Fred Phelps | News | Religion | Westboro Baptist Church

Satanist Leader Promises to Turn Fred Phelps Gay in Posthumous 'Pink Mass' Ceremony

Lucien_greavesLucien Greaves (pictured with horns at center) — the leader of the New York-based Satanic Temple which held a "pink mass" over the grave of Westboro Baptist Church leader Fred Phelps' mother to turn her "gay for all eternity” — has promised to do the same to Fred Phelps, the founder of the infamous "God Hates Fags" church, once he dies.

In a statement to VICE Magazine, Greaves stated that he hopes that Phelps “lingers long enough to savour the full terror that must consume a mind as superstitious and bitterly haunted as his… abandoned by the only people he personally shared his spiteful and depraved sense of mission with.” Greaves then explained his plans to turn Phelps posthumously gay:

“At the time [that I turned Fred’s mother gay], I predicted that Fred hadn’t too much longer till he would pass, and I stated – in a direct tweet to the WBC – that I would be presiding over Fred’s own Pink Mass before too long. As I have made a promise to a dying man, I fully intend to do my very best to see it through, and the pomp and circumstance of this Pink Mass will surely far, far exceed that of the original event in Meridian, Mississippi.”

You may recall that Greaves also proposed and raised funds to erect a Satanic monument alongside the Ten Commandments monument on the Oklahoma capitol lawn.

Comments

1. Hail Satan. He's a lot more fun than that dreary c**t Jesus.

Posted by: MaryM | Mar 18, 2014 7:52:57 PM

2. OMG please let this happen, let it be effective and let it be known. Let Satan's own staff be the scepter that anoints Phelps through the back door with sulpherous stench and unholy pleasure.

Call it Sent to Sodom - the story of Fred Pheps, here, there and forever. The must see documentary - proceeds to the grieving families of children who have committed suicide over gay bullying.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 18, 2014 8:11:41 PM

3. Hilarious...

Posted by: Robert M. | Mar 18, 2014 8:11:53 PM

4. This is like the most likable cult ever lol they're such trolls

Posted by: JMC | Mar 18, 2014 8:12:25 PM

5. While there is some irony in picketing the funeral of this bigot, it's also stooping down to the hatemonger's very low level. I think we should show we are better than that. Better to not even pay attention to it.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 18, 2014 8:17:25 PM

6. Stupid and not necessary. Anyone who thinks this is funny is totes moronic.

Posted by: Dicky | Mar 18, 2014 8:19:42 PM

7. LOVE this guy! :-)

Posted by: Rahu | Mar 18, 2014 8:34:03 PM

8. Too late.

Posted by: Ben in Oakland | Mar 18, 2014 8:46:28 PM

9. Dearest Spacecadet,

Saying that this Satanic leader is stooping down to Fred Phelps' level tells me you don't know very much about Fred Phelps' history...

Don't you know that the just-dont-look method only works in the cartoons??

Come back to earth, Spacecadet, come back to earth.

Yours ever,

Posted by: OldFriend | Mar 18, 2014 9:05:52 PM

10. Yes this is all very amusing but I would rather not have gays associate with Satan.

Posted by: jarago | Mar 18, 2014 9:23:55 PM

11. I'm not a Satanist, but I am fully behind this.

Posted by: Bravo | Mar 18, 2014 9:55:30 PM

12. Dearest Oldfriend,

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I am aware of what Fred Phelps and is clan do and it is vile. That is why, and I guess I have to reiterate so you get it, that I believe in being better than them and not stooping to their very low level. If you want to go protest his funeral, by all means do so.

Kindly,

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 18, 2014 10:56:33 PM

13. This is great!

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 19, 2014 8:17:55 AM

14. On first thought, the proposed "graveside conversion of Phelps into a gay man" seems clever and ironic; but on reflection, the Satanist's plan is clearly absurd and stenchworthy. Phelps is a monster; but so is Satan. Better to keep a safe distance from either of them. Bigotry, disrespect and hatred, which are at the center of Phelp's so-called religion, cannot be mitigated or atoned for by equal amounts of disrespect, bigotry and hatred. B. Harwood

Posted by: Bernard Drabeck | Mar 19, 2014 9:05:12 AM

15. You just know that some right wing loons will see this as proof that homosexuality is satanic and people can be "turned" gay. Satire is lost on simple minded literalists like Fischer and the Phelps cult.

Posted by: Ready | Mar 19, 2014 9:22:20 AM

16. I'd call that poetic justice. None of these religions have any basis in reality, and the WBC has proven itself so entrenched in absurd superstition, it would not surprise me this might drive them over and beyond the edge.

Like the Mormonic Church have taken it upon itself to forcefully convert posthumous many of the Jewish faith, including all victims of the Holocaust (wish I was kidding here, but it happened), why not have satan officially claim the WBC patriarch. It's silly fun, and it is a flat-out manipulation of all the weak-minded stupid enough take any of it seriously.

The best of weapons against heretic superstition and bigotry is still Comedy. Hope the mass gets posted somewhere... Maybe on the WBC website.

Posted by: MarcusIT | Mar 19, 2014 10:08:28 AM

17. Now that's one hell of a psychodrama!

Posted by: St.Eve | Mar 19, 2014 10:14:21 AM

18. I'm fine to stand on my own on this: I find this story abhorrent. A man is dying and we should damn well be big enough to show him the respect and human dignity we demand for ourselves. We should especially because they never extended the same decency.

There is no solace in revenge. There is nothing constructive about this. This is base and rude. I am sad and disappointed that anyone would cheer for this.

If you would like to do something constructive, give a donation to at risk gay youth in his name.

Posted by: CAM | Mar 19, 2014 11:28:28 AM

19. @SpaceCadet : it would be kind of funny as a scene in a John Waters film, or to joke about it, but I certainly wouldn't participate or encourage it.

It's probably a group of out-of-work actors: you have to be an actor to pull that off while not laughing at the absurdity. Think slapstick complete with pies in the face.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 19, 2014 11:41:07 AM

20. I dont agree with some of the commenters here. It may be stooping to their level but I really think they need to know how it feels to have a loved ones funeral picketed. Lets see if they like it...give um hell ha ha

Posted by: hotbeef | Mar 19, 2014 11:41:30 AM

21. @Hotbeef, I agree a tad with your emotion. There is more though to this then simply paying back an abuser who had made laife hell for many: Looking back at LGBT history, I fail to see how taking the high road, and staying clear from taking challenges head on got us where we are today.

The truth of the matter is, LGBT Community was able through comedy, sass, and in-your-face attitude fight prejudice and make a place for itself within the accepted general population, without having to hide or be segregated: "We're here, we're queer, get used it" were fighting words that forced bigots into HAVING TO consider our existence not only as Human Right, but alos on equal ground!

Posted by: MarcusIT | Mar 19, 2014 1:23:05 PM

22. This probably should be considered some sort of performance art.

Posted by: anon | Mar 19, 2014 1:42:06 PM

23. I'm in. Where can I send a donation for this important cause?

The only issue is that we are assuming Fred is not a big old bottom in the first place.

Posted by: mike1969 | Mar 20, 2014 7:25:29 AM