Michele Bachmann Unhappy Jan Brewer Vetoed Arizona’s Anti-Gay Bill

Bachmann

In an interview with Yahoo's The Fine Print, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) expressed disappointment that Jan Brewer vetoed SB 1062, the anti-gay 'religious freedom' bill.

Said Bachmann:  “I believe that tolerance is a two-way street, and we need to respect everyone's rights, including the rights of people who have sincerely held religious beliefs,…Religious liberties and the protection of our religious liberties is right…Right now, there's a terrible intolerance afoot in the United States, and it's against people who hold sincerely held religious beliefs.”

Watch the interview here.

Comments

1. says

Does Bachmann really want the government to establish regulations regarding whether a religious belief is sincere or not.

Example: To be sincere the believer must attend two church services a month, tithe 10 percent to a religious charity, and be on a first name basis with a religious leader. etc.

2. Ryan says

An intolerance of people with deeply-held religious beliefs? Please show me one example of a Christian in this country who’s been attacked and beaten walking out of their church. Show me one example of a Christian kid being harassed and bullied and called “Bible thumper!” at his high school to the point that he’s suicidal. Show me one example of a Christian couple who wasn’t allowed to get married or adopt a child because they believe in god.

If there’s one thing, other than intolerance, that Christians are good at, it’s being completely ignorant of the facts.

I wonder what Bachmann had to say about that mosque that was being built near ground zero? How much did the deeply-held religious beliefs of those people matter to her at the time? Don’t answer that — I probably already know the answer.

I think it’s time we fed some good Christians to lions again. Let’s start with her.

3. lou says

“We’re so sorry! This video is not available in your location.”

Now that makes a ton of sense for a global internet company such as Yahoo.
    Dumb Dora

4. simon says

“The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it.”

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sincerely held religious belief could be just BS.

5. SpaceCadet says

What if it were my religious belief that women should not speak in public or can’t be served in an establishment without being accompanied by a man? Would she defend that? She’s the pits.

6. dommyluc says

“Rep. Bachmann’s husband, Marcus Bachmann, was unable to express his own views on the matter, owing to the fact he couldn’t get the cock out of his mouth before airtime.

7. CPT_Doom says

@Ryan – and how appropriate is it that this story is right above the one about the poor man being beaten unconscious for being gay. Pathetic victimhood versus real-world results of hate.

8. says

‘Tolerance is a two way street.’

Was this what you argued for the past two decades while trying to oppress LGBT families? Was that tolerance? Cause it sure felt like good old fashioned hatred to me. Legislation to deny police, and doctor, & emergency assistance to anyone you perceive as different? Sponsored by the same hate groups now spreading their venom across Africa.

Go to Uganda & Nigeria and tell them about how tolerance is a two way street. Asswipe.

9. rjinva says

People can have “sincerely held religious beliefs” – what MB fails to see as a distinction is these people cannot use these to violate the civil rights of others by refusing to serve them or in any other way impose their religious beleifs on others. If you want to believe any of these myths, no problem – if you want to bring them into public discourse to deny others their civil rights then there is a huge problem. Sadly, MB will never see the distinction.

10. Randy says

“sincerely held religious beliefs”

I agree with Kieran. This phrase is just an attempt to sound worthy of special privilege.

But it’s not really redundant. It’s a way to disparage any opposition, by embedding in the public consciousness the idea that THEY are the sincere ones.

The implication is that everyone else is insincere, and not deserving of equal treatment.

11. pdxblueyes says

I can’t believe this woman. Living in a Christian Gay Marriage herself, and still spewing her hate in the name of Christianity. Hers are the views that keep many from associations with ANY religious groups – Persiod.

12. Craig says

The problem is, as many pundits pointed out, it is still legal to refuse services to people based on their sexuality in Arizona. The law that got vetoed merely reinforced the existing “religious freedom” law already on the books.

13. Geoff says

A day when Michele Bachmann is unhappy (about anything) is a very good day, indeed. May her internal vagina monologues be written in Arabic…and performed to an empty theater.

