Disney | Gay Marriage | Mormon

BigGayDeal.com

Mormon Grandma Freaks Out About the Gay Agenda in Disney's 'Frozen'

Frozen

Frozen, Disney's latest CGI offering for families, has been met with critical and financial success, its song "Let It Go" has over 100 million views on YouTube, and has achieved a level of penetration into the collective cultural consciousness that the house of mouse hasn't seen in quite some time. Despite most viewers generally regarding the film somewhere between "Ok" and "Amazing", one Mormon grandmother took grave exception to the film and wrote on her website Well-Behaved Mormon Woman an excessively lengthy blog post about how Frozen is promoting the gay agenda.

Yes, really.

FrozenAmong the film's evidently many pro-gay subtexts are:

Elsa has a great power that she has been taught by her parents from the time she was a child, is not publicly acceptable and that she must fear its expression, at all cost, thus hide it from people, even her own sister who could be hurt by it - even killed. Shame is at the core of Elsa's feelings about her magical powers: same-sex attraction.

Even "Let It Go" doesn't escape condemnation:

The words to "Let it Go" are clearly not Christian-values friendly, by any stretch of the imagination, when understood and heard. This is not an innocent song, with a catchy tune. It is rebellious. It mocks moral absolutes. It is careless. It is unaccountable. It is anti-obedience. It is regardless. It is selfish. And if you still disagree, then by all means, feel free to show me how I've misinterpreted the lyrics.

Never mind that most of all Disney films use some form of rebellion as the driving force behind the story. However, it's all ok, because she's totally not anti-gay:

Let me be very clear about one thing, I am not anti-gay nor am I here to judge homosexuals not worthy of their rightful and respectful place among society. However, I draw the line at the idea of redefining traditional marriage to include homosexual relationships, as equal.

Obviously the film is telling the story of the outsider, a trope that films and books have used since time immemorial with the X-Men films being one of the more recent examples, and homosexuals happen to fit nicely in to. Somehow, though, Frozen telling that story is secretly gay indoctrination, as one poor father discovered when he realized that the movie totally completely turned his son homo.

Case in point, I took Will to see Frozen about a month ago. He loved it. He started singing all the songs like “Let It Go,” at the top of his lungs. I thought it was adorable — until WBMW peeled back the onion to reveal it as a gay anthem (It’s time to see what I can do / To test the limits and break through / No right, no wrong, no rules for me / I’m free). Might as well throw a headdress on him and make him sing YMCA!

Comments

1. What? No mention of Oaken's (of Wandering Oaken’s Trading Post and Sauna) same sex partner and kids?

Posted by: TimF | Feb 21, 2014 7:24:05 PM

2. You know she's a frightened old woman...she sounds like my aunt--an extremely devout Baptist-- who became increasingly fearful and tremendously focused on the scourge of out of wedlock babies back in the 70's; she ended up dying of alzheimers. This woman will find something bad in anything...if gays weren't so prominent, it would be something else. She may be old, but she's far from mature.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Feb 21, 2014 7:33:51 PM

3. "Same-sex attraction" equates magical powers? Wish someone would have told me.

Posted by: Brig | Feb 21, 2014 7:39:07 PM

4. Actually, we discussed this in my Women in the History of U.S. Film class and how a Queer Theory reading the film definitely affirms the queer way in which one can interpret the film. However, to dispute this woman, nowhere in the films did it ever imply her parents taught her her powers, just that she developed them.

Posted by: Darrell | Feb 21, 2014 7:43:19 PM

5. I imagine that 'poor' father and mormon grandmother in straightjackets...

Homophobes don't get to define homophobia or have the last say on identifying homophobes.

'I'm not a homophobe but...'

'I'm not anti-gay but...'

'I have gay friends and...'

Those lines only work on other homophobes; when will they learn that?

Posted by: TurnAround | Feb 21, 2014 7:50:22 PM

6. I think the Mormon lady is a nutcase. I saw the movie and thought it was very charming. There was no evidence it was pro-gay at all.

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Feb 21, 2014 7:53:38 PM

7. What an ass. "I draw the line!" Well, good for you, Grandma. Unfortunately for you, you and your book of fairy tales (ironically) have no bearing on our secular society.

Posted by: Tigernan | Feb 21, 2014 7:56:20 PM

8. The irony is that gay people have been doing this for decades: desperately searching mainstream pop culture product for subtext and ways to relate. Our academics and critics made it an art form.(Parker Tyler anyone?) Now here comes hateful Mormon grandma doing the exact same thing, sniffing out teh ghey in every offering and finding evidence in smoke. Maybe grandma has a bitter secret...

Posted by: crashops | Feb 21, 2014 7:59:30 PM

9. Every time people like this come up with this ridiculousness, their lunacy only makes their entire argument more pathetic and idiotic.

But my favorite line of this batshit loons starts, "However, I draw the line at the idea..." Oh, SHE draws the line. Nana, if you don't like America, there's a plenty of ways off the continent. I'm sure you kind of crazy would be happily accepted in many countries in Africa.

