Charlotte | Gay Stories | News

Charlotte, NC Man Fired From Job After Altercation With Governor Now Receiving Help From Mayor

Drew Swope, a gay grocery store employee who had a verbal altercation with North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory (right) on Sunday wound up fired. Now, in a remarkable turn of events, he is receiving help from Charlotte's mayor, Pat Cannon, to secure a new job.

PatmccrorySwope reportedly said, "Thanks for nothing" as McCrory passed by him at Reid's Fine Foods, an understandable sentiment given McCrory's already tumultuous term, fraught with anti-abortion measures and slashed education budgets. Swope claimed that McCrory's response may have had something to do with the employee's sexual orientation.

Talking Points Memo reports:

"...he started yelling at me and eyes were bulging out of his head," Swope told TPM in a phone interview on Tuesday.

The openly gay Swope also told TPM that McCrory was hostile to him "for being a fag."

A spokesman for the governor said that McCrory did not raise his voice, and claimed that Swope actually made an obscene gesture — a charge that Swope vehemently denied.

McCrory's office did not respond to TPM's request for comment.

PatrickCannon2009Swope subsequently lost his job, an action which he understood and respected given the behavior he exhibited while at work.

“I wasn’t surprised at all," Swope told TPM. "I mean, I would have fired me. I’ve been in the restaurant business for 25 years. I know the rules.”

Charlotte's mayor, Pat Cannon (right) has not taken the situation lightly, however, and he asked Swope to send him his resume so that he could help secure a position for him in the city's private sector.

“To lose a job is nothing that someone wants to do,” Cannon said. “I felt that I would do what I could to help him along the way, if I could make something happen. I have a few leads for him to help him continue being a contributing citizen of Charlotte.”

Comments

1. This is kind of confusing. It states that he is, "Drew Swope, a gay grocery store employee", that was fired from his job. However he then states, "I wasn’t surprised at all," Swope told TPM. "I mean, I would have fired me. I’ve been in the restaurant business for 25 years. I know the rules.” So does he work at a grocery store or in a restaurant?? It may seem like a minor detail, however if the story is that off about where he works then I am suspect as to the rest of what it states.

Posted by: crazycorgi | Feb 20, 2014 1:30:40 PM

2. @ Crazycorgi - it confused me as well.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Feb 20, 2014 1:40:55 PM

3. It was a high class 'grocery' store, which offers prepared foods. Swope worked in the 'restaurant', or prepared foods area.

Posted by: edmcan | Feb 20, 2014 1:47:36 PM

4. It could be a grocery that also includes a restaurant, I'm not sure either.

Surely Governors have a thicker skin than we see here. They already know they aren't representing 100% of citizens when they are aligned with one party to begin with.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Feb 20, 2014 1:50:59 PM

5. The City of Charlotte better beware. They're likely to experience traffic nightmares. That's how Republican governors rule.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Feb 20, 2014 1:51:54 PM

6. did he have a big sign on that read open homosexual? the governor is a dem

Posted by: tom | Feb 20, 2014 1:56:32 PM

7. the governor is a republican. a really crappy governor, too.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 20, 2014 2:17:31 PM

8. Remember: politicians are kings are the peasants must bow down and never, ever say or do anything that hurts their fragile egos.

Posted by: homer | Feb 20, 2014 2:27:30 PM

9. Reid's is a gourmet market that has operated for decades, well before the advent of the supermarket. It has a deli/takeout section where foods can be purchased that are prepared in the onsite kitchen, which is where Mr. Swope worked.

The unseemliest moment in this scandal was that the governor rushed out to the parking lot when this hourly worker's boss arrived for work to tattle-tell on him. Later, the governor had his staff search social media for anything bad about the governor that Swope may have posted. The governor's behavior was as petty and vindictive on a level that mimics that of his fellow Republican governor, Chris Christie and staff.

Note to editors: You don't have to include the "NC" after Charlotte anymore. It's the largest city in the 10th largest state and the number two banking center in the US.

Posted by: Jon Ponder | Feb 20, 2014 2:52:46 PM

10. The real question is how come "Reid's Fine Foods" doesn't take the position that Swope did?

As a person, Reid's Fine Foods is permitted an opinion on politics.

Or is Reid's Fine Foods just another scumbag?

Posted by: Randy | Feb 20, 2014 3:13:09 PM

11. @Jon Ponder: re: "You don't have to include the 'NC'...." Feeling a bit of an inferiority complex?

Posted by: William | Feb 20, 2014 3:26:01 PM

12. The idiot admits he deserves to be fired, and we should feel sorry for him?

He's being used as a pawn by that mayor.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Feb 20, 2014 3:46:02 PM

13. Had to chuckle over Jon Ponder's "Note to editors." As if Towleroad even knows what an editor is, much less has one! Dream on, Jon.

Posted by: John in Iowa | Feb 20, 2014 4:26:51 PM

14. The Mayor saw a good opportunity to show the difference between what most of government is and what it should be like. Good for the Mayor and good for Swope who had the balls to call out the ass of a governor. There are a lot of these pompous elected jerks who need reminded that they too are citizens no better than any other citizen

Posted by: Steve | Feb 20, 2014 6:19:27 PM

15. Oh miss Lincoln Lounger where have your Tea Party Azz been gutl? Trying to protect Christie Cremes?

Posted by: CHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Feb 21, 2014 12:33:03 AM

16. I meant GURL!

Posted by: CHOCOLATEBEARCUB | Feb 21, 2014 12:33:20 AM

17. THE CLERK PROBABLY IS ONE OF THE MILLIONS OF NORTH CAROLINA FOLKS THAT CANNOT GET OR AFFORD INSURANCE
    Today about 1.5 million North Carolinians are uninsured nearly 20 percent of the state's residents.The Medicaid expansion would have covered about 500,000 of them.
    MCCRORY CAN NOT EXPAND MEDICAID BECAUSE ART POPE MAKES THE DECISIONS!

THOM TILLIS SAYS "THE WHINING IS FROM THE LOSERS".
    HE'S RIGHT, IT IS THE WORKING FOLKS WHO CANNOT GET SUBSIDIES TO BUY HEALTH INSURANCE AND THOSE THAT CANNOT QUALIFY UNDER NC MEDICAID.
    BUT WHO CARES? NOT TILLIS, MCCRORY, POPE!

REPEAT!!!
    Today about 1.5 million North Carolinians are uninsured nearly 20 percent of the state's residents. The Medicaid expansion would have covered about 500,000 of them.

THANK GOD FOR OBAMACARE! AT LEAST SOME
    NORTH CAROLINA FOLKS CAN GET ACA INSURANCE.
    PS HOW MANY REPUBLICANS ARE GETTING HELP?

Posted by: JIMFITZSR | Feb 21, 2014 9:16:48 AM