!'"

RoadVIDEO: Arnold Schwarzenegger goes undercover at Gold's Gym.

RoadDutch band threatens to play Village People's "YMCA" at Sochi Games.

RoadGay juror decision bodes well for marriage cases: “The ruling will make it even more difficult for Nevada’s marriage law to withstand the current challenge to it because heightened scrutiny means that the government will have to identify an ‘important’ state interest if it wants to continue to exclude gay and lesbian couples from marriage,” [Suzanne Goldberg, a lesbian and co-director of Columbia University’s Center for Gender & Sexuality Law] said.

RoadA Twin Peaks reboot? David Lynch says no.

RoadVIDEO: The men of Full House reunite for a silly yogurt commercial.

HerbertRoadUtah Governor flooded with letters on gay marriage: "From the day the marriage ban was struck down through Jan. 15, Herbert received about 1,800 phone calls, letters and emails from those generally supporting of same-sex marriage, according to the governor's office."

RoadMichigan man kicked out of gym for wearing 'Speedo'. "He says, 'We can all see it.' And I said, 'Well then stop staring. No one's making you look at it."

RoadJames Lankford, candidate for Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn's seat, believes that sexual orientation is a choice and therefore employment discrimination against gay Americans should be legal.

RoadGay New Zealand worker awarded $13K after being called a "f--king faggot" by his employer.

RoadNicholas Hoult is a 'Young One' at Sundance.

RoadAlex O'Loughlin giving us shirtless bod on the Hawaii Five-O set.

MaupinRoadArmistead Maupin speaks with Lambda Literary about The Days of Anna Madrigal, the last book in the Tales of the City series. "The only way to wrap-up a story that involves a dozen or more people would be to drop a bomb on them. There’s a moment at the end of the book when Anna turns to Brian and says, 'There’ll be no tidying up.' That’s me talking to myself. That’s me talking to the reader. And that’s me commenting on life in general."

RoadJohn Lithgow and Alfred Molina talk about playing a gay couple who marry after 39 years in the new Ira Sachs film Love is Strange.

CRoadhilean transgender rights bill advances: "Lawmakers in the South American nation by a 29-0 vote margin approved the measure that would also allow trans Chileans to legally change their name and sex without hormonal treatments and psychiatric or psychological evaluations. Three lawmakers abstained. "

Comments

1. Excellent show on Jerry Smith last night. A must-see for all gay sports fans and also a must-see for anyone under 40, because it will give you a better sense of how much more difficult life was for those of us who are older than you....and perhaps help you to appreciate how difficult it was for us to change things so that you would not have to experience the same horrors we did.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 22, 2014 3:45:26 PM

2. I should add, though, that the one thing I did not like about the show was Mixner referring to gay men as "LGBT"s and I cannot imagine that Jerry Smith would have appreciated it, either.

I am not an "LGBT", thank you....and neither was he.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 22, 2014 3:54:05 PM

3. Love me some Armistead! How his novels have changed my life, my whole family's read them. Michael Tolliver forever. What a wonderful contribution to American literature he has made!

and of course GSA's work! a (straight) friend of mine is the staff advisor of his school's GSA and relayed this anecdote: when the GSA first started, with its very first meeting, there was only one openly-gay kid there....but the GSA had 40 members. Yup. 40 straight students and one openly gay one. Rather wonderful, eh? And with that, a number of other students came out during the school year. You create a safe space, and people grow within it. Beautiful.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 22, 2014 3:55:44 PM

4. A thin, white fabric like that will become transparent when wet. Clearly. What's the big deal (no pun intended here...clearly) They say that not everyone wants to see a VPL but the clinging to every crack and nipple bump female swim attire is allowed to stay. That's a double standard.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 22, 2014 3:57:12 PM

5. I should also add that I'm not actually a real man, either. I'm a closeted troll who has never done a single thing of worth in my entire life.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 22, 2014 3:59:33 PM

6. no sympathy for the guy without commonsense on wearing speedo underware as outer-ware to the gym

the place was a gym not a bath house

Posted by: Moz's | Jan 22, 2014 4:16:59 PM

7. I'd have more sympathy for Speedo Boi if he were hotter.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 22, 2014 4:29:14 PM

8. Re the guy in the swimsuit who was asked to leave, I wonder if women are also told to leave. I doubt it. Women wear tight bikinis all the time and tight clothing in bars and nightclubs. Why aren't they told to leave?

