Lambda Literary Foundation | Sex | William S Burroughs

Author Marcus Ewert Dishes On Physical Relationship With Allen Ginsberg And William Burroughs

Ewert_ginsberg

Marcus Ewert — the openly gay, cisgender author whose childrens’ book 10,000 Dresses got him nominated for a Lambda Literary award — recently spoke to Vocativ.com about losing his virginity to Beat poet Allen Ginsberg (pictured with Ewert above) and having an eight-year relationship with "the king of postmodern literature" William Burroughs.

The 43-year-old Ewert told Vocativ about his infatuation with the two men and how he bedded them both when he was 17 and 18 years old:

“Allen and Burroughs were still alive and they were both gay, and in their work it was pretty explicit that they liked teenage boys. Allen has all these poems about sleeping with boys in Naropa, which is where I realized I could go to meet them. So, I was like, Perfect, I know what to do. …Allen and Burroughs teach there? You don’t have to tell me twice.”

After hitting on Ginsberg at a party, the two men dined together and then discussed Ewert’s sexual identity. After classes later on, Ewert returned to Ginsburg’s residence:

… Ewert arrived and was led (by Ginsberg) to the upstairs bedroom. Though he’d fooled around with one or two neighborhood kids when he was 12 or 13, it would be his first “adult” time; this underage boy direct from the Bible Belt was about to lose his virginity to a much older Allen Ginsberg. “I was happy to find that I saw him handsome in a certain light,” he says. “I was never super physically attracted to him, but he’s got this Grecian, bearded Poseidon profile, you know? That’s kind of handsome, I think I can go with that.

Keep reading AFTER THE JUMP...

“Basically he blew me; that was a big part of it. And he was really good at it. He did this thing where he had his hand and his mouth working at the same time, and he’d take time out to explain to me what he was doing....It’s very Allen that he’s always peppering anything he’s saying with little tutorials. But I was totally down for that—it was what I’d signed up for. I wanted the tutorial, I wanted to understand how the f--king world worked. I wanted somebody to help me and mentor me.”

William_burroughsEwert then talks about his desire to bed Burroughs (pictured). He said that when he met Burroughs, he got the feeling that Burroughs was worried that Ewert might reject him:

And Ewert didn’t flee, but rather returned the gesture, putting his hand on Burroughs’ knee and giving it a light squeeze. Even through the thick jeans, the poet’s leg felt bony and frail, which only turned Ewert on more. A skinny young thing himself, the idea that somebody found his frame attractive, even someone 57 years his senior, was an aphrodisiac. “It was like hugging my doppelganger, and that totally turned me on,” he says. They found themselves naked on the bed, engaged in what could be described as chaste, fumbling sex. No kissing, but a sweetness despite the absence of overt affection.

“I don’t think there was any oral at all, I think it was just hand jobs and humping. At one point I felt this little splash of fluid against my leg and, you know, he’d cum, and then I probably jerked myself off and came. And then we’re lying in bed in this post-orgasmic peace and after a while he goes, ‘Ah, that was great. That was the first time this has happened in years,’” Ewert recalls. “And I’m super happy because I had enjoyed it. Also, the little calculating, crusty 18-year-old part of me was excited by the fact that he hadn’t had sex in a long time. He’s already 70-whatever, and I’m guessing he’s not going to have a lot of sex besides me going forward—he’s not going to live that much longer. I was like, That’s awesome, I’ll go down in history as the last person to have had sex with William Burroughs. I don’t know if that’s totally true, but it gives you a sense of my mind-set at that time.”

Ewert also famously appeared shirtless on the cover of Deflowered, the second album by queercore band Pansy Division (below). Ewert is currently working on another children's book called Mummy Cat and a sequel to 10,000 Dresses.

Pansy_division_marcus_ewert

Comments

1. omg. awesome.

Posted by: newsblues | Mar 31, 2014 10:18:47 PM

2. Feeling very stupid right now. I had to look up cisgender and I still don't get it. The word is an oxymoron, right? Someone please explain.

Posted by: Ken | Mar 31, 2014 10:28:24 PM

3. Terrific. Those who can't do those who did.

Posted by: Mike B. | Mar 31, 2014 10:31:05 PM

4. cisgender....???

surely the trans are not going to make us use that now. I mean the default for 99% of the pop is cisgender so there is no need to point that out

Posted by: Homo Genius | Mar 31, 2014 10:39:01 PM

5. Ken, I found this on Wikipedia: "Cisgender and cissexual (often abbreviated to simply cis) describe related types of gender identity where an individual's experience of their own gender matches the sex they were assigned at birth.[1] Sociologists Kristen Schilt and Laurel Westbrook define cisgender as a label for "individuals who have a match between the gender they were assigned at birth, their bodies, and their personal identity" as a complement to transgender.[2]"

Why the word was used in this article, I have have no idea.

