Chris Martin | Coldplay | Hart Crane | News | One Direction

Coldplay's Chris Martin Was 'Pretty Sure' He Was Straight Before Meeting Harry Styles: VIDEO

C_martin

Coldplay's Chris Martin had some complimentary things to say about One Direction in a recent interview with BBC Radio 1, and even gushier things to say about singer Harry Styles:

"I think One Direction are the biggest band in the world, their songs are great. I'm saying One Direction are brilliant and I'm not kidding. You know why? Because their songs are really good and I don't think that any of them are going to go solo. I think they appreciate their chemistry from watching their movie... Harry has come to a couple of our shows, I think I probably said the same thing about chemistry. I can't remember - I was too enamoured with his hair cut. I was like this, 'I was pretty sure I was a straight guy before' - I was having a hot flush."

Watch Coldplay debut "Oceans" in the Radio 1 Live Lounge, AFTER THE JUMP...

Styles

Comments

1. I just threw up. A lot.

Posted by: Quicksilver | Apr 28, 2014 2:42:16 PM

2. is that why gwenneth divorced him

Posted by: Moz's | Apr 28, 2014 2:45:54 PM

3. Well, he's never had good taste. What else is new?

Posted by: Beezer | Apr 28, 2014 2:53:35 PM

4. Harry is all good of course but any straight man who had to suffer under the control freakishness of that insufferable G(onorrhea P)OOP for a decade will be turned gay! LOL

Free at last, free at last, thank God the Almighty,free at last!

Congrats,Chris! And welcome to the tribe!;-)

Posted by: iban4yesu | Apr 28, 2014 2:54:24 PM

5. He's been married to Gwyneth Paltrow for like a decade! And he's JUST NOW figuring out he's gay?

Posted by: Sean | Apr 28, 2014 2:59:08 PM

6. Is the whole thing a sarcastic joke? I hope so.

Posted by: anon | Apr 28, 2014 3:11:31 PM

7. "He's been married to Gwyneth Paltrow for like a decade! And he's JUST NOW figuring out he's gay?"

LOL, that is exactly what I was saying above!
    That entitled adulterous shrew has turned him gay!;-p

Posted by: iban4yesu | Apr 28, 2014 3:35:16 PM

8. Of course it's a joke, or at least his idea of something funny. It's hardly like he made a heartfelt confession that only when he saw Harry Styles did he realize what would truly make him happy.

Instead he just said something to get people talking, and he did it as inoffensively as possible. But read his comments sentence by sentence. All at once, he's parodying every criticism leveled at boy bands (by gushing the opposite), mocking their "hardcore" fans (most of whom are lovesick preteen girls who have never heard much music before and couldn't care less about the band's music anyway), and highlighting that boy bands are pretty inherently gay (or, if you want a bitter take on it, that any guy who likes boy bands is gay...though I'm not going to defend people with poor taste, gay or not).

Thing is, it's not especially clever. Everyone knows those things.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 28, 2014 3:58:26 PM

9. He's British and Harry Styles is British. They can joke about these things with no insult being offered or received.

He's joking and there's nothing sarcastic about it. You're allowed to be straight and have a man-crush in the UK - there's nothing odd about it. Our history and culture is different to the US's.

It's one of the reasons why people like David Beckham and Ben Cohen have no problem acknowledging their gay fans. And it's not just the 'metrosexual' sportsmen, either. Back in the early noughties, Dennis Wise, a thuggishly gorgeous soccer player for the decidedly violent and working class team of Millwall in south east London was voted the second or third sexiest sportsmen in Britain by a gay magazine. Everyone expected him to go nuts, but he responded in a genuinely surprised and humble fashion that he felt genuinely honored that anyone found him attractive.

Chris Martin is bantering (sadly, because I'd do him in a second)- it's good-natured, it's friendly and it's not insulting or indicative of Chris Martin or Harry Styles's sexuality or approach to gayness in any way.

If anything, I like Chris Martin even more like now. And am thinking of buying a wig.

Posted by: dazzer | Apr 28, 2014 5:51:49 PM

10. Coldplay is(was)a talentless ripoff of Radiohead. Gwyneth is a bland, boring actress who never should have won an Oscar.

Bjork was robbed!

I'm still bitter...

Posted by: Dave | Apr 28, 2014 6:29:38 PM

11. harry was attractive before he got the tats. Now he reminds me a closeted teamster. I've never seen a human body improved by tatoos.

Posted by: terry | Apr 28, 2014 7:14:56 PM

12. Harry is super talented but not cute at all. Definitely the most unattractive member of One Direction, but also the most talented.

Posted by: Billy | Apr 28, 2014 7:41:01 PM

13. That's probably more charge than he EVER got out from GOOPY.

Posted by: Jerry | Apr 28, 2014 7:47:57 PM

14. Damn, watching that man sing just melts me into a puddle. He just oozes sexy. Sigh...

Posted by: AriesMatt | Apr 28, 2014 8:52:14 PM

15. Chris Martin & Harry Styles? Together? Hmm, let me think...*waits for libido to respond*...sadly I could actually make this work...

Posted by: Travis | Apr 29, 2014 10:08:54 AM

16. Idiot guy trying to get attention and pandering to dumb gays who think it is cool to say something like that.

Posted by: Perry | Apr 29, 2014 10:38:28 AM

17. Straight guys just can't win.

Posted by: parker | Apr 29, 2014 12:03:37 PM