Arkansas | Dustin McDaniel | Gay Marriage | News

Arkansas Attorney General Says He Supports Gay Marriage But Will Defend State's Ban

Arkansas Attorney General dustin McDaniel told attendees at the Associated Press Managing Editors convention that he supports marriage equality but he plans to defend the state's ban in court, the AP reports:

McdanielMcDaniel, a Democrat serving his final year as the state's top attorney, became the first statewide official in Arkansas to back same-sex marriage....

...McDaniel had voiced support for civil unions when he ran for attorney general in 2006, but said then he believed marriage was between a man and a woman. McDaniel ran briefly for governor but dropped out early last year.

McDaniel said he was not calling on any other statewide officials or candidates to support gay marriage, and said he would not campaign for ending the ban while serving as attorney general.

McDaniel told the reporters:

"I want to tell you I do support marriage equality and I do believe Arkansans should have the right to be equal in the eyes of the law...I'm going to zealously defend our constitution, but at the same time I think it's important to let people [know] where I stand on the matter."

Comments

1. Gee, thanks... I guess.

Posted by: tim | May 3, 2014 6:10:52 PM

2. Hell of an endorsement. The reason he dropped out of the gov's race was he got caught having an affair with an attorney (female) representing the opposing side in a lawsuit against the state - which, as the AG, he was defending.

Posted by: AdamTh | May 3, 2014 6:58:19 PM

3. Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel: "I know what the right thing to do is, but I sure as hell ain't gonna do it!"

Wow. Somebody give him a prize.

Posted by: ProvidedBy | May 3, 2014 7:16:59 PM

4. All the AGs seem to take one of two courses: they don't defend the law or they do half-assed job defending it.

Posted by: Jason MacBride | May 3, 2014 7:39:33 PM

5. Maybe the plainiffs should serve him with a summons and make him give testimony to the court under oath as to his true feelings.

Posted by: Retro | May 3, 2014 8:06:31 PM

6. So, how can the court accept his arguments against marriage equality in the courtroom, when he's telling the public that he doesn't really believe that nonsense?

Credibility --> 0

Posted by: Randy | May 3, 2014 11:17:09 PM

7. All of the people legally defending their states anti-gay marriage amendments whether they are Democrat or Republican need to be sued for wasting taxpayer money.

If they are so against gay marriage they should be made to use their own money not taxpayer money. Let's see how many take a stand against us then !

Posted by: Icebloo | May 3, 2014 11:46:41 PM

8. It will be interesting to see the arguments he makes.

Most of the anti-equality arguments include all the ways our existence or the recognition of our relationships threaten straight relationships or society itself. Hard to reconcile with believing we deserve equality under the law.

Posted by: Lymis | May 4, 2014 8:36:21 AM

9. Translation, "I'm against sending Jews on the train to Auschwitz, but hey, the Nazi's say I gotta do it." Schmuck.

Posted by: Bill | May 4, 2014 9:49:35 AM

10. Translation, "I'm against sending Jews on the train to Auschwitz, but hey, the Nazi's say I gotta do it." Schmuck.

Posted by: Bill | May 4, 2014 9:49:35 AM

11. By support, he means attack. Orwellian double speak.

Posted by: John Conolley | May 4, 2014 12:04:38 PM