Posted by: john patrick | Mar 31, 2014 10:40:40 PM

6. @Ken

Don't feel stupid. The term isn't an oxymoron; it refers to those whose gender identity matches their apparent/biological gender. As such, the 'cis' is merely redudant - but especially so when shoe-horned into an article whose topics don't include transgender issues. It does, however, get people talking about transgender issues. In the right context, it can be a useful prompt for deeper thought. In this instance, it comes off more as attention seeking/axe-grinding.

Posted by: kipp | Mar 31, 2014 10:49:54 PM

7. Don't you mean "openly cisgender"?

What does that mean anyway?

Posted by: Confused But Not About Gender | Mar 31, 2014 10:50:42 PM

8. @Homo Genius You are disgusting and transphobic. I can't wait for history to leave bigots like you in the dust.

Posted by: Nate | Mar 31, 2014 10:51:37 PM

9. A nice gift for all involved

Posted by: Steve | Mar 31, 2014 10:52:34 PM

10. Gee...sure, he was physically very pretty, but, that he was mentally a Star f*cking predator given to detailing his bad sex conquests; is decidedly ugly....no, hideous.

Posted by: booka | Mar 31, 2014 10:57:56 PM

11. Okay... I guess I actually understood the word correctly. It was the fact that it was placed in the article for no legitimate reason that had me confused. I feel as if I'm tiptoeing toward political incorrectness, but, come on, pointing out that someone is comfortable with their birth-gender seems a little extreme.

Posted by: Ken | Mar 31, 2014 11:04:10 PM

12. Csigender is an adjective thats totally not required for this story.

Transgender people are estimated to be less than one percent of the population (the DSM1 IV says 1 in 30 thousand males are transgendered and probably 1 in 100 thousand females) So wouldn't that be like identifying people as two legged or having ten fingers in every story? No one feels the need to say he wasn't struck by lightning or that he hasn't been in a plane crash. Same odds.

Transgender people deserve the same respect as everyone else, but cmon the word csigender is only appropriate in the context of articles about transgender people. The only reason the word csigender appears in this story is that the author learned a new word today or took a women's study course at a community college.

Posted by: BettyBoop | Mar 31, 2014 11:05:04 PM

13. @nate plz. its a word made up by trans on usenet!

But the author did not use the correct pronoun. He should be referred to a cis man

Posted by: Homo Genius | Mar 31, 2014 11:06:07 PM

14. The reason it's mentioned that he is cis is because his book 10,000 Dresses deals with a transgendered kid.

The topic of the kids book wasn't explicitly discussed, but anyone who knew that might wonder.

Posted by: cooley | Mar 31, 2014 11:06:47 PM

15. Oh just stop with the cisgender crap, Villy. We all know you were hired to push your trans status down our "ignorant" gay throats, at least be honest

Posted by: freak | Mar 31, 2014 11:07:59 PM

16. @cooley I think few people would get confused and think burroughs and Ginsberg were into tranny jailbait

Posted by: Homo Genius | Mar 31, 2014 11:12:57 PM

17. "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Posted by: Íñigo Montoya | Mar 31, 2014 11:13:58 PM

18. @COOLEY,

Aha - I read the coverage about 10K Dresses but hand't thought of it. So the cisgender wasn't entirely non-sequiter - just a little shoe-horned.

Posted by: kipp | Mar 31, 2014 11:19:25 PM

19. Wow, so much transphobia from one guy under multiple usernames. How tragic and pathetic.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 31, 2014 11:23:27 PM

20. lmao @ the way he talked about potentially being the last guy to ever have sex with Burroughs, oh my god. He was quite the little star fvcker. Can't say our list of celebrities we'd shamelessly give it up to are at all similar but good for him for getting what he wanted.

Posted by: JMC | Apr 1, 2014 1:26:10 AM

21. Well, I'm glad he got to do what, and who, he wanted.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 1, 2014 1:51:00 AM

22. He should have been identified as "avowed cisgender".

Posted by: Merv | Apr 1, 2014 2:02:18 AM

23. So he had sex with someone 57 years older than him and now he's bragging about it for attention? Pathetic and disgusting.

Posted by: phil | Apr 1, 2014 2:20:11 AM

24. So he had sex with someone 57 years older than him and now he's bragging about it for attention? Pathetic and disgusting.

Posted by: phil | Apr 1, 2014 2:20:12 AM

25. "Confirmed cisgender non-activist...."

Posted by: Word Salad | Apr 1, 2014 2:40:31 AM