HIV Testing Counselor Sells ‘Truvada Whore’ Shirts For AIDS Charity

Truvada_whore_2

Adam Zebowski, an HIV test counselor at the San Francisco AIDS Foundation, is selling #TruvadaWhore t-shirts at a Kickstarter-style site to help meet his AIDS/Lifecycle fundraising goal of $3000.

The term "Truvada whore" refers to the disparaging label given to men who take pre-exposure prophylactic drugs like Truvada to protect themselves from HIV; the idea being that people who Truvada are whores who just want to have condomless sex without the consequence of HIV.

On his t-shirt site, Zebowski says:

Be proud, you #TruvadaWhore. I support the #reappropriation of derogatory terms. I am against slut-shaming. I am pro health and wellness. I think PrEP is a great HIV prevention tool if it works for you. I am a #TruvadaWhore. $3.40 of each shirt will be donated on my behalf to my AIDS/Lifecycle fundraising goal of $3000.

The AIDS/Lifecycle is a 7-day, 545-mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles to raise money and awareness in the fight against HIV/AIDS.

Previous Towleroad coverage of PrEP can be found hereherehere, and here

(via Joe.My.God.)

Comments

1. andy says

He is first and foremost an attention whore. I thought people didn’t even know what PrEP was? Now enough people know it’s brand name to make it a thing to call people on it? Yeah right. The whole “truvada whore” bit is only used by people trying to act victimized. People are not calling anyone that. How would anyone even know if you’re on it?

2. Pablo says

I don’t know, seems more like an attempt at that old and necessary in your face attitude in regards to the rights movement. Is that the case today? Like what are you even fighting for? It’s not like it can be even argued that taking a prescription is some kind of a status like being gay or being positive is. Seems like someone is trying to be an activist just for the sake of it.

3. Mike B. says

The argument “against” PrEP is similar to the argument for abstinence: “there’s only one correct way to combat STDs”. And there are people who are making that kind of argument, so I can see where he’s coming from.

Personally, I think the more tools are available, the better. No one is really going to change human behavior, so we need to encourage however much protection folks are willing to use.

4. Douglas says

#TrizivirWhore
    #VidexWhore
    #ViramuneWhore
    #VireadWhore
    #ZeritWhore
    #ZiagenWhore

Did I miss anything? There’s so much to be proud of!

5. JMC says

This has to be the dumbest possible way for someone to donate money to an HIV related cause. This is so narcissistic and insulting. HIV+ people are stigmatized.. not people taking HIV prevention drugs, wtf.

6. joeyhegele says

A whore is someone who gets paid for sex. These folks are just plain ol’ barebackers. Why glamorize it with a misleading t-shirt that doubles as free promotion for the billion dollar pharma biz?

7. Jeff says

It’s insane. You’ve got this way of living that involves an assembly line of sex partners – people you don’t know, who don’t love you and who don’t care about you. And after a decade or so, that way of life eats away mental and physical health. While a few may thrive in a loveless environment, it does not work for the vast majority of people of any sexual orientation and there’s a few thousand articles in med journals that you can look at on PubMed that will tell you that.

Yet you’ve got these dead-enders who just will not stop. Now they think that if they take Truvada, that’s the answer. It isn’t.

8. Fartbongo says

But hey….become a TruvadaWhore and you can “potentially” avoid HIV. Never mind all those other pesky STD’s like: herpes, genital/anal warts, chlamydia, gonnorhea (which is becoming drug resistant), syphillis. GO FOR IT! Take as many dicks as you want without a condom.

9. Cake says

JEFF – You’re still clinging to the archaic notion that in order to be of any worth, you have to be in a relationship. There are those of use who are just fine being single and having casual sex. There’s nothing wrong with either way of living. You can’t trust anyone, not even somebody who “cares about you” who skips town on weekends to go to the bathhouses or goes on “business trips” under your nose and brings back a case of chlamydia.

10. Robotron says

Safe sex all the way. BB’ing is asking to get some nasty STD’s. And in some people do DIE !!! For sex? No thank you. I’ll pass. And I do have a wonderful,healthy relationship with a fantastic husband (who is cooking dinner as I type this). I got off the empty,endless,vapid,shallow sex wagon years ago. And I’m hiv- and will stay that way…

11. JMC says

Oh please, there’s nothing wrong with having a ton of sex with a ton of people if you play safe. It’s so absurd to say that being single eats away at your physical and mental health or that people uninterested in a long term relationship are vapid and shallow lol get a grip!

12. OrwellIsDead says

How does anybody know what medications you’re taking unless you tell them you’re taking them? Is your doctor a gossip? Let’s just get the sequence of events clear here: if someone’s calling you a whore for taking this medication, it’s only because you’ve bragged about taking it first. So cut it with the fake self pity. And geez, EAT SOMETHING! Guys this skinny make me nervous.

13. FakeOutrage says

Sorry but San Fran queens are the LAST ones I would look to for advice about sex and promiscuity…basically do the opposite of what they do…

14. rjrh says

Good idea, the shirt and hashtags. Sure some may think Prep is controversial but hey, as testers who go though sexual history we KNOW people, gay/bi men are not using condoms all the time. This is one more tool to stop HIV

15. #CondomNazi says

I hope you got paid for advertising this bland, unoriginal, pandering crap. No one is calling people truvada whores but the people who actually care about gay men’s health are being called condom nazis by these barebackers who have ulterior motives for promoting PrEP. Most of them are already poz so the PrEP ship has sailed.

16. says

Take a look at 3 things:

google: seldane ketoconazole

Read them, understand them, and then perhaps the idea of what the likes of the FDA and CDC consider “safe” may change your mind about taking a very powerful drug every day vs. wearing a condom, which last I knew, has no side effects, nor any latent long term health issues (unless perhaps you are allergic to latex?).

17. Don says

Can I get a tee shirt that says “Truvada Crippled Me” ? Truvada nearly killed me. This drug killed 50% of the muscle in my quads and upper back! Truvada caused my mitochondrial to elongate over 100 times then normal with multiple branches. They were so long they folded over on itself. This drug is toxic! This side effect is permanent.