Arizona | Jan Brewer | News

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer Grilled Over Anti-Gay Bill, But Won't Show Her Hand: VIDEO

Bash_brewer

Dana Bash interviewed Arizona Governor Jan Brewer in Washington DC today about what she planned to do with SB 1062, the bill awaiting herat home  that would allow businesses to discriminate against gays based on religious beliefs.

Said Brewer:

"I'm going to go home, and when I receive the bill, I'm going to read it and I'm going to be briefed on it. We have been following it. And I will make my decision in the near future."

Bash also brought up the fact that nearly 100 businesses were now publicly urging her to veto but would not show her hand:

“I have a history of deliberating and having an open dialogue on bills that are controversial, to listen to both sides of those issues, and I welcome the input, and information that they can provide to me. And certainly I am pro-business, and that is what's turning our economy around, so I appreciate their input, as I appreciate the other side."

Bash then tried to get Brewer to say how she feels in her gut about the bill as a person, and as a woman:

"Well, you know, I am a woman and I don't rely a whole lot on my gut because I have to look at what it says, and what the law says, and take that information and do the right thing, but I can assure you, as always, I will do the right thing for the state of Arizona."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'll give her credit. She sure knows how to put on a good poker face.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Feb 24, 2014 10:29:57 PM

2. it's not poker face, it's mummy face

Posted by: litper | Feb 24, 2014 10:47:09 PM

3. If she wants to sit on various corporate boards and assume other "paid" roles when her political career is over, she will veto the bill. And despite the fact she's totally worthless on anything substantive, there are corporate boards that want to have an ex-governor. However, the longer she waits to veto, the less interested corporations will be in her.

By the way, Apple may pull out of its newly proposed plan in Mesa (several hundred jobs), and Google may end its interest in opening an Arizona facility -- if she signs this bill. The woman is stupid, but not stupid enough to let that happen.

Posted by: MiddleoftheRoader | Feb 24, 2014 11:10:20 PM

4. She looks like she could drop dead at any moment. Talk about a candied pig

Posted by: Will | Feb 24, 2014 11:17:32 PM

5. Chrislam is right. It's not so much about the gays as all the other things you would be allowed to discriminated against because if what is found in the Christian bible, Jewish Torah, and Islamic quran.

Women can't make contract decisions, divorced should be shunning, blacks made into slaves. No dry cleaning for unwed mothers. No hotel rooms for mixed race couples. No birthday cakes for money changers.

Posted by: steve talbert | Feb 24, 2014 11:30:10 PM

6. So according to this, she listens to both sides - religious zealots and business. I guess the minorities this bill seeks to oppress have no say in the matter.

Posted by: Rich | Feb 25, 2014 12:24:34 AM

7. Yes, yes, yes, she's done so many "right" things for the State of Arizona. The woman is a nutcase. A true wing-nut of the worst religious kind. Please Governor, sign the bill and make Arizona the laughing stock of America, watch your state plunge into complete and utter financial chaos and show the citizens of your fine ridiculous state how stupid they were for voting you into office. As an openly gay man I am pleading with you to sign it. Why wait until Saturday morning? You've already made up your mind you sh*tcase.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Feb 25, 2014 12:32:34 AM

8. Hey, let's ban politicians who voted for the bill from restaurants. The religious excuse is found
    in Matthew 5:22 - "But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire."

Why risk "hell fire" by blurting out what these politicians actually are when they are in your restaurant?

Aside from that, there's an easy way to see if the governor has decided to vote against it. If the business interests stop lobbying her about it, that means she told them privately how she's going to vote but that she wants to drag out the decision for political reasons. They won't mind that - they understand marketing.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 25, 2014 12:40:03 AM

9. I used to think that Jan Brewer was merely inarticulate. Now I realize that she's just plain stupid.

Posted by: Jim | Feb 25, 2014 12:48:14 AM

10. She just answered that reporter's question by saying, "I will do the right thing for the state of Arizona." In other words, she ain't gonna sign it. It would mean political suicide for her and a business death sentence for her state. She might be a racist, homophobic, prejudiced bigot, but she ain't no dummy.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Feb 25, 2014 12:52:37 AM

11. I think she is clearly showing her hand; she's a homophobe. However, she is clearly aware of the possible fallout from signing the bill.

Posted by: sam | Feb 25, 2014 1:31:37 AM

12. She's gonna sign it.

Posted by: fireblazes | Feb 25, 2014 4:41:49 AM

13. The battle of the bottle blondes is on!

Posted by: mdnc | Feb 25, 2014 7:28:28 AM

14. If she signs that bill, she's going to face a s***storm like she's never seen before. Hope the citizens of Arizona will be out in full force to protest.

Posted by: Jack M | Feb 25, 2014 7:36:02 AM

15. She is simply enjoying the national spotlight. She wants everyone to tune in-- she wants to keep all on the edge of our seats. She is prolonging her 15 minutes of fame. She may sign it-- she just might be so desperate for attention that even negative attention is OK with her!!! Poor Arizona.

Posted by: James M | Feb 25, 2014 8:03:24 AM

16. If she tells us what she will do, all the TV cameras will leave. She is a media ho.

Posted by: Bubba | Feb 25, 2014 10:06:38 AM

17. There is only one "right thing" she can do for the state of Arizona and that is to veto the hate bill. Otherwise Arizona will look as ignorant as Uganda and will lose lots of revenue.

Posted by: Rich | Feb 25, 2014 10:38:51 AM

18. AZ native here totally embarrassed by this women. I can't believe she's our governor. AZ needs a big change and fast. It's insane that all of the reps. and sen. are Republican when that is not an accurate sum of our state. Someone please help!!! Xo's

Posted by: tonyb4956@gmail.com | Feb 25, 2014 5:34:33 PM