Gay Eagle Scout Urges Amazon to Drop Boy Scouts from Charity List

Tessier

Gay Eagle Scout Pascal Tessier has launched a campaign protesting Amazon's support of the Boy Scouts, the Washington Post reports:

Pascal Tessier, a 17-year-old from Chevy Chase, Md., who made history when he received the Boy Scouts’ highest ranking earlier this year, held a news conference Monday in front of Amazon.com’s office in Northwest Washington. At the event, he announced his intent to deliver more than 120,000 signatures to the company’s Seattle office in an effort to encourage the online retailer to drop the Boy Scouts from the list of organizations that can benefit from its charitable program, AmazonSmile.

Amazon spokesman Ty Togers told the WaPo that it's the Southern Poverty Law Center's responsibility that the charity is on Amazon's list: "We rely on lists published by the Southern Poverty Law Center and the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control to determine if certain organizations are ineligible to participate."

Tessier plans to travel to Seattle on Wednesday to petition the company and CEO Jeff Bezos, who also owns the WaPo.

Comments

1. Randy says

“it’s the Southern Poverty Law Center’s responsibility”

No. It’s Amazon’s responsibility. Whether you copy your answers from someone else, or come up with your own, you are responsible for your actions.

Further, SPLC has been steadily losing credibility, as it experiences so much mission creep it’s no longer able to judge groups based on anything other than existing prejudices for or against them. It’s basically the equivalent of HuffPo, and is coasting on its past reputation.

2. Alan says

How much does Amazon give to the Boy Scouts? If they’re matching employee donations then I don’t really object (a few grand?). If they’re donating millions I’d be more concerned.

As a reminder, Bezos (not Amazon) now owns the Washington Post.

3. Alan says

As a reminder, Bezos (not Amazon) now owns the Washington Post.

4. Petey says

This kid clearly doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The scouts to a lot of great work with young men to make them the masculine and self-reliant men of the future, with a clear sense of right and wrong and the strength to keep uncomfortable and decisive elements of their lives separate. Just because the leadership of this organization wants to keep sexuality separate from this informative environment doesn’t make them a hate group. Then again, the liberal gay mafia doesn’t need facts to come to a conclusion.

5. Rick says

6. terry says

I urge people with a sense of decency to contact both Amazon and the Southern Poverty Law Center to support Mr. Tessier. The BSA is a discriminatory club that accepts public funding form a great many sources. European scouts find it unbelievable that the BSA has policy of discrimination. If sticking up for rights makes me part of the liberal gay mafia then sign me up.

7. Mike says

Despite hearing a lot about it and it’s ‘Gay Agenda’, I have never encountered any form of ‘Liberal Gay Mafia’, and I’ve looked. I’m a gay man and I don’t like the idea of it, but it doesn’t exist so it isn’t something I worry about. What does exist are people that jump to conclusions.

For what it’s worth, I was a in the British Scouts and I have my doubts about the organisation as a whole, most of which have nothing to do with sexuality at all.

Without speaking to Mr. Tessier, or reading a more in depth article that clearly and concisely covers Mr. Tessier’s reasons for his actions, I would be very reticent to jump on any bandwagons, let alone start make outrageous claims about the decision making ability and/or rationality of one. To do so would be to demean Mr. Tessier, the global Scouting community and myself. This article is a statement of intent, not an investigation of reasons.

8. woody says

this kid should succeed and amazon should stop. the kick you out at 18 policy is out of synch with the values scouting otherwise espouses. the men who head the organization are confused. the kids aren’t.