Facebook | Gay Stories | Gay Youth | Hate Crime | News

British Man Attacked in Anti-Gay Hate Crime, Posts Story On Facebook

Richard Scott Kennedy, a British student at University of Central Lancaster, was reportedly attacked in an anti-gay hate crime last week. He posted a photo and his story on Facebook:

RichardkennedyHere is my face after a homophobic attack, 4 of my teeth are gone, not fallen out but deep inside my gums and cheek, one is sitting under my cheek inside my gum on the right side bottom of my nose. My face is swollen and it was worse yesterday, both my knees are badly injured and I struggle to walk and my hole face is constantly throbbing and i'm now on 4 tablets a day for pain and infection and may require surgery to sort the damage.

All of this and what was their motive? because of my f--king sexuality. something that doesn't concern ANYONE else minus me and the person I fall for, either man or woman. A sex life is private and has nothing to do with no one, needless to say it's absolutely disgraceful to violently attack someone because of who they are. My confidence has gone, im utterly embarrassed to be seen in public, the only reason I am putting this picture up is because I want you to see me as an example. An example why homophobia is wrong and it's disgusting that it's still around in 2014. Society needs to get a grip, people are who they are, people are different, people are gay, straight, bi, transexual, black, white, asian, fat, skinny, small and tall but regardless of who they are and what they look like they are still human. There is more to people than their sexual preference and what they look like.

This is just another homophobic attack that happens every day, but it needs to stop, this is wrong, this is disgusting and using sexual preference as a motive to be violent and abusive is utter inhumane.

Richard's post has been shared more than 176,000 times since he posted it on February 26.

Comments

1. Sorry. I'm not jumping on this bandwagon unless there is proof. He mentions nothing about the incident. I'm a bit jaded by people posting fake stories about being victims and Facebook is the wrong place to do it.

Posted by: AJ | Mar 4, 2014 6:13:26 PM

2. If what this person is claiming about the alleged incident is true, then he deserves our sympathy.

Posted by: freak | Mar 4, 2014 6:16:59 PM

Posted by: Nathan | Mar 4, 2014 6:17:10 PM

4. I agree with you 100% Richard, my heart aches for you. I hope you have love ones around you to help you heal. My tears are falling because your hurt has touched me so. Be brave, I wish I could hug you and just hold you.

Posted by: terryp | Mar 4, 2014 6:20:23 PM

5. All homophobes need to read this. http://my.psychologytoday.com/files/u47/Henry_et_al.pdf

Posted by: Jaysonn | Mar 4, 2014 6:36:19 PM

6. This is absolutely horrific !
    I feel very sorry this happened to this young man.

As with other shared experiences (eg Billy Jean King) there is no need for anyone to doubt his story.
    He is the one who knows what happened. There is nothing to the contrary.
    @ AJ : WTF are you talking about ?
    "A bandwagon" ?
    We feel deeply for a young man who has suffered. Can't you do the same without the smart alec overlay ?
    Or is that too much to ask ?

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 4, 2014 6:39:45 PM

7. I know it's not the time for levity, but I couldn't help feeling, if the text was lifted from the source, that "hole face" was a funny Freudian slip for a gay boy. Ok, enough.

This is horrible. I am not going to be one who doubts any of these stories just because some turn out to be frauds. I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt to anyone, and pick up the pieces later if that turns out wrong. What harm is there to me if I feel sympathy and horror? None.

Posted by: Zlick | Mar 4, 2014 6:55:50 PM

8. First, it is really disturbing that thugs would hurt any person. To attack Richard while alone is cowardly. To doubt him is even worse. The attack is sickening. And, at 18, Richard should be out having good times. Hold your head high Richard. I hope these thugs get to visit the local Penn.

Posted by: david logan | Mar 4, 2014 6:57:17 PM

9. AJ, his teeth are bashed in. You should consider this and give him the benefit of a doubt about what he says caused it.

Also, being a victim of gay bashings, it's not the easiest thing to put the events into words or a timeline for police, journalists or attorneys. It's f**ing traumatic.

If it turns out to be made up, shame on him. But gay bashings really do happen a lot more than people realize. Even using the FBI's faulty statistics of the UCR Hate Crimes reports shows approximately 4 documented gay bashings per day in the USA.

Posted by: Kev C | Mar 4, 2014 9:44:46 PM

10. Sorry. I'm not jumping on this bandwagon unless there is proof. He mentions nothing about the incident. I'm a bit jaded by people posting fake stories about being victims and Facebook is the wrong place to do it.

POSTED BY: AJ | MAR 4, 2014 6:13:26 PM

Agreed. Too many 'hate crimes' which turned out to be self-inflicted -- or make-up/made-up -- after investigation. Drama queens stay drama queening.

Posted by: Zeta | Mar 5, 2014 2:33:03 AM

11. Seems to be reported in the local press as real - - http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/crime/appeal-after-teen-attacked-for-being-gay-1-6472694

POSTED BY: NATHAN | MAR 4, 2014 6:17:10 PM

Thank you for the link, Nathan. It only repeats the kid's story, though. The cops say "Lancashire Police confirmed they are investigating the incident." and "
“We treat all incidents of this nature very seriously and a further statement is currently being obtained from the victim.”

That's nice, but the young woman who carved a backwards B into her own face also had her incident investigated as well. That doesn't mean anything.

At least say the kid was treated and released from the hospital, or do they not have ambulances and emergency rooms in Old Blighty?

Posted by: Zeta | Mar 5, 2014 2:38:20 AM

12. Seems to be reported in the local press as real - - http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/crime/appeal-after-teen-attacked-for-being-gay-1-6472694

POSTED BY: NATHAN | MAR 4, 2014 6:17:10 PM

Thank you for the link, Nathan. It only repeats the kid's story, though. The 'appeal' in the title isn't about a court case 'appeal' from the alleged perps, though. It's about an 'appeal' for more information. The cops say "Lancashire Police confirmed they are investigating the incident." and "

Posted by: Zeta | Mar 5, 2014 2:39:18 AM

13. Seems to be reported in the local press as real - - http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/crime/appeal-after-teen-attacked-for-being-gay-1-6472694

POSTED BY: NATHAN | MAR 4, 2014 6:17:10 PM

Posted by: Zeta | Mar 5, 2014 2:39:27 AM

14. Well there you go - turns out he's a drunk who couldn't control his liquor and fell on his face, and then speculated that he must have been bashed. What a disservice to REAL victims.

Posted by: Hrm | Mar 12, 2014 9:39:57 AM