Foxes | Music | Music Video | News | Pharrell

The Saddest Version of Pharrell's 'Happy' Ever Recorded: VIDEO

Foxes

British singer-songwriter Foxes recently appeared in the BCC Radio 1 Live Lounge and brought to it a melancholy mash-up of Pharrell's "Happy" and Massive Attack's "Teardrop".

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What's the point? I gonged it after 1:53...

Let's make melancholy with Happy Birthday, shall we?

How about "Battle Hymn of the Republic" as a death metal, or disco number?

This group is seeking attention by taking a very catchy song interpreted through dance by over 400 people over 24 hours.

Listening to the lead singer caterwaul for 4 minutes...uh, no.

Ugh.

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 7, 2014 11:34:58 AM

2. That style of singing is sort of "retro" now, isn't it? It sounds like self-indulgent folk singing from about 14 years ago.

Posted by: woodroad34d | Mar 7, 2014 11:45:30 AM

3. Loves me some massive attack. Sweet.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 7, 2014 11:54:32 AM

4. Love it

Posted by: Chuy | Mar 7, 2014 12:06:49 PM

5. Y'all are just sad you aren't singers and have to sit in a cubicle every day... Oh what if!?

Posted by: Cody | Mar 7, 2014 12:49:26 PM

6. This version is way more enjoyable.

Posted by: John | Mar 7, 2014 1:32:14 PM

7. The first part of the song is amazing, way better than the original wich is a nice feel good song (that becomes annoying after it becomes such big hit and you have to hear it every five minutes).

Teardrops is a fantastic song

Posted by: jjose712 | Mar 7, 2014 2:49:39 PM

8. Kevin: The singer is not looking anything, it's totally normal for the artist on bbc radio one live lounge playing a version of a song they like.
    Months ago Kings of Leon version of Robyn's Dancing on my own.

And Foxes is quite popular in UK, and she had a top 10 hit on billboard last year with her colaboration with Zedd (Clarity was pretty big last year)

Posted by: jjose712 | Mar 7, 2014 2:59:23 PM

9. Actually rather interesting. She's got a good instrument. Gotta improve the look. Tacking the Massive Attack bit on the end was sort of useless, she didn't sing on the original, did she?

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Mar 7, 2014 3:06:03 PM

10. I really don't have the words to express how deeply I feel about this song. She has an amazing voice, beyond her years. And I feel almost a sense of Deja Vu' when watching this young girl sing. She reminds me so much of Amy Winehouse, and I say that with the most Love and Respect for both of these women as Artists. Thank You. Xo's

Posted by: AnthonyR | Mar 7, 2014 5:00:18 PM

11. I was all ready to love it when it was described as "the saddest version of Pharrell's 'Happy' ever recorded"...but her voice is thin and reedy...not pleasant to listen to in my opinion.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 7, 2014 5:50:35 PM

12. @Eric
    Have you seen this mashup on Massive Attack's Angel?

The Endless Night: A Valentine to Film Noir.

One of my favorites.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Mar 7, 2014 7:15:14 PM

13. I'm not seeing it. She appears to have no emotional connection to the lyrics whatsoever. Not a great voice either. Butchered the song.

Posted by: GioNYC | Mar 7, 2014 7:16:04 PM