Stephen Colbert to Replace David Letterman on 'The Late Show'

Goat_colbert

Variety reports on a big development in late night:

The CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning “The Colbert Report,” will succeed David Letterman as the host of “The Late Show.”

...When Colbert sits behind the desk of the CBS program, as he is set to do at a currently undetermined date in 2015, he will likely do it in unvarnished fashion, not as the right-wing caricature he plays in his current perch on Comedy Central. CBS said creative elements, producers and even the location of the show will be announced at a later date.

Comments

1. OH i wonder if someone else will fill his 10:30PM slot on Comedy Central?

Posted by: Cory | Apr 10, 2014 12:08:30 PM

2. Samantha Bee should get a shot ... I'd pitch it as a parody of news magazine journalism, a la 60 Minutes, with long-form sketches.

Posted by: Riada | Apr 10, 2014 12:14:42 PM

3. I don't like Stephen Colbert and I really don't 'get' him, but it is better than another possible contender, Chelsea Handler. Yuk. Wasn't this an awfully hasty decision?! It may not be true.

Posted by: David From Canada | Apr 10, 2014 12:19:32 PM

4. NO!!!!!

I hope this isn't true.

It isn't that I don't want Colbert to have Letterman's show but that I think the Colbert Report is so excellent at what it does, lampooning Fox News and the Right Wing. I don't want to lose the CR!

Posted by: Caliban | Apr 10, 2014 12:23:56 PM

5. I like this choice considering what is available and hosting track records. Of all the independent hosts from Chandler, Ferguson, Daly, Meyers, Kimmel, etc, I like and watch Colbert more than the others. Fallon makes me gag and is not funny. Arsenio is too full of himself. Conan is unappealing.

Posted by: Cary Chauvet | Apr 10, 2014 12:23:59 PM

6. Congratulations to Mr. Colbert! The man's as sharp as a tack; well actually, he makes a tack look about as sharp as a beach ball.

I'm sure he'll do better than fine.

Posted by: Martin | Apr 10, 2014 12:27:29 PM

7. I feel sad for Craig Ferguson!!

Posted by: CB | Apr 10, 2014 12:40:32 PM

8. @CB - don'y worry too much about Ferguson. Since his contract gave him the right of first refusal, CBS has to pay him 8 million.

I will miss the Cobert Report.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Apr 10, 2014 12:46:07 PM

9. Great choice. Too bad I go to bed early.

Posted by: Jack M | Apr 10, 2014 1:00:32 PM

10. I remember Colbert from his days on 'The Daily Show'. I mourned the loss from there to his own show and refused to watch his show for years because I felt it so keenly. Then, a couple of years ago, I finally gave it a chance.

Colbert is a comedic genius, whether playing himself or a right-wing caricature of himself. And he's a warm caring person to boot.

I'll be watching from the very first minute (sorry, Jimmy Kimmel, there's a new man in my life).

Posted by: Rodney | Apr 10, 2014 1:07:45 PM

11. Think that Craig Ferguson really lost out having that idiotic skeleton as a sidekick. That was worst decision that he has EVER made including drugs and alcohol! He is brilliant by himself. Colbert might work out fine! The first thing he said was that it was an honor and now he was going to file a gap in his teeth. Ha!

Posted by: Mike | Apr 10, 2014 1:08:19 PM

12. I'm with Caliban on this. I love me some Stephen Colbert, but there must be plenty of other people who can do the dog and pony show that was David Letterman's show, I don't want to lose the Colbert Report!

Posted by: Howard B | Apr 10, 2014 1:18:59 PM

13. Love love love this! Suck it Suey Park!

Posted by: D.C | Apr 10, 2014 1:24:25 PM

14. Hahaha the race baiting queer activists are going to be PISSED (smiling with glee as I type that)

Posted by: Jordan | Apr 10, 2014 1:25:05 PM

15. Great choice. I'll miss the Colbert Report though. Looks like I'm going to have to start watching the Late Show. I completely agree with the other comment here about Samantha Bee replacing him. Love Samantha Bee!!

Posted by: Lucas | Apr 10, 2014 1:25:23 PM

16. Great choice. I'll miss the Colbert Report though. Looks like I'm going to have to start watching the Late Show. I completely agree with the other comment here about Samantha Bee replacing him. Love Samantha Bee!!

Posted by: Lucas | Apr 10, 2014 1:25:24 PM

17. This is wonderful. I actually just became more familiar with him after the silly cancelcolbert tactic. I find him refreshing and real witty with origionality.

Posted by: AV505 | Apr 10, 2014 1:26:13 PM

18. Someone call the WAHM-BULANCE for Suey Park. That drama queen is going to throw another fit.

Posted by: Gio | Apr 10, 2014 1:27:17 PM

19. He'll be turned into a pat, generic comedian just like Jimmy Fallon who is already a Leno clone in trim-downed drag. We'll miss you Steven.

Posted by: al | Apr 10, 2014 1:53:05 PM

20. I love the Colbert report and as much as I am happy for SC, I hate to see his current gig end!

Posted by: Ted | Apr 10, 2014 1:54:59 PM

21. Colbert is brilliant. He made a career out of ridiculing Bill O'Reilly night after night (and O'Reilly doesn't even seem to know it). I'll miss the COLBERT REPORT & hope Comedy Central comes up with a news-oriented format in that timeslot I can continue to DVR every night. Intelligent comedy & satire is a rare gift.

Hopefully, CBS will not impose a mainstream sensibilities to the LATE SHOW. I understand the deal allows Stephen to bring his stable of writers along with him, so I'm optimistic.

Americans need a "fake news" outlet to show them the hypocracy & foolishness the "real news" outlets ignore.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Apr 10, 2014 2:04:42 PM

22. I'm not understanding why so many of you aren't relishing the chance to see the Colbert of 'The Daily Show' again, and are instead bemoaning the loss of his satire (which won't necessarily be lost, as he may make it a bit on his show)....

Posted by: Rodney | Apr 10, 2014 2:15:02 PM

23. I'm hoping he doesn't become another "late night" show with: monologue, sketch bit, first guest, second guest and music act.

I'm truly hoping he turns late night on its head but I get the feeling CBS will suck Colbert's creativity dry. I'm hoping that Colbert will prove me wrong.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 10, 2014 2:22:07 PM

24. Late night programs are things of the past.

Posted by: Will | Apr 10, 2014 2:41:02 PM

25. "Think that Craig Ferguson really lost out having that idiotic skeleton as a sidekick. That was worst decision that he has EVER made including drugs and alcohol! He is brilliant by himself. "

WTF are you smoking? Ferguson was always too edgy to replace Dave, and John Robert Thompson is a brilliant comic who the Late Late show is lucky to have. He's rather cute too, btw. (he's the voice of Geoff Peterson)

Although, I partly have to agree with Will here. (not about the deranged drama queen Andrew Sullivan though) I see these types of shows as increasingly anachronistic. About 15 years ago when I started in the business world, young people discussed them, especially Conan O'Brien & David Letterman, of course I'm not 21 anymore but my impression is they don't have the cultural impact they used to. Of course Comedy Central replaced their currency with the 20-somethings, which is why this was probably the smartest decision CBS could make.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Apr 10, 2014 2:58:55 PM