Posted by: Bart | Feb 21, 2014 8:08:42 PM

10. @Christian Walters, and @Turnaround: If you read the link from the "poor father", you can see his tongue is firmly in his cheek. Note also the comments on his blog and his linked article on reaching out to gay teens.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 21, 2014 8:09:18 PM

11. I saw the movie, and...wow!...I did not take any such subtext. Her parents were completely supportive of her magic, and desperately wanted to help her learn to control it. Other than that, the movie was squarely heterocentric and heteronormative.

No, the lesson I took from it was that when Muslim terrorists do horrible things to us, it's our own fault and we should apologize to the terrorists and appease them, because somehow they're the victims for blowing us up and we're the monsters!

Posted by: JJ | Feb 21, 2014 8:09:37 PM

12. Note to Well-behaved Mormon grandma: Most christians don't consider you to be a christian.

Judge not lest you be judged hon.

Posted by: bkmn | Feb 21, 2014 8:11:15 PM

13. OMGawd! The pathos. The irony.
    Not just a Mormon but a WELL BEHAVED Mormon Woman.

LOL. Yet again I'm in tears. You can't make this stuff up.
    She sees gay people. And just to make sure she sat through it three times.

Her supporters and support comments are just as delusional. That's some powerful gay magic we possess. Why did we bother fighting for 40 years?

Love one poor father's 8 yr old.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Feb 21, 2014 8:21:41 PM

14. Remember the old days when the bible thumpers would see a movie like that and get bent out of shape about the horrible evils of magic and call it witchcraft and equate it with satan? Now they get their panties in a bunch and blame the gays. Those poor dogooders need to put the bible down for a while and just go outside or something.

Well behaved mormon woman? No comment needed on that one.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 21, 2014 8:44:58 PM

15. It's about time someone sounded the clarion call against this demonic film, which apparently seeks to advance the "demonetization of homosexuals by society."

Society should return to good Mormon values, in which homosexuals are treated as money.

Posted by: Vint | Feb 21, 2014 9:03:21 PM

16. @VINT and as a "well behaved mormon woman" she would know her place as wife #3.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 21, 2014 9:13:11 PM

17. I've seen it twice, and my six year old boy has seen it 5(!!!) times. We watch scenes and songs on you tube nearly daily
    And yes - I absolutely read her ice queen scene as a double entendre for coming out. She plays as a lesbian to me. But her story is also one of rebellion and refusing to conform. It works on many levels
    I've been waiting for gays to take note of this in the media.
    Too bad it was a wacky Mormon who made it an issue first.

Posted by: Dw | Feb 21, 2014 9:17:54 PM

18. Grandma needs to renounce her cult and her sisterwives and mysognistic husband and then she can worry about "the gays",

Posted by: Nick | Feb 21, 2014 9:46:30 PM

19. @Betty- I think wife #3 does the cooking, and it's #4 who scrubs the toilets. In a well-regulated Mormon household, it's #5 who's in charge of misinterpreting Disney films in the most paranoid psychotically disordered way possible.

Posted by: Vint | Feb 21, 2014 9:56:04 PM

20. Marriage is a matter for one man and five women wearing magic underpants.

Posted by: deke | Feb 21, 2014 10:41:58 PM

21. More people would become gay if they found out about our magical powers.

Keep quiet old lady!

Posted by: Steve | Feb 21, 2014 10:45:49 PM

22. I'm not sure. She might have a point ..lol! After all, isn't "Frozen" based on Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen"? There's an article about Andersen at the GLBTQ Encyclopedia. Sounds like scholars find something queer in quite a few of his works.

Quote: "Many of the fairy tales may be read as queer allegories, and some are clearly autobiographical. For instance, "The Little Mermaid" was written after a crisis Andersen suffered in 1836 at the marriage of Edvard Collin, who may have been the love of Andersen's life but who refused to play the part of his romantic soulmate."

Posted by: Lexis | Feb 22, 2014 1:17:43 AM

23. He blog is Titles a "Well Behaved Morman Woman"... of COURSE she would have a problem with Elsa's empowerment. Else basically decided to be who she is despite the judgment of her elders and peers - that is not the behavior of a "well behaved" woman. She can't stand the idea that future generations might cast off their uncomfortably confining Morman underwear.

Posted by: fanboi | Feb 22, 2014 2:59:01 AM

24. People like this will see a gay sub-text in anything:

Snow White: the Seven Dwarves are not attracted to Snow White. Enough said.

Goldilocks: Three bears. Sounds like a menage a trois in P'town.

Cinderella: Isn't "Fairy Godmother" a euphemism for a lesbian attraction?

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 22, 2014 5:01:29 AM

25. "I am not anti-gay nor am I here to judge homosexuals..."

"I draw the line at the idea of redefining traditional marriage to include homosexual relationships, as equal."

^^ Delusions of a bigot.