‘Looking’ Back: Episode 5, ‘Looking For the Future’

RoadSeeing how nicely one story filled out these 30 minutes, I'm not looking forward to cramming in Dom (Murray Bartlett) and Agustín (Frankie J. Alvarez) next week. It's not that I'm not interested in their stories, but Haigh's style works best when it has time to breathe.

RoadThe conversations tonight not only cued us in to more of what's making Patrick and Richie tick, but it also spoke volumes about the contemporary gay experience. It highlighted the questions both same-sex and straight couples ask one another (Do you want to get married? What was your first time like?), and the ones that are unique to gay men (How did you come out? Are you ashamed to be a bottom?). Their conversations throughout the day reflected the ordinariness of being gay in 2014 along with the the parts of gay life that are still unique.

RoadI thought the sex scene between Richie and Patrick was particularly bold. It wasn't scandalous or graphic, but it was realistic. We haven't seen many matter-of-fact rim jobs depicted on television, and Haigh's light-handed approach is a welcome introduction to what gay sex really looks like. Stripped of the dramatic lighting and music, it could go a long way in showing mainstream audiences that it's not as alien as they might have been led to believe.

RoadSpeaking of sex, clearly Patrick's aversion to bottoming is meant to be deeper than just a sexual preference. He's not ready to let anyone in. His day with Richie was progress, but, by the end, he still wasn't ready yet to let Richie see all his darkest secrets at the señora or to let him top. "Maybe I opened up enough today," he says. His problem bottoming reminded me of a scene in John Cameron Mitchell's amazing film Shortbus: "[New York is] one of the last places where people are still willing to bend over to let in the new. And the old. New Yorkers are, uh, permeable."

RoadWhile we also learned more about Richie, tonight explained a lot about Patrick. The flaws that have made him borderline insufferable the last few weeks are starting to make a little more sense. Keeping himself so tightly-wound must be exhausting; no wonder he has little energy for social graces. It makes his trouble keeping his foot out of his mouth a little more excusable. "You worry about so much," Richie tells him. When we hear about his mother, or how he struggles to see a boyfriend as more than just his sex life, it really illustrates just how much growing up Patrick still has to do.

What did you think of the episode? Are you still watching? Do you want to see more?

Comments

1. Mike says

I’m not sure what you found strong about last night’s episode. I was incredibly bored with both characters. I like Jonathan Groff but an episode dedicated to his bottoming issues was not needed. I had six people watching with me, all straight and they had seen the other episodes…they were very bored. It was a half hour of preaching to the gay community through a completely mismatched couple. The bj scene was nice though.

2. Profe Sancho Panza says

This one benefitted from not trying to develop all three friends’ plotlines in the same episode. I liked the exploration of the couple’s individual psychologies and the relationship dynamic. This is what Looking could do well, and what differentiates it from more plot-driven shows. But it won’t be everyone’s cuppa.

3. Jonnycakes says

I’m not sure what Mike Is implying when he refers to the character’s as “mismatched?” If he means socio-economically or ethnically, I think that is incredibly shallow and reprehensible.

If he means sexually, that remains to be seen. Although it seemed to be implied during the Ross/Rachel conversation that they were compatible.

4. JonnyNYNY2FLFL says

OK, I admit it. At this point I am merely hate-watching “Looking”.

My opinion that it is a poorly written mess with no direction & unappealling characters was only reinforced by last night’s episode.

The meandering and shallow dialogue between Patrick and the hairdresser last night made me suspect there is no script at all. Instead, the actors are just doing improv & the producers are editing a bunch of vignettes together and calling it a show.

HBO has a total FAIL in its lineup with this one. Glad it will only be 3 more episodes & then forgotton.

5. Bryant says

Last night’s episode was really good. I’d watched the first two episodes and then tuned the show out, assuming I wouldn’t watch it again. However, last night’s show pulled into the characters storyline. I was interested and found myself watching the show intently and wanting to know what happened next. I’m not sure whether “Looking” will be picked up for another season, however, if the remainder of the season is like last night’s episode, the show deserves another “look”.

6. Kermit says

Here’s to hoping LOOKING will survive at least to a complete season 2. I absolutely love the dynamic between Richie (he’s my fav! Raul Castillo!) and Jonathan Groff. Not every TV show (nor person, career, business, etc., for that matter) comes out of the gates swinging at full speed ahead, and this doesn’t have to be an end-all/be-all barometer to a show’s success or failure. While it is true I have watched other gay-themed shows that started off a lot stronger than ‘Looking’ has, I am one a few viewers (maybe) who are really “feeling” all of the characters and absolutely adoring the relationship between Richie and Patrick. I want to see where it goes!

