Connecticut | News | Transgender

16-Year-Old Trans Girl Put In CT Prison Without Being Charged Speaks Out

A 16-year-old, transgender Connecticut teenager who was transferred out of the Department of Children and Families and put into adult prison without being charged with a crime has written in her own defense.

CtFirst, some backgrounding:

[The Department of Children and Families] said that it could no longer care for the transgender girl, claiming that she had a history of assaulting staff members. DCF officials referred to a a statute which hasn’t been used in 14 years that allows the transfer when there is no other option for a treatment program. It is the first time in 20 years that the statute was used against a ward of the state.

In an op-ed column written by the teenager under the name Jane Doe, she said:

I have been involved with DCF since I was a little kid. There were lots of problems in my family, and DCF got involved to help me. Over the years, I've had many DCF workers. Some really tried to help me. Others did it for the paycheck. I admit that I have acted out and got into fights, many DCF kids fight with staff and other kids. I am not saying it was OK, but I have a lot of stuff built up inside me and don't know how to deal with it at times. They tell me that trauma changes people and makes them act out. Believe me, it does…

Forget what DCF said, I didn't blind anyone or break their jaw. DCF said a lot of things to make me look like a monster. Just think about how you would look if your worst enemy wrote down every bad thing you ever did and on top of that made things up. [Department of Children and Families Commissioner Joette Katz] wouldn't come to court to explain why she said untrue things about me. She showed up on the last day and wouldn't even look at me. The other people from DCF who came to court said really nice things about me...

Now, I am sitting in a room at the end of a hallway in the psych ward at York Correctional Institution. I'm in my room 22 hours a day with a guard staring at me — even when I shower and go to the bathroom. It's humiliating. Women constantly scream and cry and it was hard to sleep. They moved me down a different hallway where it's not as crazy. I tell myself that this is just a nightmare, but it doesn't end. I know that I need to work on my issues and I want to, but this is not the place. I am afraid of the women here. I don't want to be around them. They yell comments to me and make fun of me when they see me.

According to Al Jazeera news, the teen will be evaluated and possibly sent to a youth facility for men under the age of 21, depending on the evaluation's findings. They also report that "advocates and supporters of the transgender teen used the hashtag #RethinkMalloy (on Twitter) to discuss the story."

Comments

1. That statute needs to be exercised more often.

Posted by: Carmelo | Apr 25, 2014 7:16:27 PM

2. Great to see sane people fighting against the disease of transsexual propaganda

Posted by: litper | Apr 25, 2014 7:29:26 PM

3. It's insane that we can't care for our children in a better, more humane way. The incarceration in an adult psychiatric facility will not help her in any way, and adds no value to our society.

Posted by: Topol | Apr 25, 2014 8:30:54 PM

4. This is exactly everything that's wrong in our country: the childhood-to-prison pipeline for poor youth, especially those who are disadvantaged minorities. The misgendering and mistreatment of our gigantic incarcerated population. The unconstitutional detention of someone who hasn't been found guilty of any crimes, which happens all too often when someone isn't straight, white, and wealthy. And, of course, the pathetic sad sacks who come into these sorts of news stories and actually applaud these kinds of gross failures because they don't like a certain kind of person. Disgusting.

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Apr 25, 2014 8:53:48 PM

5. Although the teen is transgender, she also remains, physiologically, a 16 year old (sometimes violent) male who was confined in a correctional facility for girls. That this was unworkable isn't unbelievable. Her transfer is to an adult *female* facility. Clearly the system is respecting her gender identity, at least.

Posted by: kipp | Apr 25, 2014 10:15:45 PM

6. The nerve of Connecticut! Dealing with her in a lawful manner in order to protect the staff from assault! How transphobic of Connecticut to deprive this transgender of access to human punching bags. How is she supposed to learn how to become a good trans activist if she can't pummel "cis scum" into a bloody pulp?

I hope Lambda Legal or the Task Force get right on this! They used to be gay civil rights organizations, but now they have been transformed into "LGBT" groups, so a case like this, which has nothing to do with gay people, is right up their alley. Maybe they can argue that all laws that don't get used in 14 years automatically expire, like a canned good.

Posted by: Andrew | Apr 25, 2014 11:18:47 PM

7. I think plain and simple a 16 year-old should not be in an adult prison without being charged with a crime.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Apr 26, 2014 12:09:28 AM

8. Given the way the law is written, she should be happy she is in a prison. Most states at that age [16 is an adult in most states] would dump her onto the streets and wait till she commits a crime [highly likely] and end up in prison anyway.

A sad truth but a truth none-the-less.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 26, 2014 12:27:46 AM

9. I have little compassion for someone who assaults others, that the family has problems is no excuse for this behavior and as someone else already stated, the state is doing what it can to protect those who have been caring for this teen and sometimes the options, not always to the teens liking, are limited.

Posted by: lk | Apr 26, 2014 7:28:00 AM

10. One wonders how different these comments would be if we changed the word trans to gay.

Posted by: Ben M | Apr 26, 2014 8:14:05 AM

11. Trans, gay or otherwise:

If you commit crimes, you go to jail. They've tried to deal with this teen the best way the system can, given her issues and the fact that she's trans. She pushed the lines of acceptable behavior and now she's paying the price. No, the system isn't perfect, but at least they're recognizing her gender and she's not with the general prison population which would tear her to shreds and/or turn her into a worse criminal than she's already trying to be.

