Discrimination | New York | News | St. Patrick's Day

Ford Stands by Anti-Gay NYC St. Pat's Day Parade as Heineken Drops Out, Guinness is Silent

HeinekenUnder pressure from activists and GLAAD, Heineken has pulled its sponsorship of the New York City St. Patrick's Day Parade, GLAAD reports:

A company official at Heineken has confirmed to GLAAD that the company will no longer be a sponsor of Monday's parade, saying "we are passionate about equality for all people."

Ford Motor Company has decided that it is okay with LGBT families and organizations being denied permission to take part in the annual event, once again.

FordFord released a statement to CNBC:

"Ford Motor Company is involved in a wide range of events and organizations in communities across the country and around the world, including long-standing participation in this parade. No one person, group or event reflects Ford's views on every issue. What we can tell you is that Ford is proud of its inclusive policies. Every member of the Ford team is valued, and we provide employee benefits regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation. "

GuinnessMeanwhile, GLAAD says it continues to reach out to Guinness, which is now the only beer sponsor left on the NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade site. They have not heard anything from the brewing company.

Yesterday, the Boston Beer Company said that it was pulling its brand Sam Adams from the South Boston St. Patrick's Day Parade for its refusal to allow gay groups to march.

Comments

1. This whole tradition is anachronistic, for the 20 years I've lived in this area, I wonder why anyone with good taste participates in this at all. When I worked in midtown last, I always though - If I were Irish, I'd be really upset these idiots are using me and my culture as an excuse to be passed out against the curb on 6th Ave.

Posted by: Nathan | Mar 15, 2014 11:47:42 AM

2. Sent this via Guinness website:

To Whom It May Concern,

As a longtime supporter of GLBT fight for full equality, I am disheartened to learn that you will continue to sponsor the New York City St. Patrick’s Day parade even though the organization has refused entry to GLBT people and organizations to march and participate in their annual event. I love Guinness but I cannot in good conscience continue to purchase your product knowing your company supports hate, intolerance, and inequality because of your continued support of the organization and people that put on this annual event.

I ask that you announce immediately that you will no longer support and sponsor St. Patrick’s Day events until such time as those organizations are inclusive to all citizens.

Thank you for your attention to this important issue.

Posted by: Paul B. | Mar 15, 2014 12:05:34 PM

3. What do you expect from a company that was started by an extreme racist?

Posted by: Austin | Mar 15, 2014 12:17:11 PM

4. I’m still waiting to see openly gay groups marching in NYC Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, or the NYC Columbus Day, Puerto Rican Day, West Indian Day, Pulaski Day, Steuben Day, parades etc.

It does seem a bit strange that it is only the St Patrick’s Day parade where it is so important to have openly gay groups marching. Let’s have gay representation in ALL NYC parades—not just some

Posted by: Kieran | Mar 15, 2014 12:43:53 PM

5. At least Steuben himself was gay, but then again, St.Patrick was probably a closet-case priest.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Mar 15, 2014 1:04:40 PM

6. I was literally just going to buy Guinness.

Instead, it'll be green cocktails this year.

Posted by: Randy | Mar 15, 2014 2:14:51 PM

7. I don't even get the point in St. Patrick's Day it's basically white pride day.

Posted by: Derrick | Mar 15, 2014 2:22:31 PM

8. @Derrick, your ignorance about being Irish is akin to the organisers', your President has Irish roots, show some respect, educate yourself. And have a Happy St Paddys!

Posted by: aindreas | Mar 15, 2014 5:28:40 PM

9. The crazy thing is I've been on a car search and my father was guilt tripping me to buy American (I've been been driving a Honda for the past 10 years) to the point where I was going to listen to him and get a Ford instead.

Now I can but a different car guilt free. Say goodbye to my ~25k Ford.

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 15, 2014 5:54:09 PM

10. I pray that Ford quietly puts pressure on the organizers to catch up with the rest of the civilized world. Ford has been a friend of our community, and they should threaten to discontinue their support if discrimination is continued.

And Boston's organizers are the most hateful of all of them! Why is this bigotry allowed to be paraded on our public streets?

Posted by: TonyJazz | Mar 15, 2014 6:20:36 PM

11. Henry Ford the company's founder was also a big anti-Semite.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Mar 15, 2014 6:43:14 PM

12. I hope to live in a time where gay rights activists learn that not everything is about us...

Posted by: Vera | Mar 15, 2014 9:29:10 PM

13. @Nathan....don't talk foolish. Manhattan's St Patrick's Day parade (on 5TH---not 6TH Ave!) is one of the most famous annual spectaculars that NY has to offer. For color, it's size, the sights and sounds there is no other parade that can compare to it. To try to besmirch the parade by bringing up the few who overindulge and embarrass themselves is as bigoted as those who would besmirch all gays because of the few who overindulge and embarrass themselves at the Gay Pride parade.

Posted by: Chaz | Mar 15, 2014 10:00:38 PM

14. Well, I am about to buy a new car. I have been very interested in the Ford Fusion since I started looking - I also like the Acura ILX, Lexus CT200h and the new Mazda 3 looks really nice on the inside. I guess I wont be getting a Fusion - and not because of any defects of the car itself, but because its company supports bigotry. Sucks for them.

Posted by: Drew Murray | Mar 17, 2014 9:12:48 AM