Billie Jean King to Attend Sochi Closing Ceremonies

Bj_kingTennis legend Billie Jean King, who was unable to attend the Sochi Opening Ceremonies with the U.S. delegation because of her ailing mother, who died this week at 91, will join Bonnie Blair and Eric Heiden as part of the Closing Ceremonies U.S. delegation, the AP reports:

King called it a “privilege” to attend.

“I will use this trip to honor the memory of my mother and to further my mission of equality,” King said in a statement to The Associated Press. “I am thankful to President Obama for including me and I look forward to supporting the men and women of Team USA in Sochi.”

Comments

1. Ken says

Who was the TR ass wipe who said her mother’s illness was oretextual? I mistly read another blog because it has news sooner, generally, and far fewer cretins. But I like to check out this blog, too.

Anyway, let’s hear it for Ms. King!

2. some yank in Rio says

I too was wondering if there would be any apologies from those who slammed her for changing her plans.

It’s an honor to have Ms King representing the USA. Brava!

3. BETTY says

To all of you “adults” who were quick to criticize from behind your keyboards you owe her an apology. It was said that her deicision not to go was based on endorsements and calling her “chicken gitz” (ANKERICH). Or that she only wanted to be in the spotlight in the lead up and then, pull out at the last minute (MIKE RYAN). That she put money in front of patriotism (ANON). “Not buying it” (FREAK)

Well, her mother died this week at 91. How do you perfect pillars of society feel now for making her out to be an opportunistic villan when, in fact, she chose to be with her family. What have you pathetic losers done for the gay community or the world in general besides cast judgement on others?? What the hell have you done? Now that she is going attend the closing ceremonies and still show her strength and support for the cause you will still probably find a way to fault her for that too. Just sad.

MIKE RYAN said: “The convenience of her mother’s illness is just that – a convenience and tossed out at the last moment, the day before she leaves for Sochi. Give us a break, we are not stupid people.”—Actually you guys ARE pretty stupid and a pathetic excuse for a human beings.

4. Now says

I admire and respect her but why do gat celebs fear attacking State homophobia?????????????????????????????????

5. Now says

6. andrew says

Will any of the A##holes who accused her of using her mother’s poor health as an excuse for not attending the opening ceremonies be man enough to post their sincere apologies? Fat chance. Rash judging scum don’t know the meaning of sincere apology.

7. Mike Ryan says

She obviously does’t want to miss the media limelight. She could have retained some respect had she simply bowed out. I find her appearance at the closing ceremonies to be too little too late. Get over it people – she used us to get her name back in lights.

8. Mike Ryan says

BTW, I notice every one of you whining your heads off are doing so anonymously – BETTY, RIGHTON, NOW, SOME YANK, MUSCLEOUTLAW- obviously all the same individual trying to boost his own case. If you’re real you wouldn’t be ashamed of who or what you are.

9. says

I agree Mike – none have any credibility if they can’t post as their real selves. We can all make up phony names to criticize others but it means nothing without credibility. Who is BETTY? Who is NOW? Answer: nobody

10. Mike Ryan says

I’ll bet everyone one of the posts from KEN, MUSCLEOUTLAW, SOMEYANK, BETTY, BETTY, BETTY, RIGHTON, NOW, NOW, NOW, BLAKE, ANDREW, and MERV are all coming from the same IP address. Ban that IP address and you won’t hear from them again. PHONY, FAKE and FRAUDULENT.

11. BETTY says

Excuse me, you get called out for judging and making accusations that were INCORRECT and now you have the nerve to deflect on the people who called you out? You should be apologizing to Ms. King.

Yes Mike, you are so not annonymous with that name. Was John Smith taken? You are the one who should be banned. You are a prime example of why this site is becoming a joke.

Not one of you people who made those shots at her has apologized. You just threw more mud at others. What character you have shown!

12. BETTY says

Mike is probably a fake poster just trying to start crap. I will be asking Towleroad to ban his ISP.

13. WHAT????? says

@Cary: you criticized her and made accusations as well. Yet, you haven’t admitted you were wrong, just attacking other people’s ‘credibility’. Hypocrisy? The guys who were wrong are pulling out the annominity red herring. What is wrong with this picture?

14. andrew says

@Mike Ryan: I have been posting under my name and no other for a couple of years. It is only recently that I have begun to notice your usually, over the top, hysterical rants. Too bad, in this case, where you rash judged the motives of a gay national treasure like Billie Jean King, you are not man enough to admit your mistake and offer a sincere apology. Instead of making false accusations about other posters, man up and apologize.

