Josh Appelbaum | Music | Music Recommendations | Occupy the Disco

The OXD Mirror: A Return of The Greats, New Music From Hercules and Love Affair and Todd Terry

OXD_TheOXDMirror_030614

BY OCCUPY THE DISCO / JOSH APPELBAUM

As history has always showed us, GLBT people have always been the ones to set the trends in music, followed furiously by the rest after the impact of our music is felt on the world.

Hercules and Love Affair - 'Do You Feel The Same'

Hercules and Love Affair, the queer collective started by Andy Butler, effectively rendered electro dead with the revival of disco in their 2008 hit single, ‘Blind’, featuring Antony Hegarty.  The success of this single and the group’s first album helped to bring disco back in a new and serious way to electronic producers and bands.  Over time, the group has featured out artists like Nomi Ruiz, Shaun J Wright, Kele Okereke, Kim Ann Foxman, in addition to Hegarty and of course Butler himself.  The group is back for their follow-up to 2011’s Blue Songs, called Feast of the Broken Heart, out on April 14th, with ‘Do You Feel The Same’ as the lead single.  The pulsing jam is rife with the great beats and sleek vocals, this time courtesy of HALA’s touring vocalist Gustaph.

More new music AFTER THE JUMP...

While on the subject of influential people in music, Todd Terry is a name that’s familiar to most house music fans and easily one of the most celebrated DJs  around the world.  The living legend delivers a new single with a familiar feel on Southern Fried Records, ‘Feel The Sun’.  You may recognize the vocal sample of ‘Love On Top’ by the equally-legendary Beyonce, layered on top of an old school thumping house backing.  Check out the full-length video and song here.

On a similar house music note, Aden is dropping a new EP called Four on March 17th.  I honestly couldn’t tell you much about the artist(s), because they’re purposely shrouded in mystery and unidentified by the label, but I can tell you that the lead single ‘Part of Me’ is a sophisticated, layered dance track that’s worth its weight in gold.

Producer and DJ Toddla T, who I first became acclimated with from his remix of Roisin Murphy’s ‘You Know Me Better’, is releasing his Acid EP on Defected Records on May 5th.  ‘Phoney’ is a chic, simple album cut from Acid that has showcases vocals by Shola Ama and is a nice departure from the hard sounds Toddla T is usually known for.

Rounding out this week’s picks is a lower-key deep house track by Admin called ‘Slick Back’ that’s perfect for unwinding after listening to my energetic selections from this week.

The OXD Mirror is a weekly music column brought to you by the boys of OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD), a New York City based collective created by three music lovers, Ru Bhatt, Josh Appelbaum, and Tad Haes, who want to share their love for disco, house and dance music with the world.

OCCUPY THE DISCO (OXD) curates and recommends music events to the gay community in NYC—in an effort to move the focus of the nightlife scene beyond the promoter and venue and to the music itself. OXD's goal is to educate, entertain, engage and empower the gay audience to reclaim their ability to question and experience the unknown. The OXD Mirror will serve to showcase tunes that are definitely off-the-beaten-path but rightfully deserve the attention of the gay ear.

Be sure to check out these tracks and more on our Spotify Playlist. For more information on OXD, check out our website and accompanying blog at www.occupythedisco.com, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter: @OccupyTheDisco.

Comments

1. This is dull pots and pans musique. What happened to creativity?

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Mar 6, 2014 12:29:41 PM

2. What happened to using real instruments to create music rather than a computer? Are all musicians these days that lazy?

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Mar 6, 2014 1:25:40 PM

3. Not that it's a bad thing, but when did it become "GLBT," and not "LGBT"?

Posted by: Ernest1960 | Mar 6, 2014 1:48:05 PM

4. @SEAN These people are still using real instruments. You might find this short video helpful: http://vimeo.com/48530791

Posted by: Tad | Mar 6, 2014 2:30:03 PM

5. @SEAN These people are still using real instruments. You might find this short video helpful: http://vimeo.com/48530791

Posted by: Tad | Mar 6, 2014 2:32:44 PM

6. @SEAN These people are still using real instruments. You might find this short video helpful: http://vimeo.com/48530791

Posted by: Tad | Mar 6, 2014 2:32:49 PM

7. Smoking is not sexy. It's gross. It's 2014. Why is any artist marketing himself with a picture that shows him smoking?

Posted by: James | Mar 6, 2014 3:45:50 PM

8. Agree with James, he's a hot ginge, but the smoking thing totally ruins it.

Posted by: johnny | Mar 6, 2014 4:43:44 PM

9. Maybe Andy is smoking some coke laced maryjane.

Posted by: snork | Mar 6, 2014 5:57:25 PM

10. It's not at all true, but when I listen to this I begin to think no one is able to invent any pop music that is in any way new and not just a complete poor copy of what was created a long time ago. Particularly when people rave about it.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 7, 2014 2:43:55 AM

11. It's not at all true, but when I listen to this I begin to think no one is able to invent any pop music that is in any way new and not just a complete poor copy of what was created a long time ago. Particularly when people rave about it.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 7, 2014 2:43:56 AM

12. There are a lot of good arguments pro and con about LGBT use, or just saying gay. I thought they were argued at length here. I also thought I went on at great length that if you are going to go with the letters, it's LGBT and nothing else for multiple reasons.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 7, 2014 2:47:40 AM

13. There are a lot of good arguments pro and con about LGBT use, or just saying gay. I thought they were argued at length here. I also thought I went on at great length that if you are going to go with the letters, it's LGBT and nothing else for multiple reasons.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 7, 2014 2:47:51 AM

14. There are a lot of good arguments pro and con about LGBT use, or just saying gay. I thought they were argued at length here. I also thought I went on at great length that if you are going to go with the letters, it's LGBT and nothing else for multiple reasons.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 7, 2014 2:47:52 AM

15. There are a lot of good arguments pro and con about LGBT use, or just saying gay. I thought they were argued at length here. I also thought I went on at great length that if you are going to go with the letters, it's LGBT and nothing else for multiple reasons.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 7, 2014 2:47:53 AM

16. There are a lot of good arguments pro and con about LGBT use, or just saying gay. I thought they were argued at length here. I also thought I went on at great length that if you are going to go with the letters, it's LGBT and nothing else for multiple reasons.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 7, 2014 2:47:53 AM

17. There are a lot of good arguments pro and con about LGBT use, or just saying gay. I thought they were argued at length here. I also thought I went on at great length that if you are going to go with the letters, it's LGBT and nothing else for multiple reasons.

Posted by: emjayay | Mar 7, 2014 2:47:53 AM