California | Catholic Church | News

Catholic School Apologizes For Removing Yearbook Picture of Female Student in Tuxedo

The Sacred Heart Cathedral Prep school in San Francisco has apologized following outcry over the school’s decision to remove the yearbook photo of senior student Jessica Urbina because she was wearing a tuxedo rather than the mandatory dress for female students.

The Advocate reports:

UrbinaThe removal of the photo was widely criticized as the news spread. Urbina’s fellow students united to support her by creating a social media campaign and participating in a demonstration Friday, which saw hundreds of students wearing ties to school protesting the school’s decision. “I’ve cried multiple times, overwhelmed with all this support,” Urbina told the Chronicle.

The backlash prompted the school to issue an official apology Monday from president John Scudder Jr. and principal Gary Cannon, who applauded the students for their support of Urbina. “Given the nature of this specific case,” the administrators said, “we believe that decision, while conforming with our policy, was wrong.”

School officials say the dress code will soon be updated to no longer require female students to wear dresses in an effort to be more sensitive every student’s gender identity, but they realize they “still have much growth to achieve.”

The administrators added, “As a school, we must better learn how to support our students who are navigating issues of gender identity.”

Comments

1. If they're really sorry they'll reprint all the yearbooks with the omitted picture restored.

Posted by: David Lauri | May 26, 2014 9:02:18 AM

2. The apology is for the decision made in accordance with a policy which he does not apologize for. Thus it was a good policy, but because the decision caused media problems it must be apologized for. Damn bunch of cross-dressing child molesters pretending they speak for a disembodied consciousness, which doesn't exist, and thus are justified in all they do.

Posted by: Terry | May 26, 2014 9:06:46 AM

3. David, I seem to recall reading that they were going to reprint the books. I don't know if that proves sincerity, but it does prove they've got a lot of money laying around...

Posted by: BobN | May 26, 2014 9:57:20 AM

4. I honestly thought they used the wrong pic in the article because she looks like a dude

Posted by: Perry | May 26, 2014 11:22:05 AM

5. Then again, as I complete lack a pair of testicles I'm mistaken for a woman all the time. I was born with them, but I had them taken away by my parents and locked in a glass cabinet so everyone would see who owned my balls.

Posted by: Perry | May 26, 2014 11:46:35 AM

6. Aww look, someone thinks pretending to me is funny. Ha

Posted by: Perry | May 26, 2014 11:52:52 AM

7. would it kill a lesbian to wear a dress?

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 26, 2014 1:26:25 PM

8. After all, I wore one every night that my dad wanted me to do what my useless mom wouldn't.

Posted by: Homo Genius | May 26, 2014 1:35:11 PM

9. HOMO GENIUS: Will you expound upon your last comment?

Posted by: TKinSC | May 26, 2014 1:56:44 PM

10. perhaps archbishop sally will take off his dress now.

Posted by: woody | May 26, 2014 2:24:50 PM

11. The apology is meaningless without a mandatory reprint of all the yearbooks, so every student gets the corrected book.

Posted by: Randy | May 26, 2014 5:27:53 PM

12. BUT IF SHE SAID SHE WAS ENGAGED TO A WOMAN --- the henchmen of ArchQueen Cordileone would throw her to the wolves

Posted by: Bob K | May 26, 2014 5:47:08 PM

13. BUT IF SHE SAID SHE WAS ENGAGED TO A WOMAN --- the henchmen of ArchQueen Cordileone would throw her to the wolves

Posted by: Bob K | May 26, 2014 5:47:09 PM

14. Reading the cited Chronicle article it appears to me that the apology is hollow. The article stated it was unclear whether the yearbooks would be reprinted. I sincerely doubt that they will. Nobody interviewed said anything about anticipating a new yearbook or how the school redeemed itself in their eyes.

Catholics in the bay area have their new mafioso, er, cardinal, to thank.

Posted by: Burt | May 26, 2014 6:17:10 PM

15. LOLOL do the "deed" get the job done THEN say sorry and people fall for the Scheiße all the time

Posted by: L G. | May 27, 2014 4:12:56 AM

16. Another classic example of the vacuous, insincere apology after the damage is done. They have marred this young person's senior year with their bigotry. Unless they intend to reprint EVERY yearbook and re-distribute them, their apology smells as badly as a fart inside a spacesuit.

Posted by: Sean Westmann | May 27, 2014 2:26:52 PM

17. And, of course, they can go to confession and that will make everything all right. B—S!

Posted by: Sean Westmann | May 27, 2014 2:28:06 PM