Hip-Hop | Music

No, Gay Rapper Fly Young Red Didn't Just Join Lil' Wayne's Music Label

Fyr

UPDATE: Fly Young Red has confirmed this as untrue on his Twitter account.

There are conflicting reports flying around regarding Fly Young Red — the young, gay rapper who recently released a video for his song “Throw That Boy Pussy.” According to 24-Hour Hip-Hop, the rapper just signed onto rapper Lil’ Wayne’s music label Young Money Entertainment (also called Young Money Cash Money Billionaires or YMCMB):

With such blatantly vulgar and homosexually charged lyrics, an industry power-move such as his YMCMB signing is shocking. When asked for a comment, Young Money capo Lil’ Wayne stated, “Good music is good music. Gay, straight, black, white, blue, or purple. Good music is just good music. Have you ever been in the club when that joint came on? Ni--as go crazy when that drop. I had to make him YMCMB.”

When asked for his thoughts on the signing, Cash Money headman Birdman stated, “I support everything my young’n do. Young’n brought Red into the boardroom, we met behind closed doors, we spoke like men, we handled business like bosses. We ended up making him a offer he couldn’t refuse. It’s YMCMB forever, ya dig? We support Red movement and what he tryna accomplish. We definitely support the movement."

However, XXL Mag is reporting that YMCMB President Mack Maine has flatly denied that his label has in fact signed Fly Young Red to their label.

24-Hour Hip-Hop says that Fly Young Red declined to make any statements.

Comments

1. What gay man would be interested in these female asses?

Posted by: litper | Apr 9, 2014 12:19:49 PM

2. Ooh-la-la. Blue and purple. My kinda people.

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 9, 2014 12:23:31 PM

3. Boy Pussy is based on the same beat as Lil Wayne's Wowzers, so I wouldn't be surprised if there already was some kind of business relationship.

Posted by: Merv | Apr 9, 2014 12:32:37 PM

4. This is a rumor, but he is smart enough to ride the wave of free publicity.

Posted by: THurts | Apr 9, 2014 12:39:39 PM

5. @Merv

More like personal than professional. We know Lil' Wayne is a closet case.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 9, 2014 12:58:24 PM

6. Lil Wayne is the biggest closet case in hip hop. Seriously doubt he's going to sign an openly gay guy.

Posted by: michael | Apr 9, 2014 1:01:48 PM

7. I feel like something is wrong when the media glorifies something as disrespectful and offensive as "throw that boy pussy" yet feels obliged to dash-out the euphemism "niggas" which was part of a direct quote from an actual 'person of color'.

Posted by: Austin | Apr 9, 2014 1:17:52 PM

8. The rapper in question denied the rumors on twitter yesterday.

Posted by: Francis | Apr 9, 2014 1:23:36 PM

9. "N*ggas", "b*tches", "boy p*ssy" in song lyrics . . . good reasons to avoid Hip Hop/Rap like the plague, Gay or otherwise!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Apr 9, 2014 1:48:56 PM

10. I suppose you could arguue that the video is groundbreaking, but it hasn't made rap music any more acceptable to me.

Posted by: Graeco | Apr 9, 2014 2:33:34 PM

11. Well, I like it. But he's going to need a fan base of more than just me...

Posted by: Randy | Apr 9, 2014 6:12:53 PM

12. I love that y'all clearly think that you have a clear understanding of an entire genre of music (with it's own subcultures and subgenres within it) from one artist's song.

"This is why I avoid hip hop"....if you think that this is all there is to hip-hop (as if this song is somehow a problem because it doesn't live up to your ideas of respectability politics) then it's clearly because you made a conscious decision not to learn about the history and the scope of hip-hop.

There could be plenty of reasons why you refuse to acknowledge it's vastness (could be racism, could be lack of access, it could be that it's just legit not your scene) but at the end of the day, dismissing an entire genre due to your own lack of understanding leaves your opinion null and void.

Posted by: Asher | Apr 9, 2014 6:27:17 PM

13. @Francis:

Put "rapper" in quotes, please.

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 9, 2014 9:00:26 PM

14. @Stuffed Animal:
    As Gloria Bigelow puts it in her stand-up set,
    "I don't listen to hip-hop because I have ears and self-esteem."

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 9, 2014 9:02:18 PM

15. @Asher:

As for me, my parents raised me better than that.

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 9, 2014 9:03:50 PM

16. It's just gross to watch human beings dumb themselves down. This crap IS CRAP

Posted by: John | Apr 10, 2014 1:33:34 AM

17. In the 1990s I argued with Afrocentric graduate students about the merits of Rap music as an art form. I'm proud to say that after a few years I realized how closed minded and stupid my views were. I hope that some of you can do the same...but that may a futile hope.

Rap and HipHop are the musical genre for more than two generations. If you don't like it--then go sit your flat azz on a toilet and shut up.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 10, 2014 9:45:43 AM