Jim Parsons | Kate McKinnon | News

'Johnny Weir' Joins 'Ellen DeGeneres' for Pre-Oscar Show on SNL: VIDEO

Weir_ellen

In SNL's cold open, guest host Jim Parsons took on Johnny Weir's colorful plumage for a guest appearance on Kate McKinnon's Ellen ahead of tonight's Oscars.

Check it out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I watched a couple minutes of this. What a waste of Jim Parsons' talent.

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Mar 2, 2014 10:28:44 AM

2. I felt bad for Jim Parsons. The episode was not very funny at all. (Bright spot: The new Weekend Update co-host has an adorable smile.)

Posted by: bravo | Mar 2, 2014 10:29:56 AM

3. Blah. What a waste of time.

Posted by: MattL | Mar 2, 2014 10:41:18 AM

4. Ah yes, good old Saturday Night Live, doing what they do best----mocking gay people.

Posted by: Danny | Mar 2, 2014 11:40:47 AM

5. Johnny Weir is the worst kind of person. OF COURSE the mainstream media has now anointed him the media gay.

SNL is total corn anyway

Posted by: Manroar | Mar 2, 2014 11:41:12 AM

6. Why does it seem like every one has suddenly forgotten that he is a money grubbing turncoat??!!

Posted by: WOLF | Mar 2, 2014 11:47:50 AM

7. I realize that deriding SNL has become an American tradition, but this episode wasn't as awful as many. The secret is to watch it with a DVR so that you can skip commercials, cringeworthy skits, and most musical acts. Or better: don't watch it.

Also=, anyone defending Weir or his sartorial decisionmaking needs to think twice. How exactly is he the media gay? I've seen him mocked or even mentioned by the mainstream media next to never in the past couple years aside from (very) passing reference to his Olympics gig. I'd guess that 98% of the time I see his name, it's on this site. He deserves every bit of ridicule sent his way.

The new news guy reminds me a LOT of Amy Poehler's BF on Parks & Recreation. Kind of weird how as the new guy he delivered the bulk of the news items. His co-host was barely there.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 2, 2014 12:05:29 PM

8. @Wolf, I haven't forgotten, but i do see things differently now and feel I may have rushed to condemn Weir too quickly. There is a lot about him that still bothers me, and I don't think I'd enjoy knowing him personally, but the fact that he very well might have been the best commentator atbthe whole Olympics...most knowledgeable, most chemistry with his partner, knew when to talk and when to shut up, went a long way to earn my respect. He didn't just make it a showcase for his brand of ego. And the fact that he did it while being unapologetically gay and flamboyant on the air and on the streets of Sochi (so much that athletes and tourists wanted their pictures with him everywhere he went...and the disgrintled Russian police and Cossacks could do nothing about it, made its own kind of statement in a way I hadn't considered. Both the Olympics and Weir helped me see Russia, the country, as a tragic victim to it's ruling class and despotic leader...but still a country with a tremendous cultural value and historical contribution to the arts. I came away from the games HATING Putin and the leadership more, but rooting for Russia and Russians to win in the course of history over this disgusting legacy of hate and intolerance. I went into all of this black and white re: Weir, the Olympics, and Russia and now see things as more nuanced. I can appreciate what Weir DID do while wanting him to have done more and I appreciate any increase in gay visibiliy and gay achievement and Weir's excellent performance did increase both in places an increase was sorely needed. so mixed feelings, but no longer feel he is a money grubbing turncoat just because he didn't do what I wanted him to do. and I am now glad he didn't.

Posted by: BreckRoyMcAlester | Mar 2, 2014 12:07:30 PM

9. @ Danny - so you believe the two gay people in the skit are also mocking gay people?

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 2, 2014 12:13:27 PM

10. I recorded to play this morning, sorry but entire show was flat. Couple skits with Jim appeared either he was not 'prepared' or he was embarrassed with the skit...I fast forwarded continuously feeling I did not miss anything or lost 15-mtes of my life...

Posted by: RichB in PS | Mar 2, 2014 12:39:10 PM

11. This could and should have been much much better. Parsons should have dressed in a Russian military uniform, Johnny Weir style of course with full makeup, eye lashes, pretty girl jewelry, and the skit should have centered around Weirs devotion and dedication to shirtless Leader Putin and his own Russian husband who shares an uncanny resemblance to the younger Putin. The mock Weir should have announced his renouncement of his American citizenship to become a full fledged Russian gay citizen with shots of Weir in bondage, bloodied and Cossack whip marks. Now THAT would have been funny!