7. not looking says

Um, I can’t watch this bogus show anymore. Episode five checked off more items on the gay list of stereotypical dialogue: top or bottom?–check; when do you first have sex?–check; how did you come out to your parents?–check. It is just a shallow plot trying to redeem itself with spit or swallow sex.

8. David says

After watching this episode, I definitely want a second season of Looking!!! and also please, one-hour episodes.

9. Mitch says

I liked it. I still do. I am not sure why those that hate it so much, continue to watch it. Oh, so they can be venemous.

10. Stefan says

I thought last night’s change of pace to focusing solely on Patrick and Richie was nice, but I also felt like it might have been a bit too soon in the show’s run to do a stand-alone episode and disregard the other character’s plots since we’re still in the “getting to them” phase. That being said, my a straight girl friend of mine had never watched the show and watched this episode with me last night and fell in love with the show, so maybe isolating the characters a bit more helps. rather than spreading the stories too thin. Though I hated LOOKING before it even aired, mostly because I felt like this was going to be yet another gay show about beautiful men who have unrealostic problems, my opinion has changed. I feel they’re doing a good job at making it relatable and real and humorous. I have slowly warmed to the show and am interested in seeing where they take the characters.
    I did think “this is very Before Sunset” and loved how cinematic and feature-film-esque the episode felt. Bravo to a well-crafted half hour.

11. anon says

” We haven’t seen many matter-of-fact rim jobs depicted on television, and Haigh’s light-handed approach is a welcome introduction to what gay sex really looks like. Stripped of the dramatic lighting and music, it could go a long way in showing mainstream audiences that it’s not as alien as they might have been led to believe.”

We didn’t SEE a matter-of-fact rim job on this episode either. One was alluded to through dialogue. So, it isn’t going to go any way at all in SHOWING mainstream audiences anything. And, unless gay sex is totally made up of contorted facial expressions, it was not any kind of introduction to what gay sex REALLY LOOKS like.

Maybe you need to choose your words a little more carefully. You can’t SHOW or SEE what gay sex REALLY LOOKS like without ever putting a penis on the screen.

And, what was the deal with Patrick getting out of bed and putting his underwear on only to walk to the bathroom and get into the shower? Seriously, who gets dressed for their trip from the bed to the bathroom?

The aversion to showing any actual nudity on this program is painfully obvious.

12. Truthiness says

I just want all the characters to use the personal grooming & hygiene techniques their mother taught them.

you know, stuff like that.

13. jomicur says

A shame? I watched the first three episodes, and they were dull, pointless and unfocused. If something hasn’t engaged me after ninety minutes, I’m not about to waste any more time on it. The only shame is that the series isn’t any good.

14. Brian says

A bunch of bitter queens in here. If you hate it stop watching, this is not Queer as Folk 2.0. If you hate it, stop watching it.

About 12 of us got together last night and watched last week’s and this week’s episodes. This was a group that predominantly had not seen the show before. They thought last week’s episode was poor but this week was grand. In fact we decided on a new hashtag RuPaul style, #bottomshame. Haha

Queens get over yourselves.

15. Bill says

The real shame is that one would have to pay for HBO just to see this. Move it over to basic cable–something like AMC.

16. MickyFlip says

I felt the ep was one of the better ones. In fact, I loved the deep characterization as both explore each other and discover themselves through each other while walking through the city. Oddly, I personally felt… more empathy for both characters (probably more so in Patrick) that surprised me. So yeah, I felt this episode was a good ep. It was slow but the fact both characters are discovering each other is something I can totally relate to on multiple levels. And the part where they both have the discussion about HIV is something I truly relate to, as well. Especially how Patrick reacted when he said something about sneezing.

I also love how Andrew Haigh keeps the characters grounded and realistic. It’s not so fantastical. It feels quite stable in it’s realism. That is where his talent as director truly shines imo. And I also have to give props to the writers for keeping it grounded as well.

This has to be my fav episode yet by far. Kudos to the whole cast and crew.

17. MickyFlip says

In fact, another thing about the ep I should point out is the fact the pacing was intentional imo. Because..well…when you discover those moments about yourself with someone you care for. They become moments you want to last forever and enjoy that certain amount of time with them. And I personally felt that was what being conveyed through both characters. The sense of timelessness as they wander through the beautiful landscapes and enjoy being with each other. While learning about each other. Yeah, I feel this was done to wonderful effect. You just want time to stop and remember those moments.

