Arkansas | News | Oklahoma | Tornado | weather

17 Killed in Central U.S. Tornado Strikes, Drone Footage Shows Widespread Destruction: VIDEO

Drone

At least 17 people have been killed following a series of massive tornadoes that ripped through Arkansas and Oklahoma on Sunday.

Reunters reports:

Arkansas authorities said at least 10 people had died in Faulkner and six more across the state - the first reported fatalities of this year's tornado season. Another person was killed in neighboring Oklahoma, said the sheriff's department.

Searchers were continuing to dig through rubble in Vilonia and a spokesman for the County Sheriff's office said there was a "mass casualty situation".

"An entire neighborhood of 50 or so homes has been destroyed. Many homes are completely gone except the foundation ... There is more devastation like this in other parts of Arkansas," state congressman Tim Griffin told Reuters.

Stormchaser Brian Emfinger was also able to shoot aerial drone footage of the tornado’s destructive aftermath in Mayflower, Arkansas.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Clearly Little Baby Jeebus is punishing both these states for their denial of equality LGBT people

Posted by: MaryM | Apr 28, 2014 11:37:01 AM

2. Thoughts and prayers go to those affected by this.

And can we please take the higher road when it comes to things like this that cause serious harm to innocent people? We are better than the "Christians" who blame natural disasters on LGBT acceptance.

Posted by: Evan C | Apr 28, 2014 11:50:25 AM

3. While I support Evan C's comments and sentiments, I confess I wish something like this would happen to Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kansas.

Posted by: Hawthorne | Apr 28, 2014 12:12:11 PM

4. Naaahhhh.....no high row needed. If this were the Castro, the Village, or Boystown, they'd be tripping over themselves with condemnation. Clearly Jeebus is pissed!

Posted by: Hdtexan | Apr 28, 2014 12:20:08 PM

5. I am sure that Rep. Griffin will fight against federal aid for the devastation in his state the same way he fought against aid for the affected communities in the Northeast after Hurricane Sandy. I mean, a Republican couldn't POSSIBLY be hypocritical in a matter such as this, could he?

Posted by: dommyluc | Apr 28, 2014 12:41:19 PM

6. Oops... I think I might have been the target of God's rage. He missed me by "that" much.

Posted by: Arkansassy | Apr 28, 2014 1:41:38 PM

7. It's unfortunate you choose to sink to their level, HDTexan.

Posted by: Evan C | Apr 28, 2014 3:11:41 PM

8. Much of my family lives in Faulkner county AR, and some of them are without homes. It makes me sad that so many of the commenters here apparently have no sense of empathy. I guess I should have expected this from Trollroad.

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 28, 2014 11:45:04 PM

9. It's "high road" not "high row". Except maybe in Texas, where I guess GWB represents the norm for literacy.

Posted by: emjayay | Apr 29, 2014 1:16:11 AM

10. Wow. That was bad. Also, nice buzzy bees and wind soundtrack.

Posted by: emjayay | Apr 29, 2014 1:19:06 AM