Crime | Facebook | News

British Man's Report of Homophobic Attack, Which Went Viral on Facebook, Was a Hoax

Kennedy

A British man who posted a photo to Facebook saying he had been the victim of a homophobic attack was lying, people say. Richard Scott Kennedy's report has since been shared nearly 200,000 times.

The Lancashire Evening Post reports:

He had claimed he suffered verbal abuse after leaving the bar and his only recollection was waking up in the street, covered in blood with a battered face. He was found by friends and taken to hospital.

Detective Inspector Paddy O’Neill said: “We managed to recover some CCTV footage which shows the injured party falling face-first onto the pavement. We have showed him the CCTV and he now accepts his injuries were caused during the fall. Having had oversight of the investigation since its inception and taking into account the full circumstances, I accept his report was made in good faith. The investigation into this matter is indicative of the lengths we will go to when investigating reports of violent crime in the city. We believe assaults, and hate crime assaults in particular, are under-reported in the city for many reasons."

Comments

1. I guess he learned a valuable life lesson. You drink, you get drunk, you fall down, you hit the pavement! It doesn't mean someone assaulted you. It means you assaulted yourself! Dipshit.

Posted by: Jere | Mar 12, 2014 9:16:38 AM

2. These hoax perpetrators do so much damage when it comes to fighting real homophobic violence.

Posted by: Albert | Mar 12, 2014 9:17:34 AM

3. The Detective Inspector said: "I accept his report was made in good faith."

So it's *not* a hoax. Despite the title of this post, it's not.

Posted by: Niek Beaujean | Mar 12, 2014 9:26:07 AM

4. How do we know the pavement wasn't homophobic?

Posted by: crispy | Mar 12, 2014 9:32:38 AM

5. I'm so sick of these hoaxes. Are people really so attention deprived that they need to make a fake victim story? The crazies don't need any help saying we don't experience real discrimination and violence.

Posted by: WOLF | Mar 12, 2014 9:38:27 AM

6. I called it a fake when this news story came out. Anytime someone goes on to a social media website to post about an attack, it is a good sign that they are looking for attention and are faking it.

Posted by: Perry | Mar 12, 2014 9:41:08 AM

7. I don't think the circumstances of this qualify as a "hoax". Hoaxes are lies told to intentionally fool people. It's pretty clear that that's not what happened here. The kid told the truth. He left the bar drunk and the last thing he remembers was walking up a street. Then his friends found him bloody and battered. It wasn't a huge stretch to consider he may have been the victim of a gay bashing.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 12, 2014 9:41:21 AM

8. If anyone would care to look at the comments on the original article, I have been vindicated! I was skeptical from the beginning and I got attacked for it! Anyone who posts this kind of thing on Facebook has got some screws loose. This is the crying selfie taken to the next, most psychotic level. And let me close by saying I TOLD YOU!

Posted by: AJ | Mar 12, 2014 10:01:02 AM

9. Anti-gay hoaxes are so common now that even I, a card carrying gay, look askance when I hear of a new crime. The end result is when there's an actual anti-gay crime victim, they are doubly victimized when they're told they're just making it up for attention.

Posted by: Matt | Mar 12, 2014 10:02:35 AM

10. Yeah, the photogenically bruised selfie should have been our first clue.

Posted by: distinguetraces | Mar 12, 2014 10:11:04 AM

11. Tampa, but that's NOT what he said. Look at the original story. He posted that it WAS an attack, and that it was because he was gay. He didn't leave ANY room for an "I'm just speculating" line now.

Posted by: Hrm | Mar 12, 2014 10:15:05 AM

12. Yes, it was a hoax, because he claimed he was attacked and really didn't have a clue what happened to him. It's a whole new category -- the "self delusional hoax."

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Mar 12, 2014 10:32:13 AM

13. And of course there are people still defending him. Just sad.

Posted by: Perry | Mar 12, 2014 10:42:08 AM

14. Is there some truth to homosexual tendencies being a sort of neurosis...can you imagine a straight guy pretending to be a victim of violence and seeking out attention on social media?...NO. In fact straight men are pressured to suck it up even if they are truly victims of violence.

Posted by: June | Mar 12, 2014 10:53:48 AM

15. All the while real gay victims are being lashed, imprisoned or killed across Africa and other hostile areas of the world.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 12, 2014 10:57:47 AM

16. So, this kid got drunk and did a face plant on the way home and thought it was a beat down. Ok, well honest mistakes get made. Let's see his apology video now. He was quick to publish a victim video let's see him be just as quick to publish a retraction.

Posted by: Sean | Mar 12, 2014 11:04:58 AM

17. Once again -_-

Posted by: Eric | Mar 12, 2014 11:39:11 AM

18. Andy, maybe it's time to STOP REPEATING people's self-reports of being attacked. Too often, they are just liars.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 12, 2014 12:24:01 PM

19. another that a skeptical soul would likely not have repeated. i chose not to publish this because there was too much unsubstantiated angst... and because i have done a face plant or two in my life. kid needs treatment for substance abuse, not a public beat down.

Posted by: bandanajack | Mar 12, 2014 12:43:20 PM

20. Sometimes I think there are more anti-gay people on this site, straight or closeted, than gays.

Clearly some of you need to start looking up words in the dictionary.

In an overwhelmingly, stiflingly homophobic world, if I were to wake up in the street with my face mangled, I would probably think I had been gay-bashed. I've seen enough horrors that my brain might extrapolate and create a composite scenario about what might have happened. Telling the truth as one sees it does not a liar make...

I'm glad he reported what he believed to be a hate-crime. I hope he either gets help, if he needs it, or simply learns not to become SO inebriated anymore...

And to those of you who collect a handful of false positives and apply it to an entire community/group/class of people, we know what you're up to and it isn't going to work.

Posted by: Tuned | Mar 12, 2014 2:33:38 PM

21. Sounds like he was black out drunk and when he woke up with his injuries thought he had been beat up. It seems more like a misunderstanding than a real hoax. Feel bad that he thought the most likely cause of his injuries was a beating.

Posted by: Arkansassy | Mar 12, 2014 2:58:15 PM

22. Just like Justin Bieber's lawyer blames us for his problems, we can blame gay culture for this one.

Posted by: Tim | Mar 12, 2014 3:05:33 PM

23. This wasn't a hoax, nor was he lying. Even the cops say that. He just thought he'd been attacked, but all that happened is he got drunk, tripped and knocked himself out. Calling this a hoax is a disservice, and claiming he's lying is just plain wrong. Perhaps the twerp who wrote this Towleroad post needs to look both words up in the dictionary and remind himself of their actual meaning.

Posted by: Kyle M. Sullivan | Mar 12, 2014 3:15:23 PM

24. I've never had a drunken face plant but I think if I did and woke up on the street by a bar, I wouldn't automatically make the leap to "I must have been gay-bashed!" But that's just me.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 12, 2014 4:09:57 PM

25. It's good to know that this jackass and others on here think there is a homophobe behind every corner

Posted by: Perry | Mar 12, 2014 4:22:00 PM