15. andrew says

The line up of those who said Billie Jean King was using her mothers failing health as an excuse for not going to Sochi and accusing her of base motives is as follows: MIKE RYAN, ANON, ANKERICH, FREAK and CARY Chauvet. Shame on them for their false accusations and for their failure to apologize.

16. Now says

@Mike…Go f*ck your bf’s COCK wh0 SUCKS and supports CONTINUED CULTURAL LEGACY OF GAY MEN AND WOMEN STAYING IN THE CLOSET !!

STAYING IN THE CLOSET DEMANDS WE LIE !!!
    lies lead to conflict!!!!
    Conflict is not life !!!!!

DO NOT LIE FOR THE CLOSET! C0ME OUT LIBERATION 2014!!!!!!

LIBERATION 2014:

THEY WANT US TO LIE ..

LIES ARE UNLIFE!!!!!!

TELL EVERYONE YOU ARE GAY !
    LOVE GAY!
    BE GAY!
    LET’S GET IT GOING *2015

17. Now says

STAYING IN THE CLOSET DEMANDS WE LIE !!!
    lies lead to conflict!!!!
    Conflict is not life !!!!!

DO NOT LIE FOR THE CLOSET! C0ME OUT LIBERATION 2014!!!!!!

LIBERATION 2014:

THEY WANT US TO LIE ..

LIES ARE UNLIFE!!!!!!

TELL EVERYONE YOU ARE GAY !
    LOVE GAY!
    BE GAY!
    LET’S GET IT GOING *2015

18. JackFknTwist says

I fail to see the merit in all this lashing out at each other.
    This is what caused the whole melee in the first place……lashing out at BJK, without any grounds.

Comments on a blog should be less “I told you so” and more opinion, or …..eh, commentary.

19. Now says

@hEY Jack

Forget blog drama, just support and help gay men and women come out, let US KNOW WE’RE ALL WE EVER NEEDED.

love ya !

20. Now says

@hEY Jack

love ya !

21. thats says

If you saw any pre-games interviews, Billie Jean was desperate and thrilled to be going to Sochi. I am glad she has the chance. BJK is a champion, and a class act.

22. Mike Ryan says

And yet she didn’t go, she didn’t follow thru and support the gay community and now she is jumping on the tail of the media bandwagon because she just can’t pass up that spotlight. She would have had far more credibility to the gay community had she faded away. Obama didn’t replace her with an equivalent and what we had hoped for -an outspoken virulent openly gay advocate denouncing Russian oppression on Russian turf- didn’t happen. There is hope that she will redeem herself at the closing ceremonies, it would be a fine opportunity to bask in the world’ spotlight, but my money is on silence. Silence because she believes her own presence is enough to sway the world.

To the anonymous haters, bullies and whiners give yourself some credibility and use your own name. Without it you’re just a maskled thug.

23. BETTY says

MIKE RYAN: please post a link or proof you are really a Mike Ryan. Facebook, Instagram a blog, anything. Until then, you are nothing but a right wing troll, paid to write comments to fan flames in the gay community. The woman’s mother was dying= you criticized her incorrectly. Now she is going= you still criticize her. You make absolutely no sense and are playing both sides. Quit saying people are bullies and thugs just for pointing out you were WRONG. Admit it and say you were sorry, otherwise you have no credibility (not that you had any before) and all future comments will be voided.

@JACK= it is more than appropriate to call these haters out. They made some pretty libellous attacks on her character and motives. The least they can do is man up and admit they were incorrect. Instead, they come on here and play the victim card because they are ‘hurt’ they got called out for being bullies themselves. Proving they don’t have an ounce of the strength and character BJK has.

24. some yank in Rio says

I try not to feed the trolls but I’ve got to say there are some real winners here. I’m me, not anyone else. I’m originally from NY and now live in Brasil – hence the screen name. Often those guilty of something are fastest to accuse others of it. What’s your ip address Mike Ryan?

25. andrew says

When I first started noticing the over the top extremists and irrational rants posted by “MIKE RYAN”, it bothered me to think that a member of our LGBT Community thought and talked like that. I have come to realize that he is just a plant attempting to undermine this site. In this recent post he says of BJK: “She would have had far more credibility TO THE GAY COMMUNITY had she faded away.” Does that sound like he is a member of the gay community? He further stated that “We had hoped for an outspoken virulently openly gay advocate denouncing Russian oppression on Russian turf” No sane person in the LGBT Community expected that. Only a person who wants to undermine the credibility of this site and the LGBT Community in general posts irrational comments like that. “MIKE RYAN” has exposed himself for the fraud that he is!!!