Jason Collins | Judy Shepard | Matthew Shepard | News

Jason Collins, Who Wears '98' in Tribute to Matthew Shepard, Met His Parents Last Night: PHOTO

Collins_shepard

Brooklyn Nets player Jason Collins, who wears '98' as a tribute to Matthew Shepard who was brutally murdered that year, met Shepard's parents and brother Logan for the first time last night after they drove four hours from their home in Casper, Wyoming to see him in Denver. He presented them with a jersey.

Said Collins before the meeting:

“I was in college at the time when [Matthew] was killed. Of course it’s a tragedy what happened and I just hope it inspires others to come forward. It’s definitely going to be special meeting them after the game (Thursday) and I’m looking forward to it."

Collins' jersey has been selling in record numbers since it went on the NBA's website earlier this week.

The NY Daily News adds:

Asked if he thought the popularity of the jersey could be seen as a symbol of support for those uncomfortable about revealing their sexuality, Collins said, “That’s something for you guys to speculate on. But I’m always encouraging others to live their life and speak up and come forward if you want to, and know that if you do there’s a lot of people waiting to support you.”

Tweeted Collins, with the above photo: "I'm so fortunate to have met Matthew Shepard's parents and brother tonight after @BrooklynNets win tonight in Denver"

An interview with Collins, and Shepard, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. If that isn't the sweetest. What a tall drink a water he is too.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 28, 2014 7:21:01 AM

2. Maybe I'm just an 'old gay', (49) but reading this made my eyes water this morning. Jason Collins seems to radiate inner peace. And I'm happy to see Matthew Shephard's memory live on.

Posted by: greg | Feb 28, 2014 7:34:54 AM

3. Wow! Collins is TALL.

Posted by: Victor | Feb 28, 2014 8:08:45 AM

4. He's tall in the most important way --spiritually.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 28, 2014 8:38:13 AM

5. Dammit, hate it when my eyes get teary right before work.

Posted by: Dback | Feb 28, 2014 10:14:02 AM

6. That is wonderful. Matthew Shepard was murdered my freshman year of college and I was deeply affected by it and this was before I was even out. Glad to see his legacy lives on.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 28, 2014 10:18:38 AM

7. Yeah, he is tall. He should be a basketball player.

Posted by: SFRowGuy | Feb 28, 2014 1:33:44 PM

8. To those people who say a man cannot have grace, I suggest you look at this young man. He is a true role model for our younger generation.

Posted by: I wont grow up | Feb 28, 2014 4:05:19 PM

9. @Greg - I too am an old gay (45) and teary-eyed. Collins is a good man.

Posted by: bravo | Feb 28, 2014 5:08:48 PM

10. You sound like characters on "Modern Family." Apples and oranges, but I'm not on this PR bandwagon.

If anyone reads this please comment. Censorship lives.

Posted by: Blake | Feb 28, 2014 6:37:54 PM

11. Why do they censor you Blake? They think they are so clever having your comment appear, and on sidebar, but no one is seeing it. They are getting more crafty than the NSA. NS ASS power.

Posted by: Jason | Feb 28, 2014 9:05:41 PM

12. Jason on Jason Collins, Who Wears '98' in Tribute to Matthew Shepard, Met His

Posted by: Jason | Feb 28, 2014 9:10:13 PM

13. What does that mean Jason? You'll have to be more clever.

Posted by: Jason | Feb 28, 2014 10:22:32 PM

14. Clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap. (Bravo.)

Posted by: Jedi | Mar 1, 2014 8:39:39 AM

15. that's awesome. just felt like randomly saying...one thing people don't often mention is how tiny Matthew was when he was killed...I think all of 5'2" - so in addition to homophobia, I think there was a bit of heightism going on as well

Posted by: steve | Mar 1, 2014 3:29:59 PM

16. Not all basketball players are that tall. RIP Matthew.

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 2, 2014 7:18:46 PM