14. Dan Cobb says

Yes, tolerance is a TWO way street. And you need to tolerate my religious beliefs if I am to tolerate your “lifestyle”. My religious beliefs include “stoning gay people to death” (Leviticus). When Michelle and her community seem to believe that gay people should tolerate whatever indignity, whatever mode of execution, or whatever punishment HER religion has in mind for gay people. Hell, if a gay person were to flee a mob of Christians hell-bent on stoning a gay person to death, Michelle Bachmann would be complaining, “there he goes again, not tolerating my religion”!! And Michelle, if you believe that Christians would never do any such thing, you’re naive… and you’re assuming that the religions of others in this country –including Muslims and Sharia law– wouldn’t want to stone gays to death either. Sorry Michelle, but requiring others to tolerate your religion is a recipe for falling back into the dark ages… and a primitive society.

15. Hey Darlin' says

“I believe that tolerance is a two-way street, and we need to respect everyone’s rights, including the rights of people who have sincerely held religious beliefs”

Are we really speaking of tolerance? When have Christians not been tolerated in America?

Being allowed to write scripture into law is another matter.

If you so crave respect, lead by example.

16. Paul B. says

Oh, she wants tolerance now! I could think of so many distasteful names for this thing but I’ll rise above it. It’s hard though.
    I love to watch her and her ilk get familiar with feeling intolerance…if that’s what she chooses to call it. Come on Michelle…it’s been on our shoulders for many years and now you get to see how it feels. It didn’t take you long to buckle.

17. Paul B. says

18. Bob says

So, maybe she should be discussing the constituent in her state who recently had his jaw kicked to pieces and had boot marks left all over him rather than SB1062. I would think that would be a little more fitting considering she resides over Minnesota and not Arizona. (insert explicative here)

19. Ready says

Who decides whose religious beliefs are sincere and whose are just bigotry and hatred masquerading as religious beliefs?

Someone says that his or her sincerely held religious belief is that God cursed Ham and all his descendants to be slaves (which would be all dark skinned people) for seeing his father naked and not covering him. Therefore I cannot serve black people at my lunch counter because the black race is to serve whites not the other way around.

Or if I say I believe that all women are to be subservient to men and a policewoman tries to give me a ticket, she must respect my religious belief that she cannot have any authority over me.

Pass a law like this and see what chaos is like.

20. JJ says

There’s nothing special about “sincerely held.” It’s the lowest possible standard of belief. If a belief is less than sincerely held, we don’t even call it a belief. It’s just a hunch or an inkling or a suspicion at that point.

I think the point of the term “sincerely held” is to try to puff up unsubstantiated beliefs to seem deserving of the same respect (or more) that we give beliefs that are demonstrably true.

@RANDY, @KIERAN was pointing out that “people who HOLD sincerely HELD religious beliefs” is redundant. It reveals a little of how her mind works: not thinking, just stringing together catch phrases.

21. Bernie says

yeah, Ms. Bachmann is asking for everyone’s respect! She is one of the most virulent, fervent and rabid right wing legislator on the female side, so the only thing she spouts is for the religious right……and she is a moron to boot

22. Chrislam says

And I’m sure that the Christians who beat up the gay man outside of the gay bar unconscious was just exercising his freedom of religion…right Bachman?

I call BS.

23. Chrislam says

I call BS.

24. Jude says

All of us commenting on an article about that subhuman, and everyone else who gets riled up by her, is why people still interview her. We all need to make a pact and stop commenting about her…otherwise it will never end!

25. Retro says

Funny how that two-way street works (or doesn’t), ‘cuz if she followed her own religion, she’d be at home with her mouth shut: “I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.” (1 Timothy 2:12)

26. Rob says

When gays can live fulfilling lives in the eyes of everyone, even religious wing nuts, her gay husband will be out the door, and she will be a lonely single harpy. Can’t wait to see him sashay away.

27. Bill says

Yeah Michelle sweetie, that “terrible intolerance” against religious bigots is just awful isn’t it.
    Truly, this is the most irrelevant, hateful and ignorant woman in America.