Comments

1. johnny says

DADT was sexuality-driven, not gender-self-identity driven. I’m not sure why this isn’t a basic understanding among the T’s of LGBT service members.

If the rest of the civilian world has SOME issues with transgender people, then the military is going to have gargantuan issues with it.

While I’m not advocating that these people disappear or give up, it seems odd to me that they expect the world, especially the military world, to easily overlook or easily accept something as big as changing one’s gender.

Considering the problems the military had simply allowing women to serve, it should go without saying that they’re going to be less than comfortable accepting that their soldiers might switch genders prior or during their years of service. That particular dog is not going to allow the tail to wag it.

2. Little Twatti says

I’m sure the DOD does not want to be on the hook for hormone therapy, sex change operations, boob jobs, etc. which is what they are now demanding in institutions like prisons.

3. MaryM says

I think the LGB community should assist those T servicepeople who identify as LGB.

The straight identifying T people do not need our support as they have nothing to do with us.

4. Steven H says

@Johnny “PS: The obvious (to me) plight of transgender service members is that they joined the service.”

I served in the Navy under DADT. At the time, people were saying the same thing about gay service members. It was disrespectful then, and it’s disrespectful now.

@Little Twatti: We provide all kinds of medical care to active duty service members around the world. Hormone therapy is relatively straightforward compared to, say, treatment for HIV, or substance addiction; or pain management…all of which are available for both service members and veterans. The sailor in this story was paying for his own hormones anyway.

5. Steven H says

6. johnny says

@Steven:

Sorry, but I’m not on the train that says gender identity issues are on par with sexuality issues.

Two TOTALLY different things in my book, especially considering that MOST transgender people stay with the same sexual preference once they cross over to their inner selves, so they don’t even have sexuality issues.

Instead of knee-jerk reacting to what I’m saying as discriminatory, look at the logic of gender issues vs. sexuality issues. They are VERY different.

It’s getting to the point where we’re not allowed to say ANYTHING even slightly negative about transgender things lest we be painted with the bigot brush and that’s simply not the case.

What I stated was the truth and it’s not ignorance or bigtory, it’s just an opinion based on facts. If you want to lump gender issues in with LGB issues, that’s fine, but don’t expect everyone to agree with you.

7. fedorajoe says

People. We (Ls, Gs, Bs, and Ts) are just “the queers” to the people who don’t like us and don’t understand us. We’re stronger standing together than apart. Going on about how the issues are different is nitpicking and misses the point. The basic question is: why is it okay to discriminate against the Ts if it’s not okay to discriminate against the Ls, Gs, and Bs? If your answer is, “It’s not okay,” then stop insisting that we separate these issues. They’re all related because 1.) the straight world lumps us all together anyway and 2.) there is tremendous overlap in terms of WHO faces these issues in their lives.