Oh, and I’m sorry but I love the hirsute- otter look. Beautiful. Yeah, this ep was brilliant.

18. Chip says

For what it’s worth, I’m enjoying the show very much. I’m sorry others are not, but everyone has different tastes.

19. JonnyNYNY2FLFL says

I believe this blog invited readers to express their honest opinions of the show. Are we supposed to blindly praise it because it has a gay theme?

I think most viewers were excited to learn HBO was offering up this sort of programming. Sadly, many of us also require a level of quality which we think is sorely missing from this particular series.

I hope higher standards are sought for the next gay show they greenlight.

20. crispy says

“Are we supposed to blindly praise it because it has a gay theme?”

No, but say your piece and then STFU. Coming back to the comments EVERY week to repost the same crap just makes you seem like an a-hole. Also, if you hate the show so much, why do you continue watching?

“Sadly, many of us also require a level of quality which we think is sorely missing from this particular series.”

At this point, I feel like if you’re going to criticize the show’s quality, which is subjective anyways, you should be required to mention what shows you feel are high quality. Please do share. This oughtta be good.

21. Steve Talbert says

I prefer the small segments with the different characters, because the writing isn’t that good for extended plots. I think the actors are doing well with what they are given.

I also don’t get the attraction to Richie by Patrick other than they are both interested in Patrick.

If there are more scenes like the fortuneteller, I will stop watching. California is not Quebec. Why would Richie ‘forget’ that Patrick probably doesn’t understand much spanish?!? The scene makes no sense. They had already gone over the part where it’s crazy to have someone crack eggs on you to tell the future when Richie first talked about being delusional. Maybe if the show was magical realism or something like early episodes of Ally McBeal.

22. Critifur says

I read these comments, and it makes me sad. I must have seriously bad taste, because according to so many, this is a terrible program. Yet I have loved it from the first. I enjoyed last night, it always leaves me smiling. This show reflects my life, experience, feelings, and fuzzy body. I do wish the episodes were longer, though I fear that would just give the critics more to dislike. Looking is not QAF, thankfully. It is quiet, and thoughtful. I comfort myself in the knowledge that many of these same people that seem to hate Looking, are the very same legions that love Kardashians, and Housewives in ways I can never fathom.

23. crispy says

“many of these same people that seem to hate Looking, are the very same legions that love Kardashians, and Housewives”

Nailed it.

24. Tony Diaz says

I loved it. A very realistic portrayal of a day in the life of two gay men getting to know each other with authentic dialogue and situations. I also love the ethnic diversity of the characters, which is really representative of gay relationships. “Looking” needs our support. Let’s not forget that only a couple of years ago a show like this would not ever be considered let alone greenlit for production. Peeps let’s not throw the “baby out with the bathwater” because it’s “boring” and not glossy enough, etc. Its bold and character driven television. What a concept? Hope it sticks around for several years.

25. Ted says

I’m enjoying the show tremendously. I found the 3rd episode very compelling and it pulled me in. I think Groff is doing a great job in playing a character who is really trying to find himself. Missed seeing his friends in episode 5

26. GregSD says

I have been so impressed with Looking thus far. I can understand that for some people, the slow pace and quiet moments may not be what they look for in entertainment, but those moments are exactly what I love about this show. Also – avclub.com (the TV club section) – they have excellent recaps and intelligent discussion. FYI.

27. sean says

loved the show from the beginning. all the criticism is boring and weak. there’s nothing like it on tv, so instead of bashing it support it. writing is excellent and acting excellent.

28. says

It is sad when web series are better than a big budget production. “The Outs”, “Whatever this is” and “Hunting Season” are all much better done than HBO’s “Looking”.

And where was Russel Tovey? They made such a big deal of him being in the show and we have seen maybe 10 minutes of him.

29. David says

What’s fascinating is how these are the same responses to LGBT media that have been taking place since THAT CERTAIN SUMMER…I suspect even further back in print and theater. We expect these programs to be all things to all people…or rather, all things to each one of us. It’s a little sad, really, that we demand that these be primary texts, that can’t let there be many texts, multiple narratives, that appeal to all the diverse aspects of our community. Or that we feel the need to express such disdain for the work of others who, even in today’s environment, faced remarkable obstacles to create such an intimate, non-melodramatic, albeit insular reflect of our lives. I’m sure this will provoke, but I think we’re still dealing with lots of self-hate and shame, which is why we can never seem to put aside our barbed critiques and press-on talons. I just wish, 40 years later, we still weren’t acting like THE BOYS IN THE BAND. I hope we could respect the artists in our community and the work they do and, if not, move on. There’s plenty other queer and gay media out there…especially online. Go find something that moves you…advocate for it…but leave these artists alone. We eat our own in this community. If you need to tear something down to make yourself feel better, there’s far better targets for your disdain than this series. Go find it.

