News | Scotland | TED Talks | Transgender | Video

Trans Scientist Critically Injured in Deer Attack

KatestoneA freak animal encounter has left Kate Stone, a Cambridge research engineer and owner of U.K. tech company Novalia, in critical condition. Stone was attacked by a deer outside of a home in a small Scotland town, and sustained major damage to both her spinal column and throat. Doctors reported that Stone was in "serious and stable condition" as of January 1st.

The Advocate reports:

Gary Burton, owner of the Mo-Dhachaidh Guest House where Stone was staying, told the Press and Journal: "I understand Kate is critical in the hospital's intensive care unit.She was telling me she enjoyed the outdoors in the hills and camping on her own in remote places so any form of paralysis to such an active person will be a disaster. The incident is absolutely shocking and so unexpected. There are plenty of deer around here but you never hear of a stag attacking anyone. The force of the attack must have been ferocious. I went to the scene and found Kate's mobile phone smashed into tiny bits."

An official from Scotland's version of Fish and Game told the Telegraph that this type of deer attack is "highly unusual – a chance in a million.”

The buck was reportedly found in the guest house's garden, and it may have felt cornered by Stone and her group of friends. Still, the nature of the incident is disturbing and odd, to say the least. Our thoughts are with Stone as she recovers.

Be sure and check out a TED Talk video in which Stone discusses her research, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Deer attacks aren't that "odd", they are wild animals after all, and any wild animal can attack a human. Just look on YouTube, happens all the time.

Posted by: Eric | Jan 3, 2014 4:51:05 PM

2. Hahahahaha!

A big stag kicks the butt of a "gender-non-conformist", demonstrating that you cannot fool nature, no matter how hard you try......

Absolutely priceless.

I wish somebody had gotten it all on tape.

Posted by: Rick | Jan 3, 2014 5:03:13 PM

3. I was pretty shocked actually that the Telegraph felt that her past gender was vital to the story. It isn't as far as I can see.

Rick, you need to be ashamed of yourself period.

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Jan 3, 2014 5:08:35 PM

4. Oh Rick, if only you could live your life as bravely...

Posted by: Pierre | Jan 3, 2014 5:56:07 PM

5. She is based in my local area (boring dull region in the UK) and it was reported on the local news as a pretty big deal.... But not once did they mention her trans status, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
    Did they not highlight it as it's not relevant to the story which I guess it's not or is it too 'shocking' for the Daily Mail reading, middle class old farts that live around here to stomach during the evening news?

Posted by: Rob | Jan 3, 2014 7:00:16 PM

6. first I have no interest in trans. Second the only reason this seems to be "news" is that the person involved was trans. Really seems like the editors are going out of their way to fill the site with irrelevant trans and hermaphrodite content.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Jan 3, 2014 7:20:26 PM

7. @DERRICK FROM PHILLY
    Remember this post? Whatever happened to the Derrick who talked about being accepting and tolerant?

"In highschool, there was a group of young gays who wouldn't come near me with a ten foot pole. I was "too obvious" for their taste. They realized they themselves were gay, but they hadn't come out yet. I thought they were just as effeminate as I was--they just didn't have the skill to put on make-up (well, that's what I thought). Anyway, I'd like to say that as the years went on--I let bygones be bygones. I'd like to say that I forgave them for their anti-fem attitudes--that they were too young and vulnerable to be friends with a fem. Sorry, I still hate them bitches to this day--32 years later.

Being gay ought to make you more tolerant and accepting of difference. If it doesn't, then you are a hypocritical coward. You're just a homosexual--in it for the sex part. You aint gay."

