Kevin Spacey | News

Kevin Spacey Continues to 'Fiercely' Guard His Private Life

Spacey

In a new interview in The Hollywood Reporter, Kevin Spacey shuts down discussion of his private life:

Spacey, whose only permanent home is in London, fiercely guards his private life. In fact, his affable demeanor shuts off the moment he is asked about it. This might date back to a 1997 Esquire profile that infamously suggested Spacey was gay. He later denied the characterization, and his agency at the time, William Morris, vehemently discouraged its clients from cooperating with the publication."Let's let people live their lives and do it the way they want to do it," he says now. "All the chips will fall in the end, and we'll all be judged by a much higher power than Entertainment Weekly can."

This is consistent with what Spacey has said for years. In 2010 in an interview with Kevin Sessums, Spacey suggested that asking him he's gay is a form of bullying, adding:

"I don't live a lie. You have to understand that people who choose not to discuss their personal lives are not living a lie. That is a presumption that people jump t...I am different than some people would like me to be. I just don't buy into that the personal can be political. I just think that's horseshit. No one's personal life is in the public interest. It's gossip, bottom line. End of story. Now some people feed that. They'll go to the trendy restaurants where all the photographers are and then bitch about being famous. But if you don't want to feed that and you want your life to be based around what your work is then it ends there."

Comments

1. I figured his gay love scene in House of Cards was his way of acknowledging it.

Posted by: Zlick | Apr 3, 2014 8:05:44 PM

2. Good for him.

Posted by: UFFDA | Apr 3, 2014 8:07:13 PM

3. Actors shouldn't pontificate overmuch, it rarely goes well. I'm a longtime Spacey fan and will remain one, but the man is wrong to assert that the personal can't be political. Hasn't the fact that it can been well-established for decades if not centuries by various reckonings? We get it, Kevin. You're playing ye olde "none of your business" game. No problem. But don't extend your choice to be apolitical about something that you clearly realize *is* (else, why the avoidance?) to others. Your personal choice to be silent on the issue, please own it as such.

Posted by: Th Other One | Apr 3, 2014 8:07:29 PM

4. I'm with kspacey in that I don't think large masses of straight people can necessarily be trusted: repeatedly, too many straights show themselves to be absolute monsters towards straight people. I don't see why every single gay/bi should be demanded to come out if that entails submitting to degradation by some straights against the will of that given person.

On the other hand, kspacey is silly if he really believes the personal cannot be political. Of course it can, and maybe almost always IS. But when it does become political, I don't think it should be forced on someone unless they are a traitor to the cause.

Just my thoughts at the moment.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Apr 3, 2014 8:11:54 PM

5. I'm with kspacey in that I don't think large masses of straight people can necessarily be trusted: repeatedly, too many straights show themselves to be absolute monsters towards straight people. I don't see why every single gay/bi should be demanded to come out if that entails submitting to degradation by some straights against the will of that given person.

Just my thoughts at the moment.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Apr 3, 2014 8:11:55 PM

6. Monsters towards gay people

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Apr 3, 2014 8:12:24 PM

7. He'll suffer exactly zero problems as a self-acknoweldged gay actor, so why does he have a problem confirming the obvious?

He's old. If he acknowledges what everybody has known forever, he looks like a fool for lying about it for so long.

Next up: when will Richard Simmons come out of the closet?

Posted by: oncemorewithfeeling | Apr 3, 2014 8:16:42 PM

8. If you want a private life, then don't become a public figure. It goes with the territory. Further, I don't know too many straight actors who hide their heterosexuality because they're ashamed of it. Kevin, if you do, please name them? Thanks.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Apr 3, 2014 8:17:23 PM

9. "I just don't buy into that the personal can be political"

Harvey Milk would disagree.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 3, 2014 8:31:37 PM

10. G-A-Y

Posted by: Gigi | Apr 3, 2014 8:32:00 PM

11. I am not defending him - but my understanding of the situation was that his mom was/is still alive and it was a personal family oriented thing.

