Chick-fil-A | Dan Cathy | Gay Marriage | News

Chick Fil-A CEO Wants To Put Anti-Gay Controversy Behind Him Though Beliefs Haven't Changed

For over half a decade, the fast food chain Chick Fil-A has donated millions of dollars to anti-gay groups (including ones that want to criminalize and deport gay "pedophiles"). In addition to those funds, the company president Dan Cathy has repeatedly made statements opposing same-sex marriage. However, he would now like to put all that behind him.

Dan_cathyIn an interview with the Atlanta Journal Constitution Cathy said:

"Every leader goes through different phases of maturity, growth and development and it helps by (recognizing) the mistakes that you make," Cathy said. "And you learn from those mistakes. If not, you’re just a fool. I’m thankful that I lived through it and I learned a lot from it." ...

"Probably the elements that were stressful for me most is from our internal staff and from operators and how this may be affecting them. The bottom line is we have a responsibility here to keep the whole of the organization in mind and it has to take precedence over the personal expression and opinion on social issues." ...

"Consumers want to do business with brands that they can interface with, that they can relate with. And it’s probably very wise from our standpoint to make sure that we present our brand in a compelling way that the consumer can relate to."

He’s still against gay marriage though:

I think the time of truths and principles are captured and codified in God’s word and I’m just personally committed to that, [Cathy] said. I know others feel very different from that and I respect their opinion and I hope that they would be respectful of mine.

Let’s take a quick stroll down memory lane and see if Cathy and his cash cow have really moved on to greener pastures…

Keep reading AFTER THE JUMP…

Despite the fact that the Cathy said in early 2011 that the company "would not champion any political agendas on marriage and family," in that same year the group’s anti-gay giving doubled.

In 2012 after Chick Fil-A executives promised to stop supporting anti-gay organizations, Cathy continued to show his support to anti-gay groups, and later stated that the company had never agreed to end its anti-gay funding at all.

Tastes_like_hateCathy also remained a vocal opponent of marriage equality. Most infamously in June of 2012, Cathy said the company was guilty as charged in its support of so-called pro-family and pro-marriage (re: anti-gay) organizations. A month later he told the Baptist Press, "We are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say 'we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’"

Cathy’s anti-gay comments compelled the failed Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee to launch a Chick Fil-A Appreciation Day, during which time the company experienced record profits. Meanwhile the company’s approval ratings plummeted.

After the June 2014 Supreme Court decisions negating Prop 8 and section 3 of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act, Cathy posted and then quickly deleted a tweet that read, "Sad day for our nation; founding fathers would be ashamed of our gen. to abandon wisdom of the ages re: cornerstone of strong societies."

The Atlanta Journal Constitution adds that earlier this month Think Progress reported that:

Chick Fil-A’s foundations — WinShape Foundation and its namesake Chick Fil-A Foundation — "dramatically" cut donations to groups gay marriage supporters consider anti-gay. WinShape sharply decreased grants overall, and the only group the Chick Fil-A Foundation gave money to that is considered by the gay rights community to be anti-gay is the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, which received $25,000.

So Chick Fil-A decreased its anti-gay funding while also decreasing its donations to all other groups. But no word as to whether the chain will still hire and fire employees based on their sinful personal lives.

Comments

1. "I want your money"

Posted by: Scudder | Mar 17, 2014 1:59:09 PM

2. Sorry. No matter how much the CEO grovels and the cash registers don't ring, I personally hope the franchise collapses into the gutter. They won't see a dime out of my pocket.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Mar 17, 2014 2:01:15 PM

3. I'd sooner stick pins in my eyes than eat at a Chick Fil-A

Posted by: Guido | Mar 17, 2014 2:01:18 PM

4. Not ever to be trusted.

Posted by: Joel | Mar 17, 2014 2:04:22 PM

5. Dear Mr. Bigot, I understood the falsehood of "you need to respect my disrespect of you" when I was a child. I understand that for you and your Fox News Types you don't understand nuance and your reading comprehension skills are nil, but that only underlines how pathetically wrong you are.

"I'm a bigot, but I want people to forget about it"

#wont

I will not now, nor will I ever, respect your inherently disrespectful opinion. Because I have a functioning brain and a backbone stronger than yours.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Mar 17, 2014 2:08:43 PM

6. had it once when someone handed my one in montgomery, alabama and said I "had to try it."
    it's very bland.
    white meat on gummy white bread hamburger roll.
    it's like eating nothing.

Posted by: woody | Mar 17, 2014 2:09:52 PM

7. Just choke on one of your sandwiches, already, Baldy.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Mar 17, 2014 2:11:17 PM

8. This is exactly the message Morning Joe Scarborough has been preaching to Republicans for years. "Keep all your homophobic and rightwing social beliefs, but keep your mouth shut about them."

