CBS | David Letterman | Gay Media | Gay Quotes | Howard Stern | Neil Patrick Harris | News

Neil Patrick Harris Tells Howard Stern He Was Offered Job as Letterman's 'Late Show' Replacement: AUDIO

Nphlateshow

Neil Patrick Harris sat down with Howard Stern today to talk about his career, how coming out affected it, and what we may see from him in the future. The former star of How I Met Your Mother and current glamazon of Broadway (in Hedwig and the Angry Inch) told Stern that CBS approached him to host the Late Show after David Letterman bid the program farewell. NPH was looking for something a little more theatrical, though.

Vulture reports:

"[Les Moonves and CBS entertainment chairman Nina Tassler] called me in and sat me down and asked if [Late Show] was something I'd be interested in doing," Harris says. "In that instance, I felt like I knew what my skillsets were and I kind of knew what it is that I wanted to do after [How I Met Your Mother] … so I was surprised he pitched me that idea," he says. He wasn't interested in the 11:30 slot, nor was he interested in the 12:30 one. "I think I would get bored of the repetition fast, and the structure of it is so set," Harris says. "I don't have any interest in doing monologue, commercial, sketch, guest, guest, guest, musical act, good night."

Which is not to say Harris wouldn't be interested in another kind of show. "I liked this weekly variety thing," he says. "I think if it's weekly, and people really want to see it, and you trust that there's a lot of really great shit on there, then you're gonna get the guests to want to come on there — a weekly thing you'd have more time to prep for stuff, you could pre-tape stuff that would be really exciting, you could flesh it out more."

Would you want to see what Doogie Howser, M.D. could bring to the variety show format? Sound off in the comments below.

And listen to NPH's interview with Stern, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Too bad, he would have been perfect. I can see him doing amazing segments, like young Dave used to do on his show. Comedy bits, man-on-the-street stuff, stunts, all kinds of things. Neil would have been great.

Posted by: Jack | May 14, 2014 8:44:43 PM

2. So Colbert gets NPH's sloppy seconds? Coulda lived without knowing that.

Posted by: Loves Doogie! | May 14, 2014 8:51:13 PM

3. I grew up with The Carol Burnett show. I'd love to see the return of a good variety show to television. With NPH's Broadway chops and his popularity he might just be the guy to bring the format into the 21st century.

Posted by: Bill | May 14, 2014 8:55:45 PM

4. Perfect for who? Himself? Kimmel is the best.

Posted by: Arrow | May 14, 2014 9:10:12 PM

5. Variety is NPH's bag. He wouldn't be able to hack the structural rigidity of a talk show

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 14, 2014 9:41:00 PM

6. Is asking if he'd be interested in doing it the same as outright offering a job? I think a weekly variety show is a great idea.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | May 14, 2014 9:42:10 PM

7. I think it's great that an openly gay man was offered to be the host of a popular late night show. The times they are a changin'.

Posted by: David From Canada | May 14, 2014 9:55:50 PM

8. Let's quote "Peter, Paul & Mary" songs in 2014. Stretch....

Posted by: Arrow | May 14, 2014 11:09:17 PM

9. NPH should revisit how well the Rosie Odonnell show fared. Sharing the info about being offered 'first' sounded really tacky and small. I thought more of him than that.

Posted by: Geoff | May 15, 2014 12:20:29 AM

10. It doesn't sound like he was actually offered a job, just a query as to his interest in it. I'm sure CBS asked around a lot before they narrowed down their selection. Why vet someone and see if it's going to work if they don't even want the job?

Posted by: Stephen in Laguna | May 15, 2014 12:25:52 AM

11. I'm sure in his case they would have had him whip up a sample show and see if it worked. But anyway, it's something you really have to want to do. It's a five days a week year round gig. Doing plays and shows and films and TV is a different experience. His call.

Posted by: emjayay | May 15, 2014 12:48:27 AM

12. I'm sure in his case they would have had him whip up a sample show and see if it worked. But anyway, it's something you really have to want to do. It's a five days a week year round gig. Doing plays and shows and films and TV is a different experience. His call.

Posted by: emjayay | May 15, 2014 12:48:27 AM

13. I'm sure in his case they would have had him whip up a sample show and see if it worked. But anyway, it's something you really have to want to do. It's a five days a week year round gig. Doing plays and shows and films and TV is a different experience. His call.