Posted by: alliefoo | Jan 3, 2014 10:32:13 PM

8. @DERRICK FROM PHILLY

Posted by: alliefoo | Jan 3, 2014 10:32:13 PM

9. @ALLIEFOO: IF you read the posts on Towleroad with any regularity you MUST know that DERRICK FROM PHILLY didn't post that offensive comment. There are several A##holes who regularly post offensive comments in other people's names. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason TOWLEROAD does nothing to stop it and in the process undermines the credibility of an otherwise good site.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 3, 2014 11:03:05 PM

10. Some of you need to accept real life trans people, not the few loud mouth activists who pretend to speak for them, as our brothers and sisters in the LGBT Community. Our centers, all over this nation, are LGBT Centers. Put aside your narrow views about who is part of our community. Bigotry and intolerance are especially ugly when they come from the mouths of those who have suffered at the hands of bigots and the intolerant.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 3, 2014 11:31:18 PM

11. @ANDREW Seems he did post that comment after all since he just acknowledged that it's his.

@DERRICK In a number of your posts you act is if trans or even trans activist equates to anti-gay. I'm sorry but that's just not true. Are there maybe some trans people who display misplaced hatred toward gays? Yeah sure, I know gays who do they same to trans people or lesbians who display hatred against gays for that matter. That does not mean that trans people as a population are anti-gay. Hell, a substantial portion of them ARE gay and lesbian.

Point is that there are nutty individuals on all sides but we should never allow our beliefs to be defined by our fringe elements. I would also point out that, at least from my understanding of your post (and I apologize if I'm misreading it), the shunning you experienced had to do with how you represented yourself and their inherently sexist view of men having to be masculine to be men. I don't think that view you faced is all together that different from what many trans people face on a day to day basis.

Posted by: alliefoo | Jan 3, 2014 11:54:38 PM

12. @ALLIEFOO: It looks like you are right. I am stunned that DERRICK OF PHILLY, after reading that Kate Stone is "in serious and stable condition" after being attacked by a deer would characterize it as "an encounter between a freak and an animal". To say such a hateful thing about someone he doesn't know personally but is judging based on her sexual identity is inexcusable. Yep, bigotry and hate are even uglier when they come from the mouths of people who have themselves suffered at the hands of bigotry and hate. I won't make the mistake again of assuming that hateful things posted in his name aren't in fact his posts.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 4, 2014 12:42:18 AM

13. Wow. The comments prove we Gay men can be just as hateful as the Phelps clan when we encounter Difference.

Posted by: Wirrrn | Jan 4, 2014 1:13:36 AM

14. Sock puppets talking back and forth. Cute.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Jan 4, 2014 1:13:39 AM

15. TR: January 4, 2014

Posted by: shark jumped | Jan 4, 2014 1:48:15 AM

16. DERRICK FROM PHILLY: As you can see from my first post, I didn't believe that you had made that hateful comment about Kate Stone. I mistakenly rush to your defense. You can spin it anyway you want, you are a prejudiced person. No decent person after reading that Kate Stone, a trans woman you don't know, was seriously injured by a deer attack could characterize her pain as "an encounter between a freak and an animal". You correctly and frequently post about the evils of prejudice and judging people based on their group identity. Just like all African American people are not alike and not all responsible for the sins of some, no matter how many, neither are all transgendered people alike and should not be held accountable for the sins of some, no matter how many. You clearly hated on this woman based on her transgendered identity alone. Shame on you for that. I will take off my rose colored glasses so that if I see hateful things posted in your name, I won't foolishly jump to your defense because the hateful things may indeed have been posted by you. I think at the very least you should step out of your pulpit and stop preaching about the evils of prejudice. You have shown yourself to be someone who prejudges individuals based on their group identity.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 4, 2014 7:03:03 AM

17. Tarring the whole group based on your perceived view of a few is lazy thinking and you're using it as an excuse to be nasty. When you called her a freak it wasn't because she had expressed anti-gay views or tried to hurt gay people it was purely because she's trans. You can try and hide it behind "well, these other people said such and such" but it's just an excuse to be just like the people who bullied you. And I'm sure you can find some group (though not any prominent ones) or some blogger who has expressed antigay views. There's a lot of bitterness between the two communities but you're kidding yourself if you think antigay views are representative of a majority or even a significantly large portion of trans people. There may be some trans people who are bitter at gay and lesbian groups but the huge majority strongly support the movement. I don't think all lesbians want to go off and create cloistered female only communities just because a couple oddballs go off and do it.

