Basketball | Music | News | Zeke Thomas

BigGayDeal.com

Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas's Gay Son is DJ for the NBA All-Star Game

Zeke_thomas

Michael Musto speaks to Zeke Thomas, the gay son of NBA Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas in an OUT magazine interview. Zeke is a DJ who has been chosen to play the NBA All-Star Game in February.

Said Zeke to Musto:

I came out in 2008, my sophomore year at college. My parents like to say they always knew I was gay. I came out to them, and they were very accepting. I always knew they would be accepting. Growing up, I had gay uncles, like every kid in America. I never was so scared that my parents were going to shun or disown me—the horror stories you hear. I was just nervous about, “Are my friends gonna accept me?” because I was a jock kid, so to speak, with an athlete father.

Read Musto's full interview here.

Comments

1. Another story about a smart, talented young gay person raised by loving supportive parents and now doing good things with his life.

What is this world coming to?!

Posted by: Smartypants | Jan 5, 2014 12:36:26 PM

2. Such a good looking guy.

Posted by: ny2.0 | Jan 5, 2014 12:51:20 PM

3. Loving gay Uncles. The power of visibility.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Jan 5, 2014 12:58:05 PM

4. Wow, he's very hot.

Posted by: Cory | Jan 5, 2014 1:00:09 PM

5. Now this is amazing. Hoop Dreams, am I right?

Posted by: Joe | Jan 5, 2014 1:20:25 PM

6. Hoop Dreams in streaming on Netflix. I totally must go watch it again in light of this news.

Posted by: Sally Field | Jan 5, 2014 1:22:43 PM

7. What a contrast to the story about the morons from Utah having their temper tantrums.

Posted by: homer | Jan 5, 2014 1:24:00 PM

8. As a gay uncle, this warms my heart to hear. Now as a single gay man... Tha boy is phyne!!!

Posted by: CC | Jan 5, 2014 1:37:47 PM

9. I wish every gay kid in America had a gay uncle growing up!

Posted by: JMC | Jan 5, 2014 1:40:54 PM

10. He's a hot dj like Armand Van Helden, Loco Dice and Carl Craig are not djs.

Posted by: Skrillex | Jan 5, 2014 1:52:34 PM

11. oops I mean hot not not.

Posted by: Skrillex | Jan 5, 2014 1:53:30 PM

12. ohman..that child's a knockout!

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Jan 5, 2014 2:27:04 PM

13. I have read articles about Black America and how difficult it is to come out because of church-centric subculture. Earlier this year I read of Magic Johnson's son Earvin III who is gay and much loved by his parents. Now Zeke and his loving parents. I feel like I'm witnessing a major change in America: prominent Black parents who are supportive and loving. While we still have homophobic comments from comics like Kevin Hart and Tracy Morgan, they're not the only voices we hear anymore.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 5, 2014 2:28:35 PM

14. I misread the headline as "HALL OF FAMER ISIAH THOMAS'S SON DJ IS GAY FOR THE NBA ALL-STAR GAME", which was much more entertaining.

Posted by: fhrblig | Jan 5, 2014 2:45:53 PM

15. Without fail, whenever there is an article like this written someone will come along with a post about "Black America" ______ fill in the blank...as if any group is monolithic. I'm curious as to who are the Prominent Black Parents 'who are NOT supportive and loving" for there to be a major change in America.

The than the recent cases, Gov. Patrick is one of the few prominent AA, and he has been supportive of his daughter since his first term in office.

Oh, btw, there are white comics (singers, actors, politicians) that make homophobic comments but that doesn't fit so well into the narrative.

Posted by: Belthazar | Jan 5, 2014 3:07:45 PM

16. Wow! He is so fine in so many ways. Now I want to check out his music.

Posted by: Retro | Jan 5, 2014 3:14:37 PM

17. Musto: Hi, Zeke. Do you find that the NBA is gay friendly?

Zeke Thomas: I do. When Jason Collins came out, my father said to me, “This isn’t something uncommon.” He played with gay players. He said, “Even in high school, I knew there were gay athletes.” It’s not as big an issue as the media like to make it out: “You’re gonna be shamed in the locker room!”

Isiah Thomas telling his son about gay NBA players ... 'This isn't something uncommon.'

And yet no gay players are out.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Jan 5, 2014 3:45:03 PM

18. This is such good news about Isiah Thomas' son Zeke. It's awe inspiring. Because the Duck Dynasty man and the others have been making me sick to my stomach.

Posted by: Mel Smith | Jan 5, 2014 3:46:49 PM

19. Musto: Hi, Zeke. Do you find that the NBA is gay friendly?

Isiah Thomas talking to his son about gay NBA players ... 'This isn't something uncommon.'

And yet there are no out gay players.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Jan 5, 2014 3:48:26 PM

20. Two dads with gay sons - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1106/memorable.sports.kisses/content.4.html

Posted by: Craig | Jan 5, 2014 3:50:27 PM

21. Isiah Thomas did NOT raise this young man. Isiah cheated on his fiancée, and this young man was born of a very brief relationship. Isaiah never told the fiancée, and went on and married her. He supported Zeke financially, but never acknowledged him, and never had anything to do with him until the kid was almost 20 and came looking for Isiah.

There is some serious revisionism going on here. Isiah Thomas may have gotten his head on straight with resepct to this young man in the last decade, but he was definitely not a father to him when he was growing up. Now what has Chris Broussard said about THAT?

Posted by: The Real Story | Jan 5, 2014 4:52:25 PM

22. Makes me wonder two things:
    How long has the NBA All-Star game had an official DJ?
    When can you spin in Dallas, hot stuff?

Posted by: Roger | Jan 5, 2014 5:00:49 PM

23. @THE REAL STORY - I think you're confusing Zeke Thomas with Marc Dones, described by the media as "Thomas’ 21-year-old out-of-wedlock son." You can read about Dones in this 2007 article from the NY Post here:

I believe Zeke Thomas (aka "Joshua Thomas") is one of two children Isiah Thomas had with his wife, Lynn Kendall. He and Zeke even posed for the NOH8 campaign a few years ago.

Posted by: Retro | Jan 5, 2014 5:27:23 PM

24. It's good to hear stories like this from young african american kids. We usually see religious parents who have problems with their gay kids.

He's really adorable. Glad he had good parents.

Posted by: Jonna the Woodswoman | Jan 5, 2014 5:34:50 PM

25. You're right Retro. I didn't remember that his OTHER gay sons was named Zeke a I was typing that. Thanks for the correction.

So Zeke cranked out two gay sons?

Posted by: The Real Story | Jan 5, 2014 5:40:15 PM