Posted by: johnny | Apr 26, 2014 9:15:08 AM

12. Are many of the comments above written by the same person? The CT law is probably unconstitutional given that you can't create 'status' crimes for permanent incarceration. Not charging someone is a deft bureaucratic move, but doesn't actually change the fact of incarceration. He/She needs a good lawyer.

Posted by: anon | Apr 26, 2014 11:05:44 AM

13. As anon pointed out,she hasn't been charged with any crimes. So, Johnny, LK, Andrew, and Kipp, you're all basing assumptions about her behavior on claims that were apparently so tenuous they could bother to actually even bring charges, much less convict. So tell me again, why is it okay for this girl to be sent to prison without, in the eyes of the law, committing any crimes?

Posted by: Thedrdonna | Apr 26, 2014 11:18:16 AM

14. Ben M, nothing. This site is really, really sanctimonious.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 26, 2014 2:27:37 PM

15. Poor girl.

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 26, 2014 2:35:16 PM

16. Looks like the tranny brigade has come out to defend their latest criminal.

First it was CeCe McDonald, who stabbed a man to death and then lied to police. That killer has become a big tranny hero.

Then there was the "transwoman" who cut "her" wife's head off and demanded that the taxpayers pay for "her" electrolysis.

Then it was Kryzie King, who tortured a 4-year old boy to death.

Then it was a tranny serial killer who claims that "she" should be let go because the murders were committed by her former male self.

And there was the Twitter executive who was just arrested for sexually assaulting "her" wife.

This is the pantheon of trans heroes and now they are preparing to admit this violent delinquent as well. This thug physically attacked people and put them in fear. But read the comments from trannies above. IS there one single word of concern or compassion for the victims of this violence? No way. Not a word. The victims are nothing more than "cis scum" and thus are entitled to no sympathy.

There is something fundamentally morally wrong with the "trans community."

Posted by: William Beck | Apr 26, 2014 3:06:02 PM

17. take solace - the anti-trans "Commenters" are just one sick-in-the-head gay man who would do the world a big fat favor by chugging a bottle of bleach.

what happened to this 16 year old girl is WRONG.

the criminal justice system is wrong. rich white kid mows down 4 folks while driving drunk? send him to Camp Affluenza, where he can think about his misdeed by riding horses. rich white man rapes his own three year old daughter? no jail for him, he's too precious!
    but...UH OH...a TRANS TEEN?? LOCK HER UP! for shame.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Apr 26, 2014 3:29:29 PM

18. He was so violent that they had no other option but to move him. He committed assault TEN TIMES in a very short period of time, biting, kicking, stabbing with a fork, etc. He's obviously seriously dangerous - don't let yourself be hoodwinked by his "I'm this poor, misunderstood little transgender girl". He's a violent sociopath, too violent to have around smaller, weaker young females or female staff in a juvenile facility for females. He needs to stop attacking people and if he won't then putting him in isolation with time to really reflect on his future may be a blessing for him.

Posted by: Susan B Journey | Apr 26, 2014 3:39:56 PM

19. jailing without trial, conviction, and sentencing is wrong. violently attacking those responsible for your care because you have untreated or unresolved issues is wrong. here we are.

the dcf manager who made the decision to transfer a 16yo into the prison system as the easiest and cheapest solution to get a difficult ward off their hands, legal or not, should be fired immediately - they are too inexperienced, lazy, busy, untrained, or unconcerned to do their job effectively.

if the situation was as bad as the documentation suggests, an experienced doctor and appropriate medications as part of medical treatment could have just as easily helped both - the 16yo, and the staff that was scared to death to be near a violent sociopath. i'm sorry proper medical care is expensive, time consuming, and inconvenient - that doesn't mean you get to throw anyone who's a hassle into prison. do. your. jobs.

Posted by: northalabama | Apr 26, 2014 7:32:19 PM

20. NorthAlabama, please feel free to send a check to cover all the services you recommend. Or better yet, please send in your application to adopt this transgender thug. Connecticut looks forward to hearing from you!

Posted by: Shaun | Apr 27, 2014 12:10:20 PM

21. @shaun - the transfer only shifts the cost from dcf budget to the prison system budget, and even if there's a short term increase in costs to dcf, i would expect it to be less expensive long term when compared to the cost of imprisonment. i'll take a rebate check for the long term savings.

Posted by: northalabama | May 1, 2014 12:58:30 PM

22. She's clearly a disturbed kid, whose family and community haven't given her the help she obviously needs. Transgender is a really difficult birth defect to deal with, even the support of an understanding and supportive family.

Kids can't fix themselves without help, and she isn't getting any at all. She doesn't belong in a jail, but the state has closed every other mental health facility that might have been more appropriate. The state's answer was to violate her civil rights by putting her in jail without charges.

Some of the commenters here really scare me with their lack of empathy for this child. Yes, a 16 year old is still a child, legally, emotionally, and biologically.

Posted by: Dave | May 7, 2014 10:14:22 PM