BigGayDeal.com

Vampire Weekend Covers Andrea Bocelli's 'Con Te Partirò' — LISTEN

Vampireweekend

February 4 will see the release of Sweetheart 2014, the fifth in a series of compilations created for and available at Starbucks, and one of the tracks on the album is a sweet Vampire Weekend cover of Andrea Bocelli's classic "Con Te Partirò" (which some may also remember beautifully covered by Donna Summer in 1999).

Listen to the breezy cover, AFTER THE JUMP...

Jim James, Fiona Apple, Phosphorescent, Brandi Carlile, Beck, The Head and the Heart, Ben Harper, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Valerie June, Blake Mills, Bahamas and Thao & The Get Down Stay Down also appear on the compilation.

Comments

1. Garbage... seriously.

Posted by: Jimmy | Jan 9, 2014 12:43:14 PM

2. SMDH.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jan 9, 2014 12:52:13 PM

3. Devoid of feeling.

Posted by: elwoodl | Jan 9, 2014 12:54:53 PM

4. Adds nothing worthwhile.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 9, 2014 1:11:26 PM

5. The most useless version of the song ever committed to bits.

But their Italian isn't half bad, though...

Posted by: LemmyC | Jan 9, 2014 1:19:41 PM

6. Sorry, this song 'belongs' to Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jan 9, 2014 2:04:21 PM

7. Yeah, once you've heard Sarah and Andrea do it...pffffft

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 9, 2014 2:35:29 PM

8. Lovely voices but the arrangement is hideous beyond belief!

Posted by: Mundus | Jan 9, 2014 2:50:23 PM

9. let's all just pretend that never happened.

Posted by: verbocityeric | Jan 9, 2014 3:02:03 PM

10. Sì, ma perché?

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jan 9, 2014 3:17:09 PM

11. The singing is actually not that bad.

But the rhythm track...oh, dear.

Posted by: distinguetraces | Jan 9, 2014 3:41:54 PM

12. Advertising Starbucks as a news piece. Ouch.

Posted by: Brion | Jan 9, 2014 3:57:09 PM

13. I don't know this group, but this is not how I imagine a vampire singing "popera" would sound. It lacks gravitas. It lacks grandeur. It lacks romance. It lacks authority.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 9, 2014 4:52:29 PM

14. No.

and -1 for the Starbucks advertising.

Posted by: Jason | Jan 9, 2014 5:09:52 PM

15. The arrangement ruined the beautiful melody which is shame because the beginning sounded promising.

Posted by: jarago | Jan 9, 2014 5:20:34 PM

16. blah blah blah... "lack gravitas"... "devoid of feeling"... "garbage"... Who taught you people your manners and made you all music critics? My god. In a world that is so negative, so impersonal, so increasingly hostile in a vacuous (and anonymous) way, is it really so hard to say something nice instead of resorting to the negative?

Do we all have to put on a Quintin Crisp fedora, clutch a cigarette holder smoldering between greasy fingers and a cravat tied to tight around our necks and lash out with the most vitriolic pablum that comes to mind at every opportunity? Or just once, can someone "light a candle" instead of curse the darkness?

I'm sorry, I'm just having "one of those days". But part of 2014, for me, is about finding the beauty amongst the horror and tedium of a world that has become so acidic, so tannic to the palate, so bitter as to cause otherwise nice and decent people to lash out at the drop of a hat.

I thought the boys sang real pretty and I enjoyed it very much.

*candle lit*

Now go ahead; flame me and prove my point.

Posted by: bobinboulder | Jan 9, 2014 6:51:50 PM

17. I am a big Vampire Weekend fan. I like the song BECAUSE it sounds like Vampire Weekend. If you don't like it or don't like VW that's fine. I am not going to sweat it. I don't like plenty of music that other people do like. I will say though that VW are some of the most original and intelligent musicians out there today.

Posted by: Charlie | Jan 9, 2014 9:54:59 PM

18. And FYI, Rostam, the guy second from the left is out and proud.

Posted by: Charlie | Jan 9, 2014 10:04:39 PM

19. POSTED BY: BOBINBOULDER | JAN 9, 2014 6:51:50 PM

You respond to people who don't like the song by.....attacking them for their reaction. Classic. Even more laughable is YOU labelling the comments "vitriolic".

I like VW, but that doesn't do it for me. It sounds like muzak with an overly-loud drum sample pattern layered on top of it.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jan 9, 2014 10:10:20 PM

20. Sorry, but Sarah Brightman owns this song. She owns it.

Posted by: Peter | Jan 10, 2014 12:47:49 AM

21. I can see that it might pull some younger listeners or those who have not heard the original. The boys have done a good job. This version is not for me though,.

Posted by: barrybear1980 | Jan 10, 2014 3:03:18 AM

22. I actually really like this. I think it's cheeky and funny, and if you know their music, it's very fitting. I doubt they were trying to best Bocelli, or anyone else.

Posted by: David | Jan 10, 2014 10:39:55 AM

23. Sadly, too many commenters have either forgotten or never learned that "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Posted by: Sean Westmann | Jan 11, 2014 1:19:15 AM