Brandt Snedeker | Bubba Watson | Golf | News | Sports

Bubba Watson Wins 2014 Masters, Thinks Being Gay is a Sin

Watson

PGA Golfer Bubba Watson celebrated with a family dinner at Waffle House after winning the 2014 Masters tournament for the second time in three years over the weekend.

Outsports reminds us that he would have dinner with gay 'sinners' too, in a recollection of comments he made about Jason Collins last year:

"I've met Jason, said, ‘Hey,' to him, because he used to play for the Suns when I had the Suns tickets. I respect anybody that's gay ... I'm not saying I'm better than others. I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm saying I love him. If he called me right now and said, ‘Hey,' or any person that was gay called me, I'd go to dinner with them any time. It's just my belief system on the Bible says you can't be gay. That's a sin. So somebody living in sin I believe to be wrong."

There are no openly gay golfers in the PGA. Thankfully there are some players, like Brandt Snedeker, with more evolved perspectives.

Comments

1. I see gays!

Posted by: Johnny | Apr 14, 2014 11:21:23 AM

2. Ignorance may be no sin, but it is certainly a shame.

Posted by: Damien | Apr 14, 2014 11:26:18 AM

3. They guy wins a million and a half dollars and he takes his family out to Waffle House to celebrate???

Trailer. Park.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 14, 2014 11:33:00 AM

4. "Celebrates with a family dinner at the Waffle House".

THAT pretty much wraps it up, folks.

Posted by: jtramon | Apr 14, 2014 11:33:50 AM

5. I like him because he reminds me of my dad, who also thinks being gay is a sin! Tank's just keeping it real.

Posted by: Tank | Apr 14, 2014 11:41:23 AM

6. Other sins of the Bible:
    Wearing blended fabric (most golf clothes)
    Working on the Sabbath (that would be Saturday)
    Cutting the hair around your temples (sideburns don't count)

See ya in Hell, Bubba.

Posted by: Chadd | Apr 14, 2014 12:21:08 PM

7. Its only a sin to those that believe in a book & the imaginary man that lives in the sky somewhere. So I give this no validity- nope- none- zip- nada!!!!!

Posted by: tabsea | Apr 14, 2014 12:24:29 PM

8. @MIGUEL I wish you would name names.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 14, 2014 12:25:37 PM

9. WHO?

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Apr 14, 2014 12:28:12 PM

10. Insert any other category in exchange for "gay" and read this again. Try Jewish, Muslim, Black, Asian, Fat, Skinny, etc.
    This man is so caught up in his silly faith that he can't just be honest. I'm not even suggesting he doesn't like gays. I wouldn't be surprised if he likes us -- but because of his faith he has to qualify it. It's so dumb. Religion makes people act in ways they'd never act. It's not an honest representation of themselves.

Posted by: Marc | Apr 14, 2014 12:30:13 PM

11. How could anyone take seriously, anything said by a guy named "Bubba"?

Really.

Posted by: kdknyc | Apr 14, 2014 12:55:26 PM

12. you know the bible also says that those that work on the sabbath should be stoned . didn't he play golf yesterday and isn't that his job so he worked . lets stone him at the u.s. open on television

Posted by: walter | Apr 14, 2014 1:53:45 PM

13. Let's face it, he's considered the "great white trash hope" of pro golf. It's not surprising he has these attitudes. IIRC, he comes from some north Florida backwater.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Apr 14, 2014 4:58:49 PM

14. He's overweight but apparently his gluttony isn't a Biblical problem for him.

Posted by: calpoidog | Apr 14, 2014 5:09:05 PM

15. "It's just my belief system on the Bible says you can't be gay. "

What about slavery, Bubba? Bible's pretty clear on it...

Posted by: Randy | Apr 14, 2014 5:24:47 PM

16. Yes what do you expect from a guy named Bubba?!

Posted by: jarago | Apr 14, 2014 5:24:49 PM

17. What a stupid ignorant little man!

Posted by: BRAINS | Apr 14, 2014 6:10:05 PM

18. What he seems to be saying is that he doesn't mind being around gays, but his official position is that is that same-sex sexual activity is a sin.

Maybe his mom actually believes their Bible-thumping preacher and he can placate her by saying same-sex sexual activity is a sin but can also quote the part of the Bible about Jesus hanging out with tax collectors and sinners and partying with them:

Mathew 11:19
    The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”

So, "Bubba" can then ask his mom, "what would Jesus do?" You can argue about the theology, but it would probably shut her up.

BTW, maybe he went to a "Waffle House" because the crew wasn't presentable anywhere else. Think "Beverly Hillbillies". To decide, someone will have to see where he goes when he doesn't have his family along with him.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 14, 2014 11:13:15 PM