That said. Being a gossip whore his cruising in London parks is fairly well documented.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Apr 3, 2014 8:40:26 PM

12. who does he think he is? dirk bogarde? it's not 1960 anymore.

Posted by: ascanius1 | Apr 3, 2014 8:48:08 PM

13. Perfectly said Sean Maloney.

Posted by: Dr. Christopher Blackwell | Apr 3, 2014 8:50:52 PM

14. Isn't not denying it essentially coming out these days?

Posted by: David | Apr 3, 2014 9:06:00 PM

15. What's the big deal? Can't he just relax and be not be so defensive? At this point in time and his career and exposure, he just seems out of touch and self loathing. Ellen and others have done the hard work . He's so uptight about it that it's ridiculous. Come on out honey, the waters fine!

Posted by: Jim | Apr 3, 2014 9:40:46 PM

16. If you want to be a movie star people are going to be curious about your private life- if you want privacy then don't go into such a public profession.

Posted by: jarago | Apr 3, 2014 9:45:12 PM

17. I find it hard to imagine that he doesn't realize that nobody who engages in that kind of evasive double-talk is ever straight. (See Latifah, Queen). If he were straight, he would say something like, "Yeah, my wife and I love living in London". He doesn't really owe anybody anything, of course, but at a certain point, he has to be aware that he is no longer fooling anybody. Besides, he is waaay past having to worry about risking any heartthrob status. Being out would affect his career in no way at all. (See McKellen, Ian)

Posted by: Abie | Apr 3, 2014 9:53:00 PM

18. First, I think people should be able to build a career as an actor without having to make their personal lives public. Some people just want to act and have no desire to be a 'star'. Spacey only speaks to the press in order to fulfill promo commitments for his roles.

Second, there are exactly zero out gay men playing leading hetero roles in major motion pictures and dramas. Honestly, the only ones I can think of are playing comedy or wizards or something like that. Never the guy banging his hot mistress or wife. Never.

I don't think of Spacey as being in the closet. Not saying it in the press allows all those square state soccer moms to continue imagining him as a leading hetero...and we gays can see one of our own effectively playing any role out there...not just the mincing nerd or magical dwarf.

Posted by: Paul | Apr 3, 2014 10:08:19 PM

19. Everybody knows a guy who's slept with him. Who does he think he's kidding?

Same crap as Anderson Cooper a few years ago. His private life was off limits . . . except the suicide of his brother, his relationship with his mother, the color of his turd. Private life is a synonym for "my gay life."

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 3, 2014 10:22:42 PM

20. Like the comment above, I know a guy who slept with him. (Not a friend of a friend). One time, I was in a small professional gathering in a small space with Spacey (being purposefully vague), there were several attractive young men present, and Spacey was cruising all of them. Paid no attention to the alpha female in the room. I rarely call non-out people gay....except for Kevin Spacey. Kevin Spacey is a big homo.

Posted by: Henry | Apr 3, 2014 10:35:10 PM

21. It's pathetic that he doesn't just cop to what is known by almost everyone, but in a way I don't mind because he's such a creep. I've had friends (gay and straight) who he's aggressively hit on in disgusting, rude, condescending, awful ways. I really dislike the man, so I don't care how long he plays pretend.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 3, 2014 10:35:40 PM

22. Y'all's meanness makes me want to see more good in kspacey. Why should he live by YOUR standards?!

Mostly I don't care, but I applaud his dignity on his own terms no matter his circumstance. Sheesh, sheeple.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Apr 3, 2014 10:49:05 PM

23. The guy simply protests too much. He is gay.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Apr 3, 2014 11:20:19 PM

24. I don't care if he's gay or not.

But it does seem odd to ask people to look at you all the time, and then attack them for being curious who you really are.

But don't we really already know the answer? If he was in a relationship with anyone, we'd know, unless that person is kept locked in a dungeon.

Posted by: Randy | Apr 3, 2014 11:22:31 PM

25. Well...he's right! If he says it's none of our business then that's that. It is just gossip and that nosy itch.

Posted by: daws | Apr 3, 2014 11:26:38 PM