Tom Daley Inspires Top Brazilian Diver Ian Matos to Come Out as Gay

Matos

Tom Daley has been cited as inspiration for top Brazilian diver Ian Matos to come out of the closet in an interview with the newspaper Correia, Outsports reports:

"From a young age, I knew I was gay, but it was here that I got to live my sexuality," said Matos, 24, now living in Rio de Janiero.

He said a friend advised him to stay closeted until after the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio, but Matos said the pressure of hiding boyfriends, avoiding gay parties and not being himself proved too much. He said he hoped that coming out would not impact his ability to be a successful diver and not cost him any potential sponsorship.

Comments

1. Ft. Lee Traffic says

Next out of the closet: a Speedo-clad Chris Christie. He’s an Olympic diver trapped in a pig’s body.

2. mike/ says

@Ft. LEE TRAFFIC – ewww… now trying to get that image out of my head! ewww…

but, good for Ian! “Veritas liberabit vos”

3. David From Canada says

To paraphrase a song from ZZ Top: “He’s got Legs, and he knows how to use ’em.” Gorgeous gams!!

4. says

We would like to congratulate Mr. Matos for his courage and leadership in the world of sport. We know how hard the road to freedom can be, and coming out is never easy. With a career and a spot on the Olympic team in the balance, Mr. Matos has shown just how important coming out can be to everyone.

5. Barbara says

Live life free! Don’t let hate control the love you have to give! Much respect for your honesty!

6. Enchantra says

Perhaps it would save time if the one or two straight divers and ice skaters would fess up. Oh, that’s right, we won’t believe them.

7. dumbnhung says

I’d sponsor that. And by ‘sponsor’ I mean have rough monkey sex until one, or both, of our dicks falls off.

8. ratbastard says

@Jamal,

I’m sure after careful consideration, Mr. Greenwald realized his $ went further in Brazil ; )

9. Randy says

Obviously there’s great skill and athleticism involved, but I mainly enjoy watching Olympics diving just for the eye candy. It’s nice to know I can now also enjoy it as one sport where several athletes have been able to come out, and that’s an environment I want to support.