Scottish Parliament Approves Marriage Equality in 105-18 Vote

Scotland

Scotland's parliament has passed marriage equality in a 105-18 vote, the BBC reports:

The Scottish government said the move was the right thing to do but Scotland's two main churches were opposed to it. The first gay and lesbian weddings could take place this autumn.

Religious and belief bodies can "opt in" to perform same-sex marriages.Ministers said no part of the religious community would be forced to hold such ceremonies in churches.

During a debate at Holyrood, MSPs rejected amendments which were said to provide "protection" for groups and individuals opposed to same-sex marriage.

The SNP's John Mason tabled an amendment stating that no-one could be "compelled by any means" to solemnise gay marriage, including by a contract or a legal requirement.

Comments

1. JMC says

Wow! Has there even been such a landslide vote for marriage equality? What took so long if there was this kind of majority support?

Congratulations to everyone in Scotland :)

2. says

WOOT WOOT! not sure if i’ll ever marry, but it’d be lovely to do it in the homeland! if i could marry there, it’d be like doing what my now-passed gay relatives from back home couldn’t.

cheers, uncles joe and harry. you’d have loved this news.

3. Mike Ryan says

This is wonderful and to see such an overwhelming number of politicians voting for equal rights is truly amazing. Congratulations Scotland. You are on my list of places to visit and a country I’m happy to spend my money in.

4. says

Congratulations to all our extended Family in Scotland!
    You truly have done an amazing job when so many of your legislators get LGBT equality and vote accordingly.

Wonder what Mihangel will be writing about this.

5. woody says

that good looking matteo renzi has to get moving in italy. it’s the only country in western europe with no recognition of gay unions. in december, he said he’d push for at least civil unions.

6. peterparker says

“During a debate at Holyrood, MSPs rejected amendments which were said to provide “protection” for groups and individuals opposed to same-sex marriage.

The SNP’s John Mason tabled an amendment stating that no-one could be “compelled by any means” to solemnise gay marriage, including by a contract or a legal requirement.”

What a breath of fresh air–politicians who actually use their brain and vote for fairness as opposed to the knee-jerk hysterics and cynical pandering to the religious community that we find here in the US!!! Can we import some of these Scottish LEADERS to come fill a few vacant seats here?!

7. AJ says

@JMC: South Africas 230 to 41 was a similarly big landslide (of course that was a whipped party vote).

@Woody: Wikipedia doesn’t usually update the maps until the bill becomes law, which doesn’t happen until the Queen assents to it (purely a formality).

8. I'm layla miller i know stuff says

Sophia: The Wise Bride of Solomon, Goddess of Wisdom

Solomon Prays for Wisdom

Wisdom 9:9 Wisdom is with you and knows your actions; she was present when you made the world. She knows what pleases you , what is right and in accordance with your commands.

Wisdom 9:10 Send her from the holy heavens, down from your glorious throne, so that she may work at my side, and I may learn what pleases you.

Wisdom 9:11 She knows and understands everything, and will guide me intelligently in what I do. Her glory will protect me.

Wisdom 9:12 Then I will judge your people fairly, and be worthy of my father’s throne. My actions will be acceptable.

9. Rafael says

Well done Scotland! I was highly impressed by the hearing that took place just a few short months ago. At that time, as religious concerns were recognized, their virtue was questioned and the case for love and the common good was made. Congratulations.

10. TonyJazz says

Good for them. This is very welcome…

Isn’t it odd that the French passed gay marriage, but they look kind of backward with all of those silly protests!!!!??

They seem to have a lot of hateful people there…..