Elections | Gay Marriage | Gay Marriage Quotes | Georgia | News

Georgia Senate Candidate Endorses Marriage Equality

Branko RadulovackBranko Radulovack, an underdog Democratic candidate for Georgia’s open Senate seat, gave a ringing endorsement of marriage equality in an interview with Atlanta Progressive News last week.

As a psychiatrist, I believe sexual orientation is a strong genetic component rather than a simple choice.  And, as a result, I see no basis for judging or discriminating against his or her to their sexual orientation.  I am a Christian, and as a Christian, I believe in the separation of church and state.

I don’t think our government should be in the business of discriminating against anyone because of their beliefs.  As a happily married man, I understand the desire to make a lifelong commitment to one person.  I see no legitimate reason to deny that right to someone else.  Pope Frances said, “Who am I to judge?”  That’s a strong statement and I agree with it.

Project Q Atlanta compares Radulovack’s full-throated endorsement with that of the leading Democrat in the race Michelle Nunn, who supports it on a personal level but believes the issue should be left to the states to decide.

Comments

1. Very nice

Posted by: WOLF | Feb 3, 2014 10:44:23 AM

2. Thank you Branko Radulovack. You sound like an intelligent progressive person. You also don't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected Senator in a backward state like Georgia.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 3, 2014 10:46:35 AM

3. I wouldn't trust the daughter of the odious Sam Nunn any further than I could throw her.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 3, 2014 11:00:59 AM

4. See, you can be Christian and still be rational and sane. Kudos to this guy for standing up with his convictions.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 3, 2014 11:28:09 AM

5. She supports it on a personal level, but thinks the states should decide?

Translation: she's a weasel. But then, as the daughter of Nunn, she's a weasel.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Feb 3, 2014 11:29:15 AM

6. You'd think someone at the Progressive News would know how to spell Francis!

Posted by: Dan | Feb 3, 2014 12:11:05 PM

7. Great endorsement for quality! Wish Michelle Nunn and the Republicans (HA!) would be just as bold.

Posted by: reality | Feb 3, 2014 12:24:43 PM

8. Democratic candidate Michell Nunn is just like her daddy, former Senator Sam Nunn, who forced Bill Clinton to rescind the executive order allowing gays to serve openly in the military.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Feb 3, 2014 12:29:18 PM

9. LOL @ "Pope Frances"

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Feb 3, 2014 12:49:13 PM

10. "I don’t think our government should be in the business of discriminating against anyone because of their beliefs."

Exactly,

The opposite should also true.

Our government shouldn't be in the business of PROMOTING anyone because of their beliefs.

The fringe groups in the Christian community spend far too much time promoting themselves as a victim in the strive for equality, especially marriage equality. They're not a true victim, it's just that someone's private religion doesn't get to trump equality in the United States. If your chosen religion doesn't carry the power it's constitutionally banned from carrying, where's the issue? If your chosen religion limits another person's equality based solely on your scripture, why would there not be an issue?

I consider myself a Christian, as do many gay citizens of the United States but I have no right to my religion controlling my government or standing in the way of good citizenship and neither do you, whatever your religion.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Feb 3, 2014 2:50:00 PM

11. Separation of church and state? I haven't heard that one from a politician in a while.

Posted by: Marty | Feb 3, 2014 3:03:08 PM