News | Texas | Transgender

Selena Tribute Event Tells Transgender Performer to Get Lost: VIDEO

Honey_andrews

Corpus Christi transwoman Honey Andrews was recently told that she could not perform at a Texas event commemorating the Tejano star Selena because “Nobody wants to see a male person dress up like a girl.”

Andrews has performed at the annual commemoration for the past three years and was planning on doing the same this year until she received the above message from event coordinator, Mario Gomez.

”I had to read it like three times to so I could even get it through. You know?” Andrews told her local CBS affiliate. “I am over here trying to do something good. Do something for Selena. I am sure she would not approve of [discriminatory messages] like that.”

Gomez has since backpeddled (while continuing to mis-gender Andrews) telling CBS news, “I was just uh letting him know that people were complaining to me that you know that they didn't want to see someone dressed up as a female. A male dressed up as a female singing.”

Even though Gomez has since invited to perform at his event, Andrews has declined, saying she has plans to perform elsewhere.

Watch the KZTV report, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "Even though Gomez has since invited (?) to perform at his event,"

Please proofread

Posted by: elwoodl | Mar 18, 2014 10:52:01 AM

2. *backpedaled

Posted by: HERMES | Mar 18, 2014 11:47:30 AM

3. Good for them! Trannies tend to be anti-gay and have a serious problem with misogyny. Turning them away is like turning away Tea Party members - a progressive act.

Posted by: Nadia | Mar 18, 2014 1:20:29 PM

4. @Nadia, got any proof that trans folk are mostly anti-gay?

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Mar 18, 2014 1:55:27 PM

5. Nadia,

Thanks for injecting your bigotry into the comments section. It's always good to see transphobia because it provides proof how far we have to go.

Posted by: Vlad | Mar 18, 2014 1:56:05 PM

6. The irony is that a disproportionate number of transgenders have a mental state that is closer to that of Selena's killer than to Selena. Envious, resentful, enraged, unbalanced, and potentially violent.

Great post on Reddit recently by a transgender raging about how seeing a beautiful "cis" girl is a "trigger" that causes fantasies of violence or rape against the "cis" girl. The cis girl doesn't do or say anything wrong. The idea is that "this cis girl is happy and beautiful and looks like a woman and I don't, so I want to either absorb her womanhood by forcing her to have sex with me or damage her and bring her down to my level." Sick as hell, IMO.

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 18, 2014 3:20:25 PM

7. @Andrew: Ah yes, obviously if one person who claims to be trans in an anonymous forum says something terrible, then it's pretty clear that, by extension, all trans folks are insane and dangerous. Well idealogued.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Mar 18, 2014 3:42:13 PM

8. The irony is that a disproportionate number of transgenders have a mental state that is closer to that of Selena's killer than to Selena. Envious, resentful, enraged, unbalanced, and potentially violent.

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 18, 2014 3:54:29 PM

9. Dr Donna,

It is an illustration of a mentality. And the thread drew a lot of comments from transgenders agreeing with the original poster. Not one transgender said "WTF are you talking about? How dare you fantasize about working out your issues by harming a girl? That's wrong." Not one transgender had any sense of morality.

The problem, in addition to a lack of moral character, is that when y'all look in the mirror, you cringe and then you take it out on real women. That gets to one part of the transgender community's sexism problem.

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 18, 2014 4:01:17 PM

10. @Andrew: can you link to the thread? Forgive me, but given your editorializing I'm not sure that the original thread played out quite the way you've paraphrased it here.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Mar 18, 2014 4:36:39 PM

11. Hi, THEDRDONNA,

The person using the posting name "Andrew" may or may not be the actual ANDREW. I don't believe that the Andrew who has been so supportive of President Obama would make such ugly and vile comments here. But it's very confusing on the blog now.

I've met some very kind-hearted Transfolk in my life and I've met a few mean-hearted ones. I've met many kind-hearted Gay and Straight folks in my life and I've met some mean-hearted ones. Need I say more?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 18, 2014 5:00:38 PM

12. She looks like a woman...so I don't understand the issue.

Posted by: jarago | Mar 18, 2014 5:46:24 PM

13. Um, I did vote for Obama. Twice. And I did so proudly.

Kind-hearted progressive people oppose violence. They stand with women when they are being threatened. So my vote for Obama is 100 percent in sync with speaking out against sexism and violence by transgenders. No special pass for anyone when it comes to sexism and violence against women. As a man, you should be ashamed of yourself Derrick.

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 18, 2014 6:47:29 PM

14. Hi Derrick. Sadly, many self-styled progressives still hold a lot of ingrained biases when it comes to trans folks. I'm just curious if he can give something more compelling than "I heard these folks say this one thing, in a place I don't care to link to".

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Mar 18, 2014 6:53:46 PM

15. This article is near unreadable, please proofread and re-edit Mr. Villarreal.

Posted by: Critifur | Mar 18, 2014 7:25:39 PM

16. Discrimination against transgenders is plainly wrong. There are many people who still think homosexuality is a mental disorder. Andrew, it is you who should be ashamed of yourself. You need to take a good long hard look at yourself and ask why it is okay to discriminate against an entire class of people. Shame on you indeed.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 18, 2014 8:44:10 PM

17. I was and still am a big Selena fan and in watching that short clip, Honey Andrews does a nice job portraying her: the look, the dance moves, the outfit etc. I would love to watch Honey perform at a Selena tribute and I'm sure most others would too including Selena if she were alive today...Just because a few bad apples don't like her doesn't speak for the entire crowd. Selena had a HUGE gay following.

Posted by: romaine | Mar 18, 2014 11:30:41 PM