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Mar 2, 2014 12:41:06 PM

12. BTW, the woman doing Ellen was far overused in this episode. She seemed to appear in every skit and, as Ellen, she wasn't funny at all - just annoying. She didn't sound or look like Ellen even though she's been on Ellen's show and did a much better impression during that appearance. The new news anchor, I read, is the guy who formerly wrote the news bits for Seth Meyers. Good looking, yes, young, yes, but seriously, he wasn't that funny and took more joy laughing at his own jokes then the jokes themselves being funny.

I love Jim Parsons and wish he would have exercised more control of the skits and the show itself. And the band, Beck - WTF? They were God-awful - so awful that I zipped through them. This was not one of SNL's better shows.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Mar 2, 2014 12:46:52 PM

13. Anyone believing Johnny Qweir Quisling is NOT mainstream media's latest Gay Stepin Fetchit must have been in a coma the last month. I just Googled his name and "fabulous" and got 207,000 hits.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Mar 2, 2014 1:02:17 PM

14. All these dolts who watch SNL hoping that it will suddenly become funny all of a sudden remind me of Linus sitting in the pumpkin patch.

Posted by: Lee | Mar 2, 2014 1:05:49 PM

15. @Michael Bedwell
    - I just Googled "diarrhea" and "fabulous" and got 9,970,000 hits. What's your point?

Posted by: brennigans | Mar 2, 2014 2:44:54 PM

16. SNL is homophobic. Towleroad is enabling SNL.

Posted by: roger | Mar 2, 2014 2:58:41 PM

17. Colin Jost was awful....did they hold an open audition at a mall??....

Posted by: styler | Mar 2, 2014 3:51:53 PM

18. Colin Jost was awful....did they hold an open audition at a mall??....

Posted by: styler | Mar 2, 2014 3:51:53 PM

19. Was that suppose to be funny? Truly cringe worthy

Posted by: jarago | Mar 2, 2014 5:20:38 PM

20. "All these dolts who watch SNL hoping that it will suddenly become funny all of a sudden remind me of Linus sitting in the pumpkin patch.

Posted by: Lee | Mar 2, 2014 1:05:49 PM"

There's no point to actually watching the broadcast anymore. The funny bits (and there hardly were any in this episode, besides Jebidiah Atkinson) always end up online. I do think there are still some brilliantly funny skits on SNL, like the Miley/GOP "We Did Stop - the Government", and "Downton Abbey on SpikeTV" of a couple years ago.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Mar 2, 2014 6:25:36 PM

21. "SNL is homophobic."

I don't know. When they make fun of Chris Christie, do we say they are being heterophobic, or fatophobic? When they make fun of hip-hop are they being racist?

Posted by: EchtKultig | Mar 2, 2014 6:27:38 PM

22. I imagine every comment left on Towleroad is from some meth addicted old homeless gay troll who gets free internet access at the shelter and gets to put out all his frustration with his different aliases

Posted by: dy | Mar 2, 2014 7:18:48 PM

23. That 5 minute and 38 second clip was 5 minutes and 38 seconds too long.

Posted by: Andy | Mar 2, 2014 8:09:21 PM

24. OK, that bit could have been better. At least it was a gay guy doing a gay guy.

Probably a lot of you hated Stefon. Did you see the finale where he married Seth Myers? Hate that too? Straight guy doing a gay guy. I thought it was always hilarious.

Colin Jost on the fake news was cute but didn't do anything. Maybe he will get some direction and figure it out. But the guests on the news - the Shack guy and critic Jebidiah Atkinson - were hilarious. The 1860's (seems more Colonial era) critic character is just an off the wall concept that always works.

Not the best SNL, but they have always been uneven.

You can also watch it online the next day and skip stuff you don't want to watch. You have to watch the same stupid commercial over and over with some mother character going on about how she really killed with her 19.95 family dinner from KFC. Seriously. The American mother can't even stop at the supermarket or Trader Joe's once a week and load up on frozen entrees? A vegetable free high carb high fat if you pick the usual fried chicken meal is the bomb?

Re Beck: He is a critically acclaimed sort of intellectual/arty pop musician and singer. He looks like he's 20 but has been around for a long time. For some reason his vocal sound was sort of like it was out of phase or something. Like echo but sounding like he was in a bathroom and facing the other way. Don't know if he wanted that or it was a mistake, but it was that way for both songs.

Often the musical guests are either really bad or really lame, but that's pop music today. Sometimes they have some alt band that's OK.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 2, 2014 10:49:00 PM

25. Worst SNL in a long time. Totally wasted the talents of Jim Parsons. Beck was the best thing about it and even that wasn't worth sitting through 90 minutes of flat and unfunny sketches.

Posted by: ThomT | Mar 3, 2014 9:18:35 AM