News | Tech

Kids React to (And Are Incredibly Confused By) Walkmans: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-04-14 at 4.01.29 PM

A Kids React video designed to make you laugh…and also realize just how very old you are.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/still-no-proof-that-children-make-us-happy.html

Posted by: Oxnard Rick | Apr 14, 2014 9:09:55 PM

2. I vaguely remember these! I was a little boy when the Discman was on its way out.

Posted by: Sergio | Apr 14, 2014 9:42:54 PM

3. I loved my walkman. Then I loved my discman.

Then I loved, loved, loved my iPod Nano.

Now I'm mheh about my Samsung Galaxy! How the times -- and our expectations -- have changed.

Being a late 80s/early 90s kid, I really was born in a very cool age -- getting to experience all the old tech like walkman and VHS, all the transitional tech like discmans and DVDs, then all modern tech like mp3s and digital video, all before I was out of college.

I'm not sure if there will be such a noticeable series of leaps in tech for any single generation in a long time.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 14, 2014 11:24:36 PM

4. I'm My Own Walkman

Posted by: Bobby McFerrin | Apr 15, 2014 3:32:09 AM

5. Kid (along with adults) continue to be the dumbest, most useless things on the planets.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Apr 15, 2014 4:20:47 AM

6. It was nice to be reminded how we had to fast forward by guessing, since most Walkmans did not have counters.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Apr 15, 2014 7:26:50 AM

7. Eh, show them something truly antique. I recently dated a 31-year-old who didn't recognize the word phonograph (and was only vaguely aware of the Berlin Wall). Sure, I felt old, but that's OK -- with sagging muscles comes wisdom.

Posted by: DW | Apr 15, 2014 10:08:51 AM

8. hmmp.. kids get confused about reading, writing and arithmetic!

Posted by: Splatt | Apr 15, 2014 10:31:53 AM

9. what happened to my portable 8 track player?

Posted by: sjaeger | Apr 15, 2014 11:27:02 AM

10. I still have my first cellphone from 1997, which is just a little smaller than a Walkman.

I met a date once carrying that first cellphone in my front pocket and he said:

"Is that a VCR in your pocket or are you happy to see me?" (Video Cassette Recorder for you milennials)

Truth be told, it was a little bit of both.

Posted by: Beta Max | Apr 15, 2014 1:01:04 PM

11. @Quicksilver. I think the dumbest thing is someone not realizing the breakneck pace of technology and globalization. To me, a person trained in the two, see that these kids are too young to know because of the quick and steady advances of technology and the companies the push technology.

Posted by: Kurtis Edwards | Apr 15, 2014 1:36:10 PM

12. Kids of today will never know how special it was when someone you love makes a mix tape for you. (or mix cd in my case, but potato-potahto.)

Posted by: mintylaramie | Apr 16, 2014 4:33:09 AM