News: Ben Cohen, Karl Lagerfeld, Johnny Weir, Tom Cruise

RoadGeorgia Voice art director and cartoonist Mike Ritter dies at 48 of heart condition.

TrainhubRoadVertical train hub among winning entries in eVolo 2014 skyscraper competition.

TRoadom Cruise bangs.

RoadThe BBC wonders if gay bars are still necessary: "The idea of a singular identity is very new. In 16th Century England there was a subculture loosely relating to the theatre. Men didn't identify as specifically gay. Things happened in the context of a sexualized, risque environment and being queer was a part of a more general underground culture."

RoadTMZ: Johnny Weir has crying fit over Fabergé egg.

RoadMichelangelo Signorile faces off with Scott Lively.

RoadLOGO responds to anger over RuPaul "she-male" challenge: "When pressed on the issue by BuzzFeed, a Logo TV spokesman would neither confirm nor deny whether it will cease using such terms in future programming. The spokesman was only able to provide the existing statements from the network and the show’s producers at World of Wonder. "

RoadDustin Lance Black fixes Tom Daley's hair while riding an escalator.

RoadLISTEN: Adam Lambert and Chris Colfer cover "Rockstar".

BuildingRoadGiant camera is a two-story building in Korea.

RoadKarl Lagerfeld hates selfies: "They are this horrible thing where you are distorted. The chin is too big, the head is too small. No, this is electronic masturbation."

RoadMichele Rodriguez and Cara Delevingne canoodle in Miami.

RoadBaptist preacher says gays are the pawns of Satan: “We do need to pray for our enemies, those that oppose us, because they’re victims. Our enemy is the Devil, our enemy is that old lion that walks about seeking whom he may devour and who is the god of this age and the prince of the power of the air and he has these people in their thrall.”

RoadOut US soccer star Abby Wambach talks with USA Today: "The way it all kind of came out and happened was kind of comical. You know me, I'm not that kind of person that cares to unveil all of my personal things to the world because frankly, in terms of my soccer, it doesn't matter."

RoadThe Magic Mike sequel will be called Magic Mike XXL.

RoadLorde: Celebrities have zits too.

PappRoadCoast Guard Commandant Adm. Robert Papp: Obama told us to accept repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' or step down.

RoadKiev's gay activists in bind: "Committed to creating a society more accepting of homosexuality, they fear that raising the specter of gay rights, particularly at this politically sensitive moment, gives Moscow an easy propaganda hand to play."

RoadBen Cohen's Stand Up Foundation issues 50th grant: “We are absolutely thrilled to have reached this important milestone so quickly in our history,” said Ben Cohen, MBE, founder and chairman of the Foundation. “Our mission is to raise awareness of the long-term, damaging effects of bullying, and to fund those doing real-world work to stop it. I feel like we are making real progress, thanks to those who support our work.”

RoadLGBT housing non-discrimination bill killed by Louisiana lawmakers: "Much of the debate around Brossett's bill hinged on a property owners' rights to deny housing to anyone they believe would jeopardize the 'safety' and 'family' oriented-nature of their community."

Comments

1. Lagerfeld looks horrible in any type of photograph, much less a selfie. And now, so does Tom Cruise.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 1, 2014 3:39:29 PM

2. Dear GOD please stop giving Johnny Weird any more air time.

Posted by: Raybob | Apr 1, 2014 3:48:26 PM

3. Karl Lagerfeld hates selfies: "They are this horrible thing where you are distorted. The chin is too big, the head is too small. No, this is electronic masturbation." What does that mean?

Posted by: Ted | Apr 1, 2014 4:01:09 PM

4. "Coast Guard Commandant Adm. Robert Papp: Obama told us to accept repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' or step down."

As Commander in Chief, President Obama was absolutely right to assert himself. The military is subservient to the elected civilian authority in the United States. If Admiral Papp has any issues with that, he should review the history of General MacArthur's behavior and his dismissal by President Truman.

Posted by: Hank | Apr 1, 2014 4:05:31 PM

5. Gay bars will be needed for a long time, especially outside large cities and in the overwhelming share of countries lacking equal rights for gays. I have zero problem socializing with straights, and in fact do so in most of my social life. But I don't do online hookups, so if I'm going to a bar to flirt or more, I don't want to have to wonder if the guy I'm talking to is gay. Lots of SF gay bars have become popular with straights, and I always seem to end up talking to some cute guy for an hour or two in what seems like a gay chat---only to learn that everyone is gay today, except when it comes to the sex part.

Though to be fair, weird things happen at straight bars too, and my gaydar is terrible. And I've often (unintentionally) led women to think I'm straight...It would be a lot simpler if everyone just wrote G, L, B, S, or whatever on their hand. (Some friends and I once hosted a huge party where doing so was required to enter, and it was fascinating to see how deeply it threatened a huge number of people, to the point where they left instead.)

Pictures of LDB touching Daley's hair? Really? Though I'm more shocked that Lagerfeld managed to give an interview where he sounds almost human.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 1, 2014 5:02:24 PM

6. If you are in the military you must follow orders. As Commander in Chief, Obama had a right to tell them to follow orders.

Posted by: Jaysonn | Apr 1, 2014 5:02:52 PM

7. Karl, the selfie is the most legitimate photography, because it involves only the subject-photographer. It's usually posed, but rarely staged, and rarely photoshopped (by the subject-photographer anyway). It's a communication: this is me, or look what I can do, or even just life sucks.

The proximity of the lens to the subject-photographer treats the human frame as architecture, gives it a 3D quality (you call it "distorted") instead of flat, and enhances its grandeur. This not some mere thing. It's a human, a thinking being, wonderful. Of course, I don't expect a ... what do you do? ... to understand.

I've been taking selfies for decades, but back in the day of film, manual focus, and F-stops, my "self" was often my shadow or my feet.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 1, 2014 6:28:03 PM

8. Yes, there is still a need for Gay bars and other kinds of Gay establishments. The persistence of the idea that such a thing as "queer" human beings exists is one of the reasons why. There are large pockets of acceptance now, but most of the world (and even most of North America) is still unrepentantly heterosexist and transphobic. Unfortunately, the current Gay Rights movement, if you can legitimately call it that, is dominated by a hipster clique that thinks persecution for gender expression is a thing of the past. Believe me, it isn't!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Apr 1, 2014 6:32:42 PM

9. K Lagerfeld gets it right....

Posted by: styler | Apr 1, 2014 8:30:35 PM

10. If you read the article re: ADM Papp, he is just relating Obama's position at the time. Personally, he agreed with the repeal and thus had no such dilemma. He was merely explaining to Coast Guard cadets how to deal with lawful orders you don't agree with and used that choice: get on board or get out, as an example. But he was not an opponent.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Apr 1, 2014 11:51:32 PM