Posted by: emjayay | May 15, 2014 12:48:30 AM

14. His socks are too short.

Posted by: TKinSC | May 15, 2014 1:50:14 AM

15. NPH would be amazing at hosting (and constructing) a contemporary version of the Sonny & Cher Show and the Carol Burnett Show. One hour, week night, prime time. He'd be the new Dean Martin.

Posted by: Lu | May 15, 2014 3:29:33 AM

16. The guy is an awesome talent and he has the finest nipples in the business.

Posted by: mdnc | May 15, 2014 7:16:09 AM

17. The guy is an awesome talent and he has the finest nipples in the business.

Posted by: mdnc | May 15, 2014 7:16:09 AM

18. Yes, yes, please bring back the weekly variety show. Fill it with music, dance, comedy sketches, and all the things that make us want to be alive in this world. I'm starving for some non-fiction fun that seems to be lacking in the entertainment world right now. Make it Sunday at 9pm, and better yet, make it and hour and a half long.

Posted by: Keith | May 15, 2014 7:20:37 AM

19. I think NPH could have been good at it, but if his heart wasn't in it, then no. I LOVE the idea of him in a Burnettesqe 21st Century variety show!

Posted by: John | May 15, 2014 8:01:35 AM

20. The marketing types would probably not be down with a variety show that's most likely going to only appeal to those born before 1968. The demographic that stays up late enough for Letterman (and isn't interested in Tivo-ing everything) is most likely younger by 10 years. The rest of us get up at 6:30 or so and need to be at work by 8:00, therefore are asleep by 10:30 at the earliest.

A well-written SNL-type show with some interviews might be more the style, but I just can't see a standard song-and-dance number getting very good viewership and gays are a pretty small percentage of the viewing population. Let's face it, that kind of Carol Burnett-esque entertainment (unless screamingly funny or shocking, ala The Lawrence Welk bits on SNL) was relegated to the dustbin 2 decades ago. It would be far too schmaltzy for the 30-somethings and 20-somethings. Anyone younger isn't going to be watching a talk show. Who is the biggest late-nite network TV demographic is anyone's guess, but I'd say it's not 20-somethings, which is the very market (with expendable income) that TV execs are after due to advertising pressures.

Posted by: johnny | May 15, 2014 8:01:58 AM

21. Wait a second; isn't Howard Stern that homophobic creep who's every other word was 'faggot' for many years? What is any self-respecting gay individual doing speaking to that scum-bag?

Posted by: C.F. Girard | May 15, 2014 8:39:46 AM

22. Howard is not homophobic in the least. George Takei s part of his crew, and he adores NPH.

I can't see NPH or anyone else creating "a variety show that's most likely going to only appeal to those born before 1968." A 2014 variety show would have to be a different sort of animal. It can be done but it takes work.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 15, 2014 9:12:26 AM

23. @C.F. Girard: I'm with you on this. Stern was very disrespectful towards gays for many years, which was the reason why I avoided him. However, for some reason (during my avoidance years) something about his on-the-air tone has changed.

Some say it's because he had some sort of an epiphany; and some say it's because a friend of his came out to him. Whatever the reason, if he has indeed changed his views, then ANY change would be better than the vile garbage he used to spew.

Stern's career seemed to have risen during a period when it was cool to bash gay people, especially if you had a talk show or a radio show where you could bash with impunity and the advertisers didn't care. Some of them actually encouraged it.

Now, because the advertisers have finally discovered that we do have financial and political clout, it is no longer good for their bottom line to have a hate speaker representing their products and services. Remember, advertising pays the salaries of the media bosses and the online talent. Me thinks someone may have sat down with Howard and told him it's no longer cool to bash gay people.

So yes, Howard did bash us, sometimes with venom and conviction, like we were the scum of the earth. He seemed to have taken pride in it, actually, in his earlier radio days. But his attitude seems to have turned a corner.

Jillian Barberie is one of his closest friends, and she is very accepting and respectful of the gay community. Maybe she had something to do with his change of attitude.

Posted by: Mark | May 15, 2014 9:32:11 AM

24. The Variety gap was somewhat filled by all the singing competition shows years later. They are on the downturn now. One host was able do dodge gay speculation, by hiding under the absurd "metrosexual" moment.

Posted by: Gary | May 15, 2014 10:13:29 AM

25. I always love watching Neil sing, dance, and crack jokes--but if he throws in David Burtka doing a fan dance/striptease, SET THE DVR!!

Posted by: Dback | May 15, 2014 10:14:43 AM