30. Ajai says

Like Weekend, Looking seems primarily interested in relationships between gay men that resemble three-dimensional people. They aren’t villains, they aren’t glorified, they aren’t caricatures that exist for the amusement of heterosexuals as in the most recent episode of Girls. They are just cloying, ordinary humans, and I appreciate that.

31. Lazycrockett says

Probably the best episode ever bout the beginnings of a gay relationship in the history of US television.

32. northalabama says

still watching, and admit it’s getting more interesting as the characters develop, but i don’t have the patience to stay with the show if it starts to track downhill.

the bumpy introduction of the characters at the start of the series was seriously lacking, and while the writers have begun to redeem themselves, i’m still on the fence. i want to like the show, sadly i don’t, at least not yet.

33. Joseph says

My husband and I love this show. It is about characters who happen to be gay and this allows the writers to add real details about gay lives we don’t see in film or television. I am not sure why there are so many haters. Are the haters an older generation? I don’t get it.

34. mike says

episode 5 now has me invested. I enjoyed 1-4 but they were a little sporadic and were all over the place without allowing anything to soak in. I do still feel an hour would develope more of the stories. I’ll be watching and hope it continues. We all have similiar and unique stories. Let’s allow them all to be told through these characters AND through the years. Who knows, maybe as this series takes off, and i hope it does, it will educate those of a life they haven’t understood as of yet.

35. says

I dug it. And I dig it. in many ways it reminds me of my friends and i. we laugh, we cry, we bond, we f**k a lot. it’s kinda fun. i can see what that upsets some people 😉

36. Brian in Texas says

My ONLY criticism of this show is that I wish it were an hour so they could flesh out the characters and stories a little more. Crossing my fingers for a second season with at least more episodes if not an hour long format.

37. Shannon says

THE REASON THIS SHOW IS BORING IS CAUSE IT SHOWS A FALSE SENSE OF WHAT REALITY…AND GAY REALITY IS! SILLY…VAPID GAY WHITE MEN —NOT—- ANY “MAJORITY”….ANYWHERE?? WHERE ARE THE BLACK PEOPLE? AND THE ONE MEXICANS IS SOOOOOO SELF HATING AND HAPPY TO HAVE A WHITE….FAT….UGLY…BORING “BOYFRIEND” HE IS CUMMING ALL OVER THE PLACE. THIS SHOW IS SILLY. THE WHITE IS NOOO PRIZE TO ANYONE. TALK ABOUT HIV….DRUGS…SELF HATE…..JEEZ…..ANOTHER SHOW GLORIFYING SOME UGLY GAY WHITE DUDE,……

38. Vince says

My two cents on whether “Looking” is any good… I think The Gays were expecting a reincarnation of “Queer as Folk”. While QaF was meant to be scandalous and provocative, “Looking” is a lot more introspective, moodier and subtler, and requires time to breathe. It’s dialog- and character-driven, not dependent on the fun, flashy trash that QaF prided itself on. I don’t think the 30-minute format does “Looking” any favors, though – episodes should be an hour long to give each story time to build. I’m sad to think that “Looking” won’t get renewed for another season, just when it’s just getting good.

C’mon, fags… drop your glow sticks and give it another try.

39. dtbf says

I agree that this episode felt like a blend of “Weekend” and “Before Sunrise”.

I’ll also mention that Andrew Haigh has previously used “aversion to bottoming” as a character development device, in “Weekend”: when Russell and Glen first hook up, Russ doesn’t let Glen top him (this is told during the morning-after when Glen has the tape recorder).
    During they last have sex in the film, Russell finally “lets Glen in” – thematically revealing an opening up (pun intended) or a change in their relationship.

40. crispy says

Thank you, Shannon, for providing the perfect example of the people who don’t appreciate this show.

41. Jay says

Thirty minutes is too short for a week long wait. It makes the show feel disjointed and doesn’t allow for the story to build up and actually go somewhere.

42. Daniel B. says

I loved the episode last night. Not that it was perectly written but maybe because it came close to what I expected tonally from the show. Unfortunately Groff’s character is irreversibly unpleasant in my eyes. I just can’t stand him. First it is the character itself and then I suspect that I have a problem with Groff. Richie steals every scene he is in.