"Trans activists today are basically saying that those nasty self-hating bullies were right, that gay men are in some way not as fully men as straight men, and that because the gays are not really truly men, they are better associated with transgenders, which straight men are not."
    See, I think this is a big part of where your own prejudice comes from. What Trans people do isn't a statement on you. They aren't saying that gay men are women or should live as women. In short, it's not all about you. They do what they do because it's right for THEM. And you're right, just because you were effeminate doesn't make you transgender or anything but if you don't think that the hatred you experienced as a kid comes from the EXACT same place as the hatred that trans people experience then you're kidding yourself. When they shunned you it had nothing to do with being gay and everything to do with someone they think should be expressing their gender or sex a certain way. Trans people face a lot of discrimination specific to the whole trans thing but most of it is that they're perceived as women or men and the fact that they present as the opposite gender in any form is unacceptable.

Frankly, I don't see any difference between you and your high school bullies.

Posted by: alliefoo | Jan 4, 2014 7:36:59 AM

18. @Derrick Also, answer me this, if the story had been about a effeminate gay man and some masculine gay guy had made the comment you just made, what would your reaction have been?

Posted by: alliefoo | Jan 4, 2014 7:42:16 AM

19. I find it ironic and very unsophisticated to see gay men berating a trans individual in the comments section of an article reporting that she'd been attacked. like it or not, in the eyes of biggots, your homosexuality is just as unnatural as you find their gender identity. further, your desires are seen as a symptom of gender confusion, as men you should be with women. trans people are not co-opting gay identity. they were integral to defending gay rights after all. take your small-minded views out of the dialogue please.

Posted by: tristan | Jan 4, 2014 11:48:06 AM

20. I hope this site adopts the facebook login like HuffPost, these comments are disheartening and troubling in their Anon format.

Posted by: ty | Jan 4, 2014 2:47:50 PM

21. Derrick,I seriously pity you. You're so wrapped up in your hatred and loathing that it blinds you and makes you bitter. I don't know what has happened to you to make you so full of spite but I hope you find peace some day. :/

You have clearly changed from the guy who talked about gay and trans people being interconnected and not for the better.

Posted by: alliefoo | Jan 4, 2014 7:31:54 PM

22. Derrick I spent three years volunteering with a lgbt clinic in DC. I ran a Gay Straight Alliance in highschool and have continued volunteering with GLESN since then because I want lgbt kids to grow up in a world where they don't have people trying to shame them. Occasionally I even do door to door work for HRC. You keep assuming I'm trans and that I hate lgbt people but you really don't know the first thing about me.

Posted by: alliefoo | Jan 5, 2014 12:44:19 AM

23. Sorry, but I don't believe for a second this is the real Derrick from Philly. He has always come to the defense of trans people in the past, he structures his sentences differently and his humor is missing. Everything about these posts is off. There's a particularly vile troll at work here, don't feed hir.

Posted by: Beau du Jour | Jan 5, 2014 3:24:39 AM

24. All the negative posts by "DERRICK FROM PHILLY" have been deleted. Did Towleroad delete them because DERRICK FROM PHILLY did not actually post them? Hopefully that is correct and that my first post was correct that they were posted by some a##hole using his name. This is not a solution to the overall problem. Towleroad must find a way to guarantee that people cannot post in others names.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 6, 2014 2:28:58 AM

25. Kate is a lovely young lady who I was happy to meet in Cambridge a few years ago.Cultured,exciting,gentle,intelligent,devoted parent She does not deserve to have disgusting comments about her sexual identity to be posted and they should be removed by we administrators as they incite to hatred That newspaper journalists brought sexuality into an accident between Kate and a feral animal is shocking and there is an agency they can be reported to for doing so..press complaints commission

Posted by: marie forte | Jan 7, 2014 2:15:12 AM