Liberals enjoy giving privileges to women, in the process discriminating against men, including gay and bisexual men. It's time we took those privileges away from women. Time for true equality.

Posted by: jim | Jan 22, 2014 4:54:17 PM

9. I don't think Speedo Boi suffered from a double standard. I could be wrong, but that looks like rather flimsy material for pool-wear, i.e., it would become totally wet-T-shirty if he actually USED the pool. Women's swimwear does not reveal like that; and neither does proper men's swimwear - which can show an amazing bulge, but not become so clingy as to leave zero to the imagination when wet. So it's not a question of big bulge vs. big boobs or anything like that. Sheesh.

Posted by: Zlick | Jan 22, 2014 5:05:55 PM

10. 1) WTF is a "two-layer house policy" anyway?

2) Watching this guy's interview, his affect is a little off. He seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and maybe a little bit of an exhibitionist streak. If he is going to a family gym, and wearing a thin, transparent-when-wet swimsuit, that clearly shows his genitalia, then maybe he needs to re-think his membership, and join an adult-only gym (perhaps gay-oriented, gay-friendly, or gay-owned) where the standards for that kind of exposure might be less conservative. With kids around, he should be a little more considerate. Again, his attitude seems a little hyper-defensive, maybe a little bit of a troublemaker; his logic seems somewhat flawed; and he gives off a certain exhibitionist vibe.

And for anyone who thinks this might be an anti-gay policy, the guy appears to be obnoxiously heterosexual.

Posted by: Camela Toewinski | Jan 22, 2014 5:09:45 PM

11. The Jerry Smith segment was very interesting - there really is a movie in that story.

Posted by: jarago | Jan 22, 2014 5:10:35 PM

12. Zlick,

But is has never been established that you could actually see Brad’s penis through his wet swimwear. Look men have lumps, just like women do. Do American men need to be forced to wear “curtains of shame” so as to hide the fact that they have lumps? Sheesh…..

In America, we’ve seen a growth in double standards which favor women. Women can wear tiny pieces of clothing in nightclubs. Women can show their cleavage in cocktail bars. Women can wear dresses or trousers – ie they can cross-dress. Women can show more affection to each other than men can in public. What the f is going on here?

Can you see how feminism – and liberalism in general – has led to a growth in double standards, which women exploit to benefit themselves?

Posted by: jim | Jan 22, 2014 5:15:44 PM

13. By the way folks, do you like that I'm now using the name "Jim"? I'm trying to find new screen names from which to vent my tired old nonsense.

Posted by: Jim | Jan 22, 2014 5:17:38 PM

14. Camel Toe

It was implied by "visible goods" and "we can see it" but regardless of the underlying issue, Cieslowski acknowledged the house "two layer" rule which would mean attire with a lining.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 22, 2014 5:30:27 PM

15. @"Jim" .."Women can show more affection to each other than men can in public."

Huh? This sounds like YOUR problem, buddy. I have no problem greeting or seeing off male acquaintances with a kiss.

In fact, my 80-year old (heterosexual)father picked me up at the airport today in Texas, and after not having seen one another for a full year, we greeted each other with a hug and a kiss. Right there. In public.

Grow up and grow a pair, Jimmy. --xo.

Posted by: X and O | Jan 22, 2014 5:31:21 PM

16. X and O,

That's great. I'm glad. Your father seems like a wonderful man.

My point is simply that, in an overall sense, women exploit double standards in order to receive preferential treatment. Don't deny it - the evidence is out there. Women are allowed to opt into the very kinds of things that men aren't allowed to opt into.

Posted by: jim | Jan 22, 2014 6:52:10 PM

17. I'm furious, for example, than women are allowed to wear sassy spiked heels whenever they please and whenever I put on my favorite pumps or stilettos people look at me strangely. Don't you see how unfair that is? All I want is to wear the sassiest sexiest high heeled shoes, every day.

Posted by: Jim | Jan 22, 2014 6:58:28 PM