Music | Music Video | One Direction

One Direction Shapeshifts for 'You & I': VIDEO

Tumblr_n48kmiQNwC1qiti79o4_250 Tumblr_n48kmiQNwC1qiti79o5_250

One Direction changes up the 'I'm walking on a cold pier and singing a ballad' video with some fancy visual magic including morphing faces, running into frozen future versions of themselves, and blowing up balloons that magically tie on their own.

The clip was directed by Ben Winston.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I give the director and "A" for effort, but a "C-" in execution.

Posted by: Phoenix Justice | Apr 18, 2014 4:10:43 PM

2. They are winning a lot of money but they look exhausted in the video. At this rythm they are going to crash and burn

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 18, 2014 4:24:48 PM

3. Very cool concept and special effects. Simple. Different. Fresh (although some of the boys look kind of exhausted). Music? Standard pop that tweens will eat up.

Posted by: AriesMatt | Apr 18, 2014 6:53:26 PM

4. Michael Jackson - Black or White?

Posted by: Jay M | Apr 18, 2014 7:28:37 PM

5. Wow those boys really do look like they need some rest.

Posted by: bicurious | Apr 18, 2014 9:04:25 PM

6. Black or white was a million times better in execution. The transitions were amateur in this - like they did it in Adobe Premiere. Telling is the fact they used the same sweater on all rather than transition outfits. Cheap.

Posted by: Glen | Apr 18, 2014 9:05:50 PM

7. I can't get past the glaring grammatical error, especially with the whole song built around it.

Posted by: John B. | Apr 18, 2014 9:54:37 PM

8. Truly boring forgettable crap. The pier is lovely though.

Posted by: John | Apr 18, 2014 10:21:15 PM

9. One Direction and their "family values" of Duck Dynasty?

Posted by: litper | Apr 19, 2014 12:48:30 AM

10. Which one is the homophobe?

Posted by: Daniel | Apr 19, 2014 2:23:03 AM

11. Between you and me.......I don't like "Between You and I."

Posted by: gr8guyca | Apr 19, 2014 2:34:13 AM

12. The first thing I thought of when I saw this was Michael Jackson's Black or White, which was vastly superior.

Posted by: Red | Apr 19, 2014 6:15:45 AM

13. Daniel: To be fair i doubt Liam is really an homophobe. Everybody knows at least two of them are gay (their PR is really dictatorial) and Liam is one of Tom Daley's best friends.

He was not fortunate with what he wrote, but at least he was smart enough to shut up and wait till everything was calm again

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 19, 2014 6:34:09 AM

14. I'm not going to waste time on the video - honestly I'm not sure what this group has to do with the gay community. But based on the comments: "Truly boring forgettable crap" it's worth a reminder that of course, the standards of the teeny bopper girls who follow these groups is incredibly low. It probably does rip off MJ's Black and White. Well, 90% of diehard OD fans are probabably only aware of who he is in passing, if that. Their hormone-added brains just think "cute boys" "singing to me" "love video".

I'm reminded of an interesting trend if you follow the most popular youtube channels. There are several run by outrageously gay seeming young men, like Joey who was booted off Amazing Race recently. (I actually discovered this subculture by researching: "who is this annoying tool who is apparently closeted") Yet they have millions of female followers apparently quite oblivious to their gayness. It really lends credence to the notion that if a gene for homosexuality can exist, it might exist simply because some women strong prefer a feminine acting man. Not that it needs a genetic explanation to be legitimate...nor does it mean all gay men are feminine acting, because of course they are not. I just find it a curious phenomena. YT comments indicate some straight males do think people like Joey are gay, so apparently it's the desire that causes the gayday blinders to go on.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Apr 19, 2014 6:58:30 AM

15. oops...strongly prefer
    time to get that caffeine

Posted by: EchtKultig | Apr 19, 2014 6:59:33 AM

16. EchtKultig: Well only half of their female fans are unaware of the gayness of some members of OD.
    The other half is quite supportive of that gayness or couldn't care less

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 19, 2014 8:09:24 AM

17. Are some of the members openly gay? Sorry, I didn't even know that. I actually wasn't aware of any mainstream boy bands w/openly gay members, though of course several came out after disbanding like Stephen Gately and Lance Bass. Will Young kinda had a similar demographic, surely, but one could cynically suppose he might have had greater success if he'd stayed closeted. But he did the right thing and I'm sure he feels that way.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Apr 19, 2014 8:35:42 AM

18. Who is straight? Who is gay? The song is still crap.

Posted by: John | Apr 19, 2014 8:57:05 AM

19. EchtKultig: No, there's no openly gay member. They are not even entlited to date whoever they want. Their PR are like dictators, they want all the money they can get.
    But there are a lot of rumours about two of them Harry and Louis, and the fact that all their relationships look fake doesn't help to deny the rumours.
    Harry even date Taylor Swift, and right now date Taylor Swift is the equivalent of the I'm gay cover on Time magazine.

Will Young was very very big in UK, and that was against all odds (Simon Cowell included). But that happened not only because he was very popular but because he really knew what he wanted. His second album sold more than a million an a half only in the UK.
    Even without the support of radio, he still sells a lot and has a very good and long career. He is one of the few talent show winners that has a career after a decade

Posted by: jjose712 | Apr 19, 2014 4:21:57 PM

20. if only they could shapeshift into a talented group.

Posted by: don't a tell la | Apr 19, 2014 10:16:08 PM

21. skinny jeans give them girly hips... trend needs to go away...

Posted by: V-8 | Apr 20, 2014 5:46:13 AM

22. Okay, so overall the video is boring. Harry has this walk about him and the way he's dressed reminds me of a bum. For the most part they are all filthy looking. I think the entire video could've used a facelift and the members could have been touched up a bit.

I agree with other viewers on here that the matching skinny jeans were a horrible look. I don't dislike the band in any way nor do I think they should've done anything different. The idea of the video was entertaining and the stills that they jumped into were neat.

Posted by: NC | Apr 26, 2014 12:03:07 AM

23. Okay, so overall the video is boring. Harry has this walk about him and the way he's dressed reminds me of a bum. For the most part they are all filthy looking. I think the entire video could've used a facelift and the members could have been touched up a bit.

Posted by: NC | Apr 26, 2014 12:04:38 AM