43. Saturnalia says

The best episode to date of an otherwise excellent series.

I am just sad that something of this level of quality and maturity can not resonate more with audiences.

Well I guess it is that instant gratification thing that has devoided most of movies and tv and books and comics of anything of quality and reduced it to pure time filler popcorn entertainment.

But yeah, let this flop and see when there is going to be another tv show of gay interest. Seriously, with glorious In the Flesh, and I am biased for it being a Fantasy show that resembles the book I tend to read smart SF drama, the best thing that happened to gay TV in such a long time.

44. G says

Yeah sorry to burst some bubbles, but I watch quality shows like Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, etc. and I hated Looking… But if you insist on projecting vapid taste on those of us who hate it, by all means go right on ahead.

My issue with this show is that it really seems like they saw the insanely campy unreality depicted in Queer as Folk, and decided to do a complete 180˚- which just turned into another, much more boring unreality of what gay life is like.

The most glaring issue however, seems to be one that may be entirely out of the show’s control- the complete aversion to showing gay sexual content. You look at shows like Sex and the City, true Blood, or Girls, and sex is very graphically depicted; yet, when it comes to gay sex, suddenly we’re forced to read between the lines about what is happening off camera… Based purely on the amount of female nudity vs male nudity in Game of Thrones, I’m forced to conclude this might in fact be HBO’s doing. Bottom line though, when they can’t depict a core aspect of what it means to be gay, it kills a show that prides itself on be frank and honest.

45. Andy G. says

I’ve really been enjoying the series and hope it survives to a second season. This year marks my 30th anniversary living in San Francisco and what I’ve seen thus far on “Looking” rings true to many of my past experiences (albeit transplanted to the present day). I particularly like the storyline with Patrick & Richie because it reminds me of a time in the late 90s when this geeky neurotic white boy fell hard for a sexy, confident Latino (who I now affectionately refer to as my Tex-Mex ex).

46. Just me says

To all of us appealing to Hate-watchers : it’s called ‘opinion’. It comes in positive and negative form. We saw the episodes, we put effort in it, we didn’t like it. It’s more than fair, now, to express our opinion on what we just watched.

47. Eric says

Rumor is HBO will announce this week that “Looking” won’t be renewed. The ratings are terrible – Sunday’s cracked the bottom (no pun intended) for an HBO show since they’ve been measured.

48. crispy says

Sorry, Eric, but you are flat wrong. Last Sunday’s episode, the fourth of the season, was a record high rating for the show. The ratings are indeed low, but it does indicate that the audience is growing. And given how inexpensive it is to produce, there’s a chance HBO may stick with it for another season.

The fact that you don’t know WTF you are talking about means no one should pay much attention to your “rumor.”

49. crispy says

“suddenly we’re forced to read between the lines about what is happening off camera”

If you had to “read between the lines” during that blowjob scene, one can only assume that you haven’t had much sex.

50. Jerry says

@Jonnycakes:

Except that, judging from the preview, that’s EXACTLY where they’re going with the socioeconomic/cultural thing. And it’s AUGUSTIN who will be pushing that particular button.

51. Rick D. says

You can’t fix bitter.

Towleroad, due to its heavily bitter-leaning readership, is not the place to go for an accurate/enlightened take on a new gay tv show. (Thanks for trying though, Andy T.)

I love this show, it appeals to me, it pulls me in, it turns me on. I hope it survives for another season. Re: this week’s episode, I totally relate to the awkwardness of the uptight white guy, and the sexy, warm, evolved schtick of the Mexican guy. And all those topics they cover are the same ones I go through/go over when I meet a new guy (though not, perhaps, in the same 24 hours): spot-on!

For those who don’t like the show, try just like what we say to homophobes about gay sex: if you don’t like it, don’t do it!

52. David says

Last night’s episode was really good, and I enjoyed the previous ones too. I don’t know what ‘Not Looking’ is talking about – those stereotypes that you mention are all important conversations that gay guys usually will have. You have unrealistic expectations, methinks.

53. Jay says

I’m bored with this show. There was nothing exciting about Richie playing a Mana song or Jonathan simulating oral sex. The ending with the psychic felt half baked.

54. darkorient says

Looking is definitely not Queer as Folks, and thank goddess for that! I’m really loving Richie’s character. Yes, half an hour is not enough!