That way, you can get votes (or customer dollars in Mr.Cathy's case) from people whose rights you are fighting against.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Mar 17, 2014 2:11:25 PM

9. Chick Filaceo would be a good drag name.

Posted by: David | Mar 17, 2014 2:12:32 PM

10. Antigay bigotry is not an "opinion".

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 17, 2014 2:18:13 PM

11. He is just afraid that people are eventually going to connect him and his money to the blood of gay people that is now and going to be spilled in the future in Uganda, and Russia, and the other places that he sponsors evangelical preachers. He is afraid that the spilled blood of gay people will be associated with his sandwiches. The spilled blood will not improve the taste of his nasty fried chicken.

Posted by: *****overTX | Mar 17, 2014 2:25:25 PM

12. "Probably the elements that were stressful for me most is from our internal staff and from operators and how this may be affecting them"

No kidding. You mean everyone doesn't believe in some of the garbage you support. The independent franchise operators are caught with a public relations nightmare at the helm of a business they bought into. One can only imagine the avoidable stress THEY have been under.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Mar 17, 2014 2:26:28 PM

13. I have no respect for the opinion of anyone who wants to deny equality to a category of people. Many opinions are undeserving of respect.

Posted by: Fester | Mar 17, 2014 2:31:08 PM

14. Whatever possessed Dan Cathy to make such a mealy mouthed statement when nothing has really changed? He was better off not saying anything. His comments only resurrect the controversy which, frankly, has never died away. I don't know any gay people who will eat at Chick-fil-A.

Cathy claims to be a godly man, but he still has a bigot's heart. This is not just a difference of opinion. Through his funding of religious hate groups he has actively worked against our civil rights.

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Mar 17, 2014 2:34:25 PM

15. Still not sorry. Still talking about it. Still a bigot.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Mar 17, 2014 2:42:41 PM

16. Go die a horrible and painful death ya bigot. Your crap food and your idiot employees do not deserve a dime from me.

Posted by: mike1969 | Mar 17, 2014 2:51:25 PM

17. Chick-fil-a's donations to anti-gay organizations dropped by 99.2%. Although donations may have dropped across the bored, I sincerely doubt their overall donations dropped by that much in 2012. We need to keep an eye on the tax documents for at least the next few years.

A few things that are also worth noting:

- Boycotts *do* work. What has happened at Chick-fil-a shows it. The boycott initially started once word got out where CFA's donations were going.
    - Dan Cathy and CFA desperately want the "anti-gay" label they fairly earned to be removed. Despite the fact that this gave them record breaking sales in 2012, they know that this is not good for long term business. If they hope to be successful in other regions outside of the Bible Belt, they can't maintain this label... Obviously, they came to this realization after the boycott.

As a side note, I guess I should say that I am not encouraging people to start eating there again, but rather that it is worthwhile to speak with your wallets and boycott.

Posted by: Evan C | Mar 17, 2014 2:58:31 PM

18. Every item they sell puts money in his pocket. That money will still be donated to extremist bigot groups.

I still won't eat there.

Posted by: Gregory In Seattle | Mar 17, 2014 3:29:31 PM

19. Death to Chick-Fil-A.

Posted by: Håkon | Mar 17, 2014 3:40:11 PM

20. He needs to put the controversy -inside him- not behind him, but he is free to use his behind if he wishes. Like the graffiti says: Tastes Like Hate! We got a brand new Chick-Fil-A in our city and the result is that it is doing poorly because I live in a major college town and the kids know the score.

Posted by: BrokebackBob | Mar 17, 2014 3:41:40 PM

21. Their anti-gay stance will haunt them until they close down. It'll happen in the next decade, trust me.

Posted by: Sergio | Mar 17, 2014 3:42:04 PM

22. I will not respect a viewpoint that is bigoted, no matter how it's justified.

And if I want a cheap fast-food chicken sandwich, I'll go someplace else.

Posted by: The Milkman | Mar 17, 2014 4:54:30 PM

23. Funny never heard of these chicks and ducks before reading the news here. Probably this is a southern phenomenon.

Posted by: simon | Mar 17, 2014 5:20:53 PM

24. Also, this is the guy who went of Fox News to say that he preferred to hire married people as managers. Single people were more likely to leave.

Message clear: get people trapped in a crummy job because they have to support a family.

Posted by: Joel | Mar 17, 2014 5:42:11 PM

25. You know what would be great and save us time on all the I'm-not-a-homophobe Homophobic double talk?
    If Barilla and Chick Fil-A merged together you know what you would get?

A BarFil-A.

To be more specific, and non-discriminatory, it would be a BarFil-A conglomerate. Limp noodle meets dastardly craven, ehr chicken.

Posted by: MarcusIT | Mar 17, 2014 6:48:25 PM