Michael Jackson | Music | Music Video | News

Michael Jackson Returns as Hologram for 'Billboard Music Awards': VIDEO

Hologram_jackson

A hologram of the late king of pop Michael Jackson performed a new track Slave to the Rhythm at the 2014 Billboard Music Awards, delivering the singer's trademark dance moves, leaving some folks asking, is this the future of music and will these ever replace the real thing?

Watch three versions, AFTER THE JUMP...

Billboard has five holograms which preceded MJ.

(note: these clips are vanishing from the web, so watch while you can)

Comments

1. Ugh - the disgusting child molester.

Posted by: MaryM | May 19, 2014 7:49:46 AM

2. It was well done. Great song too.

Posted by: Brian W. | May 19, 2014 7:55:04 AM

3. It's not new to use holographics. 10 years strong, Miku Hatsune has been performing inJapan. As far as other deceased, yes it's picking up traction, but as far as the technology, no, its been here.

Posted by: CC | May 19, 2014 7:55:28 AM

4. "And what does it mean for an awards show when a hologram gives the night's most talked-about performance?"

It means that holograms are new, trendy, and still extremely uncommon. The combination of that with a hugely popular recently deceased performer who still has unreleased material means it's inevitable that it will get a lot of buzz.

It doesn't even start to imply that it was the best song, best performance, or that the future of music is all downhill. People have been declaring modern music dead for generations if not centuries. I seem to remember reading that people felt the waltz was scandalous and frivolous in its day.

I vividly remember people declaring that videos had killed all hope for modern music.

I have no idea what the 2010's are going to be known for (I suspect Adele, at least), but music will be just fine.

Posted by: Lymis | May 19, 2014 7:58:43 AM

5. The Billboard Music Awards were forgettable. Most of the performances were lip-synced. I was Bill-bored.

Posted by: petey | May 19, 2014 8:29:45 AM

6. New technologies only enhance the music experience. This was true when the wax cylinder allowed audiences to hear the same performance time after time & the future now promises limitless possibilities.

I want my hologramophone!

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | May 19, 2014 8:31:14 AM

7. "And what does it mean for an awards show when a hologram gives the night's most talked-about performance?"

It means that corporately promoted pop music is crap.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 19, 2014 9:14:52 AM

8. "And what does it mean for an awards show when a hologram gives the night's most talked-about performance?"

It means that corporately promoted pop music is crap.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | May 19, 2014 9:15:23 AM

9. I guess I'm an idiot...

I liked it and thought it was pretty cool.

Posted by: pete n sfo | May 19, 2014 9:24:34 AM

10. I was amazed, impressive technology.

Posted by: Rob | May 19, 2014 9:51:28 AM

11. I was amazed, impressive technology.

Posted by: Rob | May 19, 2014 9:51:32 AM

12. Let. The. Man. Rest. In. Peace. Stop with the necrophilia.

Posted by: Dback | May 19, 2014 9:54:39 AM

13. Let. The. Man. Rest. In. Peace. Stop with the necrophilia.

Posted by: Dback | May 19, 2014 9:54:53 AM

14. Let. The. Man. Rest. In. Peace. Stop with the necrophilia.

Posted by: Dback | May 19, 2014 9:55:11 AM

15. I thought the dancing was pretty sub par for Michael, it lacked the oomph. I think if he had actually danced that performance he would have been disappointed with it. Assuming they used a body double for the dance moves, they should have found someone better.

Posted by: antisaint | May 19, 2014 10:28:29 AM

16. I thought the dancing was pretty sub par for Michael, it lacked the oomph. I think if he had actually danced that performance he would have been disappointed with it. Assuming they used a body double for the dance moves, they should have found someone better.

Posted by: antisaint | May 19, 2014 10:28:46 AM

17. It's just his family trying to squeeze every dime they can out of a dead man.

Posted by: calpoidog | May 19, 2014 6:05:52 PM

18. It's just his family trying to squeeze every dime they can out of a dead man. He was their cash cow.

Posted by: calpoidog | May 19, 2014 6:06:12 PM

19. The REAL MJ was a thrilling, electrifying, dynamic performer. Few people can measure up to his powerful stage presence today, maybe not anyone really.

Posted by: Red | May 19, 2014 6:11:53 PM

20. The REAL MJ was a thrilling, electrifying, dynamic performer. Few people can measure up to his powerful stage presence today, maybe not anyone really.

Posted by: Red | May 19, 2014 6:12:09 PM

21. I agree with Wendy Williams,the Jackson family is totally creepy. Let the dead rest in peace.

Posted by: greenfuzz | May 19, 2014 9:37:34 PM

22. I agree with Wendy Williams,the Jackson family is totally creepy. Let the dead rest in peace.

Posted by: greenfuzz | May 19, 2014 9:37:40 PM

23. It's clear he was lip synching.

Posted by: Sam | May 19, 2014 9:51:54 PM

24. Dead pedophile.

Posted by: Tristram | May 20, 2014 12:49:16 AM

25. Still dead...still a freak.

Posted by: Bruce Wayne | May 20, 2014 2:01:56 AM