55. drjustino says

It’s really disheartening to hear all the negativity. Like so many have said, if you have SUCH high standards, and truly hate this show, then stop watching, and go away! Personally I think the show is FASCINATING and I’m proud to say that. I thought this most recent episode was the best so far – it really lended itself to getting into the characters. My only gripe with the show so far is that I cannot get into Frankie Alvarez’s character, but 2/3 characters is still plenty worthy to watch, and Jonathan Groff/Patrick is my favorite, so an entire episode with him was great! I really liked how when it opened, you were led to believe they just had a one night stand, but then when he comes to watch Ritchie plan guitar, it is revealed this was #6 sleepover or so, making it definitely a blossoming relationship. It fascinates me because it does highlight the contemporary young gay man’s experience, and it is an experience that I did not have (was in the closet til 29, then met my now husband, so never really dated or had hookups). I’ll definitely keep watching to be able to see this experience on the screen!

56. Knickie says

Just as a reminder, QAF had a pretty straightforward rimming scene in the first episode: “Now you know what rimming is.” It’s not exactly unknown territory. If I remember correctly, Gale Harold later informed the world that Randy Harrison’s ass tasted like cumin. Good to know, y’all.

57. Tomas says

I thought episode 5 had a genuine erotic feel, amusing dialogue, and a charming, low-key sexiness from Raul Castillo. I’ve seen this kind of dynamic in San Francisco and in Silverlake on more than one occasion. If anything, the filmmakers don’t seem to recognize that the group they are portraying is often as exclusionary as the WeHo/Chelsea scene, but that’s for another day. When a show attempts a generally realistic pace, trying to land between gay mumblecore and the British “Queer as Folk”, I have to laud it for trying and am willing to let it develop. For every clunky bit of exposition, there’s an elegant small moment. I’m sorry so many gay people (and their “groups of straight friends”) claim to be “bored” but I also have to wonder about their expectations. Since gay themed shows are still extremely rare, too bad the target community can’t display more interest and patience rather than hasten to rush ‘Looking’ into obscurity, as if that’s somehow a point of coolness pride. I’d hate to be almost anything that has to go through the rapidity of our current pop acceptance cycle.

58. Jim says

After watching all the episodes, I’m just tuning in now because there’s nothing else like it on TV, not because I’m interested in what happens. So far, there has been little or no drama, conflict, or real dramatic interest. They took “slice of life” to the extreme for TV – the characters just seem to be hanging around, and any episode of “Modern Family” has more going on in 30 minutes. I like Andrew Haigh’s naturalistic, unfussy direction, but the characters don’t really have anything interesting to say or do. The date episode was OK, but their conversation was flat and not a whole lot was revealed about them. Needs better writers and more interesting characters. Right now they’re all just sort of floating along.

59. Dellbert says

I have to admit, I enjoy Looking. The episodes had been languishing on our DVR, so, I watched all 5 episodes in one sitting. I really enjoy the 30-minute segments. There’s a lot of story to be packed in this time slot. And finally, a group of gay men which whom I can relate. This isn’t like “A-List” or “Queer as Folk”, which seemed to cater to one specific demographic.

I agree, there are parts of each episode which seem less engaging than others, but in hindsight, it seems to be quite intended as we move through the series.

Thanks HBO!!!

60. emjayay says

So, they need a beard trimmer, soap, water, comb, styling product, haircut, deoderant, a razor, moisturizer, washing machine, dry cleaner.

I missed seeing the dirt on the actor’s skin and under their fingernails and their dry skin, and the dirt and stains on their clothes. My TV is just a regular Samsung 46″ HDTV. Maybe I should get one of those new super HDTVs, but I don’t have the $5000 or whatever they cost. I guess I could sell my car. And my TV doesn’t have Smell-O-Vision either, so I don’t know if the actors are wearing sufficient deodorant or anti-antiperspirant or if they took a shower this morning, which come to think of it would be hard to tell if they use no-fragrance soap like I do. I’m so behind the times and living in poverty I didn’t even know other people had Smell-0-Vision equipped TVs.

I have noticed however in real life guy’s hair isn’t always carefully gelled into place and clearly few even gay guys get bi-weekly manicures and I sometimes do notice a bit of schmutz on their jeans, and hardly anybody seems to check themselves in a three way full length mirror every few minutes.

61. emjayay says

Weekend was not exactly a blockbuster film. I saw it at ITV in Manhattan and it was in their little bittiest theater. It did get great reviews and I loved it myself, but this kind of stuff isn’t a mainstream cup of tea. I’m hoping HBO knew this going in and wanted the critical and indie sort of mumblecore fan cred and didn’t require high ratings for this show.