Ireen Wüst | Russia | Sochi Olympics

Bisexual Dutch Speedskater Ireen Wüst Wins Sochi Gold

Dutch speedskater Ireen Wüst, one of seven openly gay and/or bisexual athletes at the Sochi Games, won a  gold medal on Sunday, the AP reports:

I-wustWüst claimed a speedskating gold medal at her third straight Winter Olympics, knocking off defending champion Martina Sablikova in the 3,000 meters Sunday. That made the Netherlands 2-for-2 at Adler Arena, the world's dominant speedskating nation living up to his billing through the first weekend in Sochi.

''Seventeen million Dutch wanted me to win,'' said Wüst, who painted her nails in the colors of the Dutch flag. ''Now the extreme pressure is off, and I can win more.''

Wüst is the first out athlete to medal.

Wüst says that Vladimir Putin "cuddled" her:

Dutch speedskater Ireen Wust told Dutch national broadcaster NOS, "I got a cuddle from him," at a party held in her honor. "He congratulated me and asked if everything was OK in Russia and I congratulated him on (Russian speedskater) Olga Graf, of course, for her third place (in the 3,000 meters). He was happy to see me, but then he had to leave again. But I cuddled him."

John van Vliet, a spokesman for the Netherlands' Olympics Committee, said Putin gave Wust a quick hug.

“He was on the way out. He congratulated her, hugged her, and wished her the best,” van Vliet said.

Comments

1. She must REALLY be more butch then her photograph shows if Putin "cuddled" her . . .

YIKE! Hope there was a strong sanitizer handy!

Posted by: Mike | Feb 10, 2014 9:11:35 AM

2. I think "cuddle" should be hug here, because I asume the Dutch word she used or was thinking of was Knuffel, which can be either translated as hugging or cuddling, depending on context. And in no possible context should there be cuddling with Putin.

Posted by: Snownova | Feb 10, 2014 9:19:00 AM

3. The Putin Propaganda Machine is running at full speed. He's just so cuddly and not a sign of homophobia. All is well in Russia. Nothing to see here. Go about your business.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 10, 2014 10:41:49 AM

4. Well, phuck me !
    Isn't that just fine and dandy.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 10, 2014 10:57:13 AM

5. Is hugging a gay olympic medalist considered 'propaganda'?

Posted by: phluidik | Feb 10, 2014 12:15:49 PM

6. Awesome. Her presence at the games as an out gay person helps the cause of LGBT equality even in a backward European country like Russia.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 10, 2014 12:21:45 PM

7. I think something got lost in translation. I just can't imagine an out female Dutch speedskater cuddling all night with the antigay president of Russia.

Posted by: Bernard | Feb 10, 2014 1:06:34 PM

8. she's not gay but bi and has a boyfriend

Posted by: checkurfacts | Feb 10, 2014 1:25:10 PM

9. A Russian gay site reports that, apparently, a Russian TV presenter announcing her said something along the line of "she is our [name of a Russian male speedskater], but he is of the correct orientation."

Posted by: Victor | Feb 10, 2014 1:38:34 PM

10. I watched the documentary "Hunted" on YouTube last night and it made me so angry at the horrific attacks that are being recorded and flaunted by the attackers with no fear of consequences (while anyone who says anything against the violence is arrested).
    It seems that when one is asked by Putin "whether everything is OK in Russia," it is the perfect opportunity to answer that no, obviously everything is far from OK.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 10